Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many weeks do you ski per year?

Poster: A snowHead
There are a lot of seemingly keen skiers on this forum and I am wondering how many weeks per year people here get to ski?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@waitrose, most weekends from now till May. Week off booked in March. Probably the 10 days of Xmas.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@waitrose, approximately 16 weeks this winter. It would be more but I need to go home for a week in the middle to maintain domestic harmony.

One of the upsides of retirement.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Similar thread from before:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2886170&highlight=job#2886170
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In last 2 years have done ~ 6 weeks/trips.

Looking to increase by plans for freelancing and moving during winter to Alps.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
4 weeks last year, hoping to hit 5 this year with a help from a epic pass.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

One of the upsides of retirement.

Four to five weeks.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
30 days for me, wife and children did 42 days last year. Full-time job in London caps my time on the piste, but also pays for my time on the piste!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Four weeks:

PSB.Tignes
Christmas in Livigno
PreBB Alleghe
BB Arabba
snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@waitrose, Why did you choose weeks as your unit of measurement instead of days or even hours? Some people take a week's skiing to be 5 or 6 days others 7 or 8.

Anyway I managed 26 days last year split up over 4 trips, so I suppose in answer to your question 3.7. Next season I hope it it will be about 35
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnE wrote:
@waitrose, Why did you choose weeks as your unit of measurement instead of days or even hours?

Presumably because most people do weeks and he's not that fussed about the odd hour either way? rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Averaging 2 weeks a year Sad would be more if i had the annual leave to do it. Planning to switch to contracting in the next couple of years so i can spend most of the winter months in the alps.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
2 or 3 days a week, plus got a week off at Christmas and again at the end of Jan. Might take another week off in March too.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well I get 27 days annual leave from work so last year I think I topped 50 days just about. Was a bit lower previous year but I did break a leg which took a few weekends out of play.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
varies.
typically 2 6 day weeks, plus 1-2bonus days at each end of those, plus typically about 3-4 weekends
all depends on how busy work is and how the on-call weeks clash with convenient weekends to get away, and which weekends are left between new yr and the BB. (I did end up in the same hotel in Innsbruck once for 4 weekends in a row - I try to avoid that and space them out a bit)
ski holidays
In a good year,
6-10 days in Wales
6-10 days somewhere in continental Europe
40-50 days on Hokkaido, Japan
ski holidays
In a bad year 50 days total. In a good year 200 days.

BUT prior to giving up the rat race - I once had the idea I was going to be a desk bound engineer (prior to doing a ski season in Whistler 98-99) 20 days a year....for free. I figured out at University, if you run the trips you get to go on them for nothing.

Now I live (and have done so for 2 decades) in a ski resort. I may spend 50%+ of my income on rent and drive a 21+ year old car but I visit my desk to read snowheads Wink
snow report
@Mike Pow, please tell, where in Wales cam you get 6 days of skiing or is it a dry slope. Maybe I am missing out on something here Puzzled
snow report
I'm becoming a bit of a fair weather skier, I seem to average about 80 odd days a year now though after finally getting my priorities sorted.
snow conditions
@MogulMonkey, There is a thread on snow conditions in Wales here. I haven't skied on Welsh snow for quite a few years but have done it.
ski holidays
Generally one, but last year was two for the first time and this season will be three. Hopefully I can keep pumping up those numbers
snow report
Scarpa wrote:
I'm becoming a bit of a fair weather skier, I seem to average about 80 odd days a year now though after finally getting my priorities sorted.

Real question is are your priorities sorted enough to make the EOSB?
snow conditions
Quote:

Maybe I am missing out on something here

O yes. You are missing out on some inspirational reports and pictures of skiing in Wales. Do a forum search on Brecon Beacons. wink
latest report
50 days planned this year, the wife and my 8 year old son are doing 64.
latest report
One
latest report
Not enough Crying or Very sad
snow report
25 fewer than I'd like.
ski holidays
Same as the previous 14 years.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks like I'm in the minority with 2 - but that's only been for the past couple..

I've just dropped a days work from my "day job" to concentrate on a business I'm running.. if all goes to plan it won't matter where I work from, and I'm hoping that with that I'll have more time to spend with my family and getting involved in my childrens school life, and as well if it pays the bills - open up more opportunity for me to ski more.
latest report
40-45 days snowboarding out of a 60 day trip in the motorhome. Limited by insurances rather than time off as I'm self employed. Home & business both limited to 60 days left vacant , annual multitrip travel covers up to 60 day trips with a maximum of 45 days skiing so it all works out quite nicely.

I could take more time off but shouldn't really and I'd have the hassle of rearranging insurances. 6 years to retirement then all bets are off!
snow report
rjs wrote:
@MogulMonkey, There is a thread on snow conditions in Wales here. I haven't skied on Welsh snow for quite a few years but have done it.

Awesome, I wasn't aware you could ski there. Following that thread now Very Happy
ski holidays
It would probably be helpful with a bit of context.. live in a ski area,retired, kids etc? It's mind boggling the amount of time some people can pack in

Working full time in the UK, with a normal holiday allowance, and only myself to pay for, I'm on 3 weeks a year/season Very Happy
snow report
@Robin Agogo, Trick is to max out on extra days where you can. Over an average Easter weekend you can get 6 days in for only 2 days off work if you travel aggressively for instance, over Xmas/ Ny you get up to 16 days for 7 days leave. Throw in May day BH and you're at 25 days and you haven't even taken 2 weeks off work.

It's do able - it's not cheap or necesaarily relaxing and you need to be prepared to dodge family events etc but as a UK desk jockey it is still possible to get in more skiing/boarding than a seasonnaire worker.
snow conditions
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Scarpa wrote:

Real question is are your priorities sorted enough to make the EOSB?

We are making arrangements already Toofy Grin
latest report
@Robin Agogo, as DotM suggests, you just need a bit of planning. Our last year in the UK we managed 58 ski days with only 10 days leave taken.

Then we moved to the Alps to avoid reverse commuting...
snow conditions
I usually get my first ski day in early/mid December, and my last mid April. Between those I definately ski every week. Sometimes 2-3 days, sometimes 6, but then I do spend the whole winter in a ski resort! The only winter in the last 14 I didn't spend wholly in a ski resort, I took 5 ski trips. One long weekend, three week's, and one 10 day Japan trip. That was only because the OH had said it was about time I didn't do a season. After she realised how much we spent, it was 'you getting another role for a ski TO again?' Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
It's quality not quantity Cool

Living in resort it's easy to say that I know.

I'll go out XC when others are going up the hill.

And other days just can't be arsed.

And I'll opt for ski touring over lifts.

And in Spring have been known to cycle rather than ski.

Likewise this weekend opted for indoor cycle training in my garage rather than braving the storms.

So maybe I'm a tad strange ? Little Angel Blush

Better question would be how many days do you ski waist deep powder Smile

Over to Mike Pow

Or look at my Siberian thread in Off Piste.....boom boom Laughing
latest report
Roughly 60-70 days per season.
latest report
130 ski days this calendar year: 47 @ St Anton, and 83 @ Falls Creek (pretty much the whole season, minus 1 week in August).

8 weeks in St Anton coming up shortly.
snow report
2-4 weeks for me. Restricted by a combination of work/money/other hobbies using days off work.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy