Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Catboarding

Poster: A snowHead
Howdy, just wanted some opinions on when to do a catboarding day at Whistler over a 10 day holiday. I mean I'd like to get my legs back in the game for a couple of days but I normally get fatigued by day 3 and power through to the 5th day when I generally get a second wind and go on to the end. So with the option of only 1 shot at it (unless its amazing) I really wanted to time it right and thought to ask how others might do it.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Helicopters (which you're not asking about) often are unable to fly in Whistler because of the weather. It snows a lot, and the temperature of it isn't always conducive to flight, For those you want to book as early as you're comfortable with, in case you get skunked by the weather and need to shift your trip backwards.

Cats are much more reliable. There are still a couple of scenarios which prevent them running once the season's underway: rain top-to-bottom; not enough snow to fill in old tracks. Those are fairly uncommon, but if you're nervous then simply leave a gap before the end of your trip so you've some flexibility if the weather's uncooperative.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Gainz, I thought from the thread title it was going to be about cats skateboarding! Madeye-Smiley

e.g

http://youtube.com/v/s3-Rxz8AEHI
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I thought that too @Alastair Pink and fortunately, thanks to your post, I wasn't disappointed snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Really? Wow! Then you guys need to head over to the thread 'Spyder tailored fit ski trousers' it's all about finding tiny trousers for arachnids!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've never seen a spider with fat legs.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Here's one...

http://youtube.com/v/YoB8t0B4jx4&t=30s
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Best Spider-dog video ever......

@Gainz, I'll let you know, I've just rebooked my aborted Japan trip from last year - I've a week in Furano and 9 days in Niseko. I'm intending to hit up Niseko Weiss for a day - Did you head there?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@rogg, yes mate I done a day at Mt Weiss. Was the best day overall on the snow for me. We had a semi pow day in Niseko but it didn't last long enough.

As for the others - shame on you (includes you admin) Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is that a Toxic Avenger mask? Cool.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've been to Whilster three times over the last five years, each trip consisting of 10+ days on snow.

On two of the trips I enquired about SnowCats and Helis and on both I didn't go due to weather, already booked up by other people or lack of (fresh) snow.

Even went on a cancellations list to no avail

Its not always in your sphere of control

They don't run every day
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You probably already know but these guys do single days:

https://www.powdermountaincatskiing.com/
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How do you get attach the snowboard bindings to the cat?! Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
slowboarder wrote:
You probably already know but these guys do single days:

https://www.powdermountaincatskiing.com/

Did a day with those guys in January, showed all the time, but we got I think 6 or 7 runs in through the trees. It snowed so much our tracks were filled in on some runs by the time we got back to the top. ( We didn't ski the same run twice, just could see where had previously been) Definitely recommend it, we had a mix of skiers and boarders. Only one chap ended up in a tree well......
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Powder mountain is who we're looking at, from your experience guys how tough is the advanced group?
ski holidays
Haha me too... Every time I saw the title in New Posts I got the image of snow-/wake-/kite-boarding over some cats - to the point that I had to finally take a peek. Which frankly is a bit more dubious than cats doing those activities. I'll take a long hard look at myself.
ski holidays
It depends. Full disclosure: I run the booking system and website for Powder Mountain. And they don't do discounts I'm afraid. Most of this also applies to other operators in other locations of course.

Short version: it'll work out fine.

The way it works is that people sign up and say what their experience is, then the operations people try to "group them up" into compatible groups. Sometimes there's only one cat running (it depends on the number of guests and available fresh lines), other times there will be two. As everyone goes up in the cat together, there's not that much flexibility there (this is a good thing... wait a sec...). The limiting factor even with a professional group is the speed of the cat descending, so there's really no race to the bottom, so a wide range of ability can actually work in one cat. Better, they have two guides... one at the front and one at the back. If you have a wide ability difference, the group can split with one guide each. If there's a very wide gap, very slow people can be "leap frogged" if the cat's working the same area.

I would call into the shop, or give the operations manager (Gord) a call and talk it through with them just before. They'll know what sort of people they have, and they'll be interested to know what you want to do. They do that stuff (not me), so I can't really talk you through it. On the plus side, if you're really struggling you can ride down in the cat and not slow anyone else up (it happens, but it's very rare).

It depends what you mean by "tough". PM me if you want to be more specific. But really it'll be fine - be honest when talking to them about your experience and they'll make sure you get in the best place. They want everyone to have a great day, so they are keen to help.
ski holidays
Thanks philwig, I'll go with the advance group and step up my game me thinks!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy