Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Most influential skis/favourite skis

Poster: A snowHead
Looking at my own ski collection of now and over the years and trying to pick my favourite ski I have narrowed it down to one or two, 1 is the original Rossignol s7 . 2 is the Volkl Mantra samurai sword model. Both these skis enabled me to gradually ski in deeper snow and gave me a whole lot more mountain to ski. My question is which is your favourite ever ski?.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've only owned 4 pairs of skis but my Head Titans are easily my favourites. They've been my piste skis for the last 10 weeks or so and during that time I feel I've really improved. Always easy to handle but stable and confidence inspiring at speed. Starting to think about what might replace them but not really sure yet whether I want to go SL or GS.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My Whitedot CL Directors.
It was love the moment I first clicked in. I am quite a timid off piste skier but they make everything so easy, In my head I am ripping and shredding like a regular Candide Thovex instead of an ageing rickety old gal.
I have them fitted with a touring binding, just love them to bits! If you are looking for a confidence giving, fun, playful ski that also handles just as well on the piste as in the pow, definitely try them.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bent Chetler, the first time I ever skied a proper powder ski but was highly impressed with how they have handled everything thrown at them.

My latest love though is a pair of racers Nordica Doberman SL skis, my god are those things precise on piste. Bloody hard work though, they are definitely not the ski for a relaxed day Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Scarpa, yep I now ski Bentchetlers and also have Nordica Doberman GS skis and just purchased some Nordica SL as I fancied a change, I know what you mean about hard work though my GS skis are just a little different than the Bents
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@meandrew, I have a pair of Elan GS skis too... are you my long lost brother?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The s7 was the first proper powder ski I tried that really blew me away or rather made skiing deep snow easy, still love them now there is a pair on fleabag 195 cms that I'm trying to ignore
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Scarpa, hahaha what and my love of Wales as well we could be.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Scarpa, you are from north Wales are you not?.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well a Kiwi for my first 9 years, then based in North Wales near to Wrexham. Now in Austria as a the skiing is slightly better.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Most inflluential ski? The original teneighty. No more needs be said.

Favourite ski? Whitedot R.108 Carbonlite - everything i want from a 'wideish' touring ski, light, grippy, floaty, a tail you can stab in the snow, and fun to ski!

Oh and for old times sake the Dynastar Course with the red bobble on from the late 80s... great skis.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dynastar Course SL for me!
Gold, red bobble, 195cm.

My first dry slope race ski. Loved then to bits, skied them until the base was so worn the 't' of the edges were exposed. 'Fixed' with epoxy and ice cream tub and skied them some more!

More recently, Line Prophet 90 from about 2007. My first 'fat' twin, absolutely rip on and off piste.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
offpisteskiing wrote:
Most inflluential ski? The original teneighty. No more needs be said.

I was going to say the same and would love a pair of the originals. I recall renting a pair for the day not long after starting skiing, epic fun. I had a couple of pairs the later silver models but I'm not convinced the foam core kept its condition very well. Still have a pair in my office which I've used for Shropshire and Welsh skiing over the years.

My favorite ski is a pair of Volkl Karma's. Now sadly reduced to 'rock ski' status I skied them on the plastic today. Still good fun.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@gravity-slave, I loved them I have a pair in my garage,chicken hearts
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
meandrew wrote:
The s7 was the first proper powder ski I tried that really blew me away or rather made skiing deep snow easy, still love them now there is a pair on fleabag 195 cms that I'm trying to ignore

Sadly if you have upgraded you will find these sooo heavy...these were the pow skis I got when I finally left the single board.
Had a Shane obsessed ski buddy so tried the Spatula and Pontoon and others like the Sanouk, Radict, Ragnarok, Fly Swat and 11's none were as forgiving as the S7 although I still have a pair of Wailer 12rpcs that are almost identical to the S7 with a meter long sweet spot and stabiliser wheel rockers at either end.
Clearly I am not an old skull skier or even remotely accomplished but the `S7s do glow golden in the memory.
ski holidays
My parents threw mine out Crying or Very sad

Still have a pair of black and orange coupe du mondes that I made into a sledge.
ski holidays
Volkl Kuros - wow i’ve been rockered! (Came off stiff, straight Dynastar Legend 100?). And then late convert to DPS. First 112 Hybrid and now 124 Alchemist. Take the rocker experience to a new level - low weight, miles better on piste.
snow report
oh yeah the Kuros....'king monsters! Twisted Evil
snow report
Most influential

Dynastar Course Chickenhearts
Snowboards
Elan SCX
X Scream
1080/Pocket Rocket
Gotama
Mothership
Spatula
DPS Wailer
S7/Soul 7
snow conditions
Salomon X-scream...………...
latest report
Wot, no one arguing for Salomon BBRs? NehNeh NehNeh Laughing Laughing
snow conditions

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 9-12-18 0:38; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Maireadoconnor wrote:
Wot, no one arguing for Salomon BBRs? NehNeh NehNeh Laughing Laughing

Well you could make a case for Icelantic Shamans being the big nose big mountain slalom ski but it never became a big class, versatile though they were.

Possibly because Salomon and hamfisted use of spankered shills like Snoworks destroyed it.
ski holidays
For me I always loved my Head Titans, always been a massive fan of Head, (behave!) However...

For me Kastle FX95HP opened up a world for me.

Having always been on SL skis, and wanting to venture off piste, I bought some preachers, loved them, but just couldn't chill out on then. I then got the R108 Carbons, again great ski, but not turny enough for me.

The Kastles just work for me, do anything ski that's as equally at home on piste, through trees or off piste. Granted at 95mm under foot, itll struggle in the deepest powder, but I'm 68kg so float isn't a problem

Love them
snow report
Ha! I skied on my old samurai Mantras just last week at Lake Louise and they are as versatile a ski as I've been on. Now they are my rockers, love 'em. Fun to know somebody else loves 'em too. Way back when I sort of figured out how to ski while on K2 244 Mids. Wish I could bump like that now.....
snow conditions
Rossignol Bandit XX
A true all-mountain ski.

Salomon Streetracer
My first slalom ski and the ski I brought to Hokkaido. Opened my eyes to immersive deep powder skiing.

Coreupt The Caspers
My first twin-tip ski
Makes everything easier and smoother and deeper, and the centre mounting is far more natural when walking uphill.
ski holidays
Mk1 Dynastar Course SL 203 - learned to carve on them.

Rossignol 7S - an amazing ski, 7Gs not shabby either

Rossignol Grand Courbe 210 Junior DH skis. Truly lovely, although somewhat of a one trick pony.

Nordica Dobermann FIS SL... ultimate powder and one ski quiver

Did like my 2010 Mantras. Was fondling a pair of M5s yesterday.

Pretty happy on my Bonafides now...
snow report
@under a new name, must try my Doberman SL in the powder should be fun bit different from my Bentchetlers
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dave of the Marmottes, Icelantic Shamans not thought about them for along time, I always thought the Preacher was a pretty similar design.
snow conditions
It's easy to just look at what I'm riding now and go "these are my favourites" or I'd just be riding something else. So in that respect: Kneissl Whitestar SL makes the pistes as exciting as they've ever been for me and the Whitedot Ranger 108 CL gets me all over the mountain and floating nicely when the conditions permit. That's where it should probably end but... I've just fallen in with the (bad?) influence of the Whitedot ASBO 94 and it feels like it fills a hole between the other two skis that I hadn't known was there. n+1 in effect I suppose Confused

In terms of big picture influence though - being put on a pair of 1080's by a hire shop opened my eyes to how different a pair of skis could be and resulted in me discovering the Pocket Rocket which utterly transformed my skiing experience.
Given what happened to ski design generally since, it's hard to think of a more influential ski although I can see there's a good argument for the original Xscream.
snow report
under a new name wrote:

Rossignol Grand Courbe 210 Junior DH skis. Truly lovely, although somewhat of a one trick pony.

Plake seemed to do alright in all sorts of terrain on Super G/DH boards (but then he was/is Plake...). Happy

Acutally maybe I will add the first Mantras after they stepped up from 94 to 98 underfoot to my list - a beast of a ski in all conditions, but super-fun and easy too (contradiction in terms but there you go...)..
snow report
+1 for Shamans and 1080. AK showed small companies could make outstanding skis. Volkl P9 sl - no silly red bobble
snow conditions
admin wrote:
I can see there's a good argument for the original Xscream.

DWhat I find quite amusing now is when you spot a pair of X-Screams in a lift line - how skinny they look for what was at the time a 'revolution' in all-mountain skis...
ski holidays
@BertieG, at risk of dropping into nostalgia corner, but thinking about it, the Course (bobble and all), P9, and also the Rossi 4S were all pretty tasty from that late 80s era. Skied on all of them at one point or another in my gate-bashing days...
ski holidays
@offpisteskiing, not the 4S. Not nice at all. Dull, uninspiring.
latest report
admin wrote:
That's where it should probably end but... I've just fallen in with the (bad?) influence of the Whitedot ASBO 94 and it feels like it fills a hole between the other two skis that I hadn't known was there. n+1 in effect I suppose Confused

Yay the ASBOs - turning older skiers into delinquents since 2018 Laughing
snow conditions
+1 for Shamans and 1080. AK showed small companies could make outstanding skis. Volkl P9 sl - no silly red bobble
ski holidays
Having reread the question and some of the answers and since i don't really know about piste skis second place should definatly go to the teneighty and first place to the biggest influence on that ski and to ski design from there on....the snowboard
snow conditions
For Me Sad i.e. Skis I have/do own)

K2 Parabolics c 1996 (first "carver")
Scott Missions c 2002 (first "fattie" at 94)
DPS Wailer 99 c2010 (first Rocker)
Volkl BMT 109 c2014 (first Reverse camber)

My Favourite... Prob DPS 99 Wailer - but hoping it will be my new 112 Wailer Alchemist currently located in Nottinghamshire ....
snow report
P9sl
Dynastar Vertical (I think)
Volkl Mantra
POCKET ROCKET wow ... Sold on eBay for over £100 at over 10 years old ... Still regretting it Sad
Blizzard Cochise
Black crows atris
Thinking about a softer option - Soul 7 or Kore - for this year.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy