Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Remote working

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@philwig, my company is exceedingly risk adverse when it comes to interpreting the rules (and it is also true that we have a large number of the more mature person working here Happy)

However wanted to warn people so they could do their own checks given the topic under discussion.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am trying to decide a resort now. Both Chamonix and Verbier have coworking spaces. I would like a coworking space for two main reasons - professional work set up and a community to plug into. I'll pose a few questions and describe my skiing ability and desires so hopefully people can help tease out where might be better for me. I would probably be going for 3/4 weeks.

- Is Verbier a lot more expensive in Chamonix?
- I am a competent piste skier, I can comfortably ski any piste really. I've been on 6 one week holidays, the last 2 being Val d'Isere and St. Anton and I really loved the challenge of the pistes there and didn't feel out of my comfort zone. I also did a day with a guide off piste in St. Anton last year. And this is what I want to more of - off piste skiing. Which resort would be better for getting into off piste? From reading stuff Chamonix seems a bit more at the extreme end of things than Verbier.
- The rough plan would be to ski for 3 or 4 hours in the mornings and then work afternoons and nights. Which resort is better for quick access to the slopes? I've read Chamonix's lift system is pretty bad, is a car required in Chamonix?
- Is it easier in either place to find people to ski with?

All comments and suggestions are welcome, including other resorts.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I did most of a season in Cham and now have a place in Verbier. Some answers below...

conor90 wrote:
I am trying to decide a resort now. Both Chamonix and Verbier have coworking spaces. I would like a coworking space for two main reasons - professional work set up and a community to plug into. I'll pose a few questions and describe my skiing ability and desires so hopefully people can help tease out where might be better for me. I would probably be going for 3/4 weeks.

- Is Verbier a lot more expensive in Chamonix?

Both expensive resorts. Verbier a bit more expensive but not significantly so

conor90 wrote:
- I am a competent piste skier, I can comfortably ski any piste really. I've been on 6 one week holidays, the last 2 being Val d'Isere and St. Anton and I really loved the challenge of the pistes there and didn't feel out of my comfort zone. I also did a day with a guide off piste in St. Anton last year. And this is what I want to more of - off piste skiing. Which resort would be better for getting into off piste? From reading stuff Chamonix seems a bit more at the extreme end of things than Verbier.

Arguably the 2 best resorts in the world for off piste terrain with plenty of variety from easy to super gnarly. Chamonix has some more stuff right on the edge of crazy and better touring accessed. Verbier better for the advanced skier and more lift accessed including marked itineraries (which are safer if you’re skiing alone)

conor90 wrote:
- The rough plan would be to ski for 3 or 4 hours in the mornings and then work afternoons and nights. Which resort is better for quick access to the slopes? I've read Chamonix's lift system is pretty bad, is a car required in Chamonix?

Chamonix is fragmented but provides lots of variety. Doable by bus if you rent near the main road but much easier with a car. Most of Verbier is accessed by one feeder lift so typically easier/faster access

conor90 wrote:
- Is it easier in either place to find people to ski with?

Both super easy. Loads of seasonaires

conor90 wrote:
All comments and suggestions are welcome, including other resorts.

Both great options. Suspect Verbier may suit you better if the extra cost not a deal breaker. Look at Le Chable if you want cheaper accommodation.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
BobinCH Thanks, that's just the kind of info I'm looking for. Skiing wise, Verbier seems more suited to what I'm looking for. However, reasonably priced accommodation at this late stage seems harder to come by, while I have found an apartment for a great price in Chamonix.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
conor90 wrote:

- I am a competent piste skier, I can comfortably ski any piste really.

Wouldn't bother with Cham then. I don't know Verbier but would go somewhere more aimed at competent piste skiers. Bourg St Maurice might be a good base, Alpe d'Huez has very accessible ski runs. One of the Three Valleys satellites. Or Serre Chavalier, that's always looks pretty mild in Gav's videos that he posts. I understand that a co-working space seems to be important though.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Wouldn't bother with Cham then. I don't know Verbier but would go somewhere more aimed at competent piste skiers. Bourg St Maurice might be a good base, Alpe d'Huez has very accessible ski runs. One of the Three Valleys satellites. Or Serre Chavalier, that's always looks pretty mild in Gav's videos that he posts. I understand that a co-working space seems to be important though.

I'm keen to get into off piste as opposed to more piste skiing, I intend to do a course of some sort and get some guiding. I am confident on any piste so I don't think I need somewhere that's a bit easier, if that's what you're saying? Or do you mean Cham is limited unless you're very experienced or want to do touring?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof wrote:
Serre Chavalier

That’s a bit harsh on poor old @Weathercam Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
conor90 wrote:
Quote:

I'm keen to get into off piste as opposed to more piste skiing, I intend to do a course of some sort and get some guiding. I am confident on any piste so I don't think I need somewhere that's a bit easier, if that's what you're saying? Or do you mean Cham is limited unless you're very experienced or want to do touring?

IMO you’ll be fine in Cham. It’s a bit of a shame the top lift at Grands Montets is out this season but you’ve got plenty of terrain to explore if you include GM, Brevent/Flegere, Le Tour/Vallorcine and Aiguille du midi (with a guide). And with a car you can also access Courmayeur and Verbier for some day trips.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BobinCH wrote:

IMO you’ll be fine in Cham. It’s a bit of a shame the top lift at Grands Montets is out this season but you’ve got plenty of terrain to explore if you include GM, Brevent/Flegere, Le Tour/Vallorcine and Aiguille du midi (with a guide). And with a car you can also access Courmayeur and Verbier for some day trips.

He's only got a couple of hours in the morning free, by the time he's schlepped himself to the slopes in Cham it will be time to get online with the Yanks until 10pm.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ok I'll bite Toofy Grin

@davidof, when I need a steep fix, which at my age is no longer critical, I can just nip over the Col and ski there........

Which one of these days you might actually do on a serious/regular basis, but then you'd need a guide Laughing

Seriously, I like my lines mellow and mild especially when touring (and with my OH), and here we do have rather nice tree skiing, which I should be doing more of tomorrow, conditions weather allowing Cool

This was Per's wife today, and I've extracted the location from him Smile

And back on topic, good ski tour today, and only 3hrs away from home/desk, and able to do all the immediate work before and after.

And God forbid I do pick up an urgent email whilst en route I can always answer it explaining I'll be on the case very soon etc etc

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 12-12-18 9:19; edited 8 times in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BobinCH wrote:
davidof wrote:
Serre Chavalier

That’s a bit harsh on poor old @Weathercam Very Happy

ooops Numb fingers on the phone.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Interesting thread this, i'd been thinking about this the other day.

Definitely a no go for me this season, only started the new role last Monday, but i'm wondering if I could wangle it next year!? Even if I started at 10, I could get an hour in before work, and ski the weekends.

My firm has employees all over the UK, many of which are home workers, so could be a potential. Will keep an eye on this to see how others fare.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davidof wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

He's only got a couple of hours in the morning free, by the time he's schlepped himself to the slopes in Cham it will be time to get online with the Yanks until 10pm.

I felt that's an important point that many others might have overlooked. Though I could be wrong...

Some years back, I purposely chose a "second shift" position with the goal of getting in half a day of skiing before work. I only needed to be online at 4pm, which is very similar to the OP's requirement. I only lived 20 minuets from a small mountain, with parking right next to the lift. I could take the last chair up at 3, got off and blasted down to the bottom, changed out of my boots, drove home and logon while in my ski outfit. The next 20 minutes, I changed out of my ski outfits (but no shower), grabbed a bite to eat while going through my e-mails (or dialing in on a conference call). That's almost a full day of skiing.

Had I needed to drive further or, park somewhere else and take a shuttle to the bottom lift, or takes 2 lifts to "real" skiing, or take a lift to get back to where I parked, I would have had to quit earlier in order to make it back home and be "at work".

Also, because I had to worked till late, it was a bit of a struggle to get up early the next morning to make first chair, especially towards the latter part of the week. And all that was only 20 min of driving. Had the "ski commute" been longer each way, it would had made an exhaustingly long day.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I felt that's an important point that many others might have overlooked. Though I could be wrong...

Some years back, I purposely chose a "second shift" position with the goal of getting in half a day of skiing before work. I only needed to be online at 4pm, which is very similar to the OP's requirement. I only lived 20 minuets from a small mountain, with parking right next to the lift. I could take the last chair up at 3, got off and blasted down to the bottom, changed out of my boots, drove home and logon while in my ski outfit. The next 20 minutes, I changed out of my ski outfits (but no shower), grabbed a bite to eat while going through my e-mails (or dialing in on a conference call). That's almost a full day of skiing.

Had I needed to drive further or, park somewhere else and take a shuttle to the bottom lift, or takes 2 lifts to "real" skiing, or take a lift to get back to where I parked, I would have had to quit earlier in order to make it back home and be "at work".

Also, because I had to worked till late, it was a bit of a struggle to get up early the next morning to make first chair, especially towards the latter part of the week. And all that was only 20 min of driving. Had the "ski commute" been longer each way, it would had made an exhaustingly long day.

They're good points and it's something I have been considering. If I can make up my mind tomorrow, I'd have an apartment in the centre of Cham near Aiguille du Midi. I could stick to the areas directly around Cham midweek and venture further to the likes of Les Houches and Argentiere at weekends. How long do they take to get to by bus? How far is Flegere by bus?

I wouldn't live somewhere where I'd have to drive a long distance to a resort, that's why I'm ruling out a town like Bourg. If I can get 2, maybe 3 hours skiing in in the morning I'd be happy. And then ski weekends. I'd also have the flexibility of taking a day off if the weather forecast was favorable. Also, I don't necessarily have to do an 8 hour day, I just have to get my work done - often that's a 6 hour day. Let's be honest who in an office does 8 hours of solid work?!

Verbier is probably the best suited, except I can't seem to find accommodation priced anywhere close to the offer I have in Cham. So it comes down to this - being stuck in the UK or spending 3/4 weeks in Cham. Thinking about it like that is starting to make my mind up for me.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@conor90, The real annoyance is the foreign ringtone that gives it away that you are not 'at home' !
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy