Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What touring binding for kolkie?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Kolkie (my fiancée) has progressed in three seasons from near-beginner to confident piste skier and starting out her offpiste adventures.

This year she will try her first mild tour, on her new Whitedots R.98 CL, so I'm looking at getting her touring bindings.

She has boots with tech fittings, so I'm 99% certain she should get one of the new(ish) crop of freeride tech bindings, instead of frame bindings.

She usually skis on a low DIN so she would probably prefer DIN 5 instead of DIN 6 (she's already had two knee issues).

My current rundown:
- "pure", bare-bones tech bindings: no - less safe, less elastic, not needed for her
- Dynafit ST Rotation: light, elastic, safe, easy to use - but expensive
- Marker Kingpin: less elastic, bit heavier, not cheap
- Fritschi Tecton: lighter than Marker Kingpin and same concept, but: elasticity? durable?? also not cheap
- Beast 14: safe, elastic, bit heavier, minimum DIN 5 - cheap!, need boot modification
- Salomon Shift: new kid on the block, heaviest of this bunch, probably skies closest to an alpine binding, minimum DIN 6, expensive, durability??

I'm on Beast 14s for two pairs of skis (Countdown 114L and new Head Kore 93s)- best all-round compromise for me at less than half the price of the others. But should I get her something else?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shifts. Safest on downhill. Tech for the uphill. The extra weight will mean her legs will look fabulous dancing on tables during après wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@horizon, hello there!
I had basically the same shortlist for myself and spyderjon advised me to get the Fritschi Tectons. They literally arrived yesterday tho so I can’t yet tell you what they ski like!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@horizon, for someone who's already had two knee ops I'd recommend lateral release from the heel (reduced load on ACL/MCL) versus lateral release at the toe so a Dynafit but get the Radical 2 ST 105mm not the Rotation. The Rad 2 ST (4-10 din) is essentially the same binding but less money as all the Rotation model has is a ball detent in the toe so you can feel when the toe in in line with the heel. It's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist if you know how to use the binding properly (which you do) but for which Dynafit charge a lot more money.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@spyderjon, I love reading your posts, even though I don't understand the technicalities, they are positively professorial. So thank you from the person whose conversations with you are limited to:
Me:What skis shall I get?
You:Scott Lunas.
Me:Thanks, I'll have a pair of those then.
Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Hurtle, Funny, but it's true Laughing

Didn't realise the Shift had a 6 DIN minimum Shocked I'll have to get on the pies before I consider a pair of those.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Scarlet, AFAIK there's a lower din Shift coming next season.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@spyderjon, Interesting. That also confirms that my decision not to buy them yet was sensible rather than tight Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@spyderjon, thanks! Could you PM me a price on those Radical 2.0s?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy