Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Most influential skis/favourite skis

Poster: A snowHead
And K2 Coomback too .. and probably a couple of others Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Another vote for the P9SL, but I guess it all depends on your age.

Snowboards (not that you're asking) in chronological order...
  • Nitro Scorpion - a practial non-asym race design
  • Burton Fish - when we discovered powder boards didn't need to be big
  • Kessler SL - no race has been won on glass since these arrived
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name wrote:
@offpisteskiing, not the 4S. Not nice at all. Dull, uninspiring.

I quite liked them! (Maybe that says something about me (in the same vein as owners resembling their dogs...- yikes! Happy )
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
none of mine are influential.

of those I rented, I spose Elan, given that they influenced the entire "carving ski" thing (although Head seemed to be the one that cashed in the most back then).

favourite are currently Atomic ST, but fancy something different now... n=n+2
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Most influential

Dynastar Course Chickenhearts
Snowboards
Elan SCX
X Scream
1080/Pocket Rocket
Gotama
Mothership
Spatula
DPS Wailer
S7/Soul 7

I'll raise you Rossignol 4S (same tech applied a different way same factory as the Dynastar) - Best selling ski of all time
Volkl P9 - THE standard of performance of the era

Elan SCX agreed

Volkl Explosive, not the first fat ski or the most popular of its time (Atomic PowderPlus) but the ski that made ALL conditions possible with bruit force and is still relevant today - also happens to be the longest manufactured ski of all time at 13 years!

1080, yup - first mass market twin/park ski

Pocket Rocket yup also but separate form the 1080 - this was the "cheating stick" that let ANYONE ski powder.

Gotoma/Mothership, irrelevant bystanders compared to PR

Spatula, yes in changing the shape of skis. BUT a commercial disaster, 50% were sold at below cost just to get rid of them. AND it was awful to ski on. On firm ground it literally tried to kill you!

DPS wailer yes

Dynastar Cham (Much more relevant than it's sister form Rossi) despite being late to the party it's sold more than any other, and it's still going years later!

There are some piste specific skis that should be included but not my area of expertise.

We mustn't forget SNOWBLADES - yes those nasty abominations. They cemented the dominance of short skis on piste. And easy to ski skis! But should have gone away once their job was done!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bit surprised with the love for 1080s- really soft and flappy, no?

The biggest change I found was switching from conventional skinny SL (e.g., KS SL) and GS skis (e.g, Rossi 7X) to my first "shaped" skis Atomic 9.22 (actually think it was the early model Betaride R9) - "short" at 180cm and "wide" at 72mm waist. But it could have been any ski of the era - like xscreams.

Think my favourites are still original Stockli Stormrider XLs 174cm and 75mm (XL!!!). Still ski on them a few days a year and they are class in every respect. Carve like a race ski with a big enough shovel to work in powder plus power and stiffness to chop through all sorts of crud if you give them enough speed. They were billed as being hard work to ski but they always make me feel like I'm actually quite good when I'm on them.

After that everything has been a bit progressive and I've always been aware of what I was giving up for the extra that I got (that is engineering compromises for you). I really like the WD R108s I ski on most days but the stocklis are much better on piste and similar if the off piste is skied out/chalky. The WD Redeemers I have for proper powder days make me grin like a loon in the right conditions and grimace under others.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BTW no one has mentioned the K2 Four - never skied it but wasn't that the recreational carver that Bode (?) won a GS on and completely changed the game?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For me:

- Dynastar Legend Pro original race room version. My first pair of “fat” skis (not counting some Dynastar Bigs which were 84mm underfoot). Similar idea to Explosivs but did have a little bit of sidecut. Have my pair in my ski cupboard and occasionally think about resurrecting them

- DPS Lotus 120 1st (I think) generation. The more recent versions are objectively better and DPS were still figuring out how to stick carbon together. However, these were a glimpse of the future and were great fun in any kind of soft snow.

I have had a pair of Wailer 105s as my light touring skis for 8 or 9 years now. I am not afraid of buying new kit ( Embarassed ) but every time I look for potential replacements I can’t find anything which looks significantly better. Light, torsionally stiff, not too much sidecut, long enough (188cm), nice flex for most snow conditions, don’t fall apart. Nothing particularly revolutionary but hard to replace! Wish they’d build the same ski but with their more up to date construction
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I recently threw my old Rossi B2s in a skip Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Scarpa, B2s introduced a lot of people to all mountain skis, but they were always cr@p Twisted Evil
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My Mrs is still on a pair of 1080's; I told her they were still current.

I think High Society Freerides changed the game for me.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In the 80s I loved my black Authier 215 GS skis stable at ANY speed.

Then I destroyed one knee [not skiing ]

Still like to hoon about but need a lightweight ski now. Atomic Beta Carv 10 20 at 200 cm fits the bill these days.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@TQA, I still have a pair of race dept 207 Authier GS skis, really stable at speed with a Deflex plate. Still have the matching 205 SL skis too but they don't have enough edge to use.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm almost afraid to ask at this point. What does ASBO stand for? Embarassed

admin wrote:
It's easy to just look at what I'm riding now and go "these are my favourites" or I'd just be riding something else. So in that respect: Kneissl Whitestar SL makes the pistes as exciting as they've ever been for me and the Whitedot Ranger 108 CL gets me all over the mountain and floating nicely when the conditions permit. That's where it should probably end but... I've just fallen in with the (bad?) influence of the Whitedot ASBO 94 and it feels like it fills a hole between the other two skis that I hadn't known was there. n+1 in effect I suppose Confused

In terms of big picture influence though - being put on a pair of 1080's by a hire shop opened my eyes to how different a pair of skis could be and resulted in me discovering the Pocket Rocket which utterly transformed my skiing experience.
Given what happened to ski design generally since, it's hard to think of a more influential ski although I can see there's a good argument for the original Xscream.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jedster wrote:
BTW no one has mentioned the K2 Four - never skied it but wasn't that the recreational carver that Bode (?) won a GS on and completely changed the game?
Great skis! I had a pair of the Seth Morrison’s (a couple of models after the 4’s) with the light when you bent them #hightech
ski holidays
offpisteskiing wrote:
admin wrote:
I can see there's a good argument for the original Xscream.

DWhat I find quite amusing now is when you spot a pair of X-Screams in a lift line - how skinny they look for what was at the time a 'revolution' in all-mountain skis...

In those days many all-mountain skis had sub 70mm waists and mid-fats were mid 70 mm's. Very Happy
ski holidays
@DB, changed days! The X-Screams were 'fat' at the time relative to 99% of other skis...
I can still vividly remember the looks I used to get when taking Pocket Rockets (with their 'massive' 90mm waist) up to huts in the early 00s - had bought a pair the first year they came out (01 I think) and mounted with Fritschis for an exped to AK. I take great pleasure now in reminding a guide friend of mine that he used to comment on how big and unsuited to ski touring they were - every time I see him now I ask him what he is skiing on... "ah, so that will be wider than those 'unsuitable' skis of mine" etc etc... Happy
latest report
scr wrote:

admin wrote:
It's easy to just look at what I'm riding now and go "these are my favourites" or I'd just be riding something else. So in that respect: Kneissl Whitestar SL makes the pistes as exciting as they've ever been for me and the Whitedot Ranger 108 CL gets me all over the mountain and floating nicely when the conditions permit. That's where it should probably end but... I've just fallen in with the (bad?) influence of the Whitedot ASBO 94 and it feels like it fills a hole between the other two skis that I hadn't known was there. n+1 in effect I suppose Confused

In terms of big picture influence though - being put on a pair of 1080's by a hire shop opened my eyes to how different a pair of skis could be and resulted in me discovering the Pocket Rocket which utterly transformed my skiing experience.
Given what happened to ski design generally since, it's hard to think of a more influential ski although I can see there's a good argument for the original Xscream.

In the UK generally ASBO stands for Anti-Social Behavior Order, a court order on 'bad boys & girls' that aims to temper their excesses.

On snowHeads in particular ASBO is the nick name for the Altum series of skis from Whitedot. The skis were specifically designed to be a lot of fun and it seems that the consensus is that they make you behave a little less politely than you might otherwise**.

Hope that helps Very Happy

**Whitedot Skis Ltd nor any of it's Directors can be held responsible for anything that anybody anywhere does on a pair of Altums, nor for their behavior at anytime whilst still under the influence of said Altums.
latest report
Thanks, that clears it up for me. Blush

midgetbiker wrote:
scr wrote:

admin wrote:

In the UK generally ASBO stands for Anti-Social Behavior Order, a court order on 'bad boys & girls' that aims to temper their excesses.

On snowHeads in particular ASBO is the nick name for the Altum series of skis from Whitedot. The skis were specifically designed to be a lot of fun and it seems that the consensus is that they make you behave a little less politely than you might otherwise**.

Hope that helps Very Happy

**Whitedot Skis Ltd nor any of it's Directors can be held responsible for anything that anybody anywhere does on a pair of Altums, nor for their behavior at anytime whilst still under the influence of said Altums.
snow report
offpisteskiing wrote:
@DB, changed days! The X-Screams were 'fat' at the time relative to 99% of other skis...
I can still vividly remember the looks I used to get when taking Pocket Rockets (with their 'massive' 90mm waist) up to huts in the early 00s - had bought a pair the first year they came out (01 I think) and mounted with Fritschis for an exped to AK. I take great pleasure now in reminding a guide friend of mine that he used to comment on how big and unsuited to ski touring they were - every time I see him now I ask him what he is skiing on... "ah, so that will be wider than those 'unsuitable' skis of mine" etc etc... Happy

Yes I remember skiing powder for the first around the mid 00's on Pocket Rockets. They were seen as cheat skis, almost everyone is "cheating" these days. wink
latest report
Yikes …. back in the day I skied "Dynastar Dynasty Airflow", Gold with the black go-faster spoiler on the front. Lovely, much better than the Omesoft! I did have the Course SL Coupe du Monde (orange side-walls), another great ski.

Then when Salomon brought out the 9000 Equipe S2 Monocoque, the ski was a revelation! Must mention Salomon X-Wing Tornado, multi-purpose all round grippy things.

More recently the Nordica Spitfire Dobermann GS ……. great race ski.

Blizzard Latigo (184) …….. most under-rated ski ever! What a brilliant piste orientated race-techy ski.
ski holidays
That brings back memories - Salomon 9000 Equipe S2 Pr8 - possibly 2.1m - a fantastic ski in the 1980's!

The Volkl Mantra (Mk 3) has been my goto ski for about 10 years (just about to get replaced with a Mk 5) - the torsional rigidity reminded me of an earlier pair of red Fisher RC4 Slalom skis, but they have been fantastic and confidence inspiring in just about every condition encountered.
ski holidays
offpisteskiing wrote:
admin wrote:
I can see there's a good argument for the original Xscream.

DWhat I find quite amusing now is when you spot a pair of X-Screams in a lift line - how skinny they look for what was at the time a 'revolution' in all-mountain skis...
I've still got a pair of Xscreams in the loft, been thinking of taking them to St Anton in January instead of my very heavy Enduros.
ski holidays
I probably haven't skied enough to really comment...but my Armada ARV 106s put the biggest grin on my face even though they're wayy too much ski for me and really aren't meant for hard pistes.

Influential? Whatever crappy rentals I was on the first time I clicked in. They introduced me to a new hobby and subsequently emptied my bank account.
latest report
@offpisteskiing,

I think I bought those pocket rockets off you?

Myself and a couple of friends passed our L4 mountain safety on them
snow report
skimastaaah wrote:
Yikes …. back in the day I skied "Dynastar Dynasty Airflow", Gold with the black go-faster spoiler on the front.

Lusted after those....
snow report
Well, this has certainly made me want to try more!

ive only ever had one pair and I still love them (Scott Lunas).

snowHead
snow conditions
Dynamic VR27s. SL ski in 204cms. Red Salomon 747 bindings. Used them for everything every day all season in Val D'Isere 1982/3. About 50 skis later, nothing has come close.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jedster wrote:

i was thinking this, i loved my k2 fours in all conditions
ski holidays
brandegg wrote:
Dynamic VR27s. SL ski in 204cms. Red Salomon 747 bindings. Used them for everything every day all season in Val D'Isere 1982/3. About 50 skis later, nothing has come close.

Why ? Modern race skis are better in every way than ones from that era.
snow report
The most influential on me was a pair of Movement Pow Pows, my first powder/off piste charger. 92mm waist (wide at the time), 193 long and stiff.

Totally changed the way I skied off piste and the lines i’d ski.

Too much for my poor week legs nowadays.......
ski holidays
Still remember my first time skiing pow in 2002 on 1080s later the Pocket Rocket, they left a big impression! Moved onto the k2 Seth Pistol shortly after, great skis!

My favourite skis ever? Whitedot Altum 114, I believe known here as the ASBOs, cool mix of chargey and fun that do everything I need them to.
ski holidays
Oh +1 for the Movement powpow swallowtails, 92mm wide and stiff as a plank!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy