Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot dryers

Poster: A snowHead
Scarlet wrote:
@AG, they were my Christmas pressie last year, so I think I can answer your questions:

No, air blowing, they just warm up.
I leave them in over night, boots warm and dry in the morning (also means I can do gloves in the evening first).
Leave liners in. Or you could take them out. I don’t bother, but my bf often has moisture between liner and shells with his.

Thanks Scarlet, good info; I suspect I'd still have moisture between liner and shell too, despite using these things (or anything else), all night, as I do seem to get a lot of moisture in my boots... (I do 'em up properly of course!). Hmm, looks like I may always have to be taking the liners out every night in order to get 'em properly dry, which is what I do now but what I want to avoid - not a really big deal I suppose, but it's still a pain. Does your bf use these things? If so, does he leave the liners in or take 'em out? Thanks again, AG.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@AG, if we are away for a week, he leaves the liners in – the quantity of trapped moisture is very small and won’t really have much effect. At home, the boots are sitting unused for longer between outings, so the liners get removed and dried properly.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Scarlet wrote:
@AG, if we are away for a week, he leaves the liners in – the quantity of trapped moisture is very small and won’t really have much effect. At home, the boots are sitting unused for longer between outings, so the liners get removed and dried properly.

When on a ski trip though, whilst leaving the liners in, I take it that he is using these warmer devices, yes?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@AG, yes. Sorry if that wasn’t clear.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scarlet wrote:
@AG, yes. Sorry if that wasn’t clear.

Thanks for your input Scarlet, much appreciated - have a good season! Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@AG, Interesting , we've been using them two season I think it is, they go in the boots overnight and hang from the boot rack in a warmish room during the day, maybe that is keeping them active, we do pop them on the radiator at the start of the week
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
some practical ideas Toofy Grin https://tinyurl.com/y9qyvagu
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
radar wrote:
some practical ideas Toofy Grin https://tinyurl.com/y9qyvagu

Ah, very interesting, thanks Radar!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I use the warmer sticks alluded to above. You can hold them in your hands and it won't hurt your hands, so they've never deformed my boots. They come under various brands names here and all look the same. It's been harder to find them over the years, so last time I ordered two pair from Amazon. I've been using these things for about 35 years.

I generally put them in the moment I come home, leave them overnight, then replug them in the car, stuffed with mittens at that point (not earlier, you are using the flowing air provided by the warmth of the stick to cause air circulation) as I walk to the lodge. Still nice and toasty as I put them on. They will be on those sticks almost 23 hours a day, seven days a week, for 4 months straight. At $30, they are cheap, portable, silent.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have just been taking out the liners and putting them in a warm room overnight

But not too close to the wood burner as a friend of mine did to find the heat had melted a hole in them. They still skied fine according to him.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For DIY a low power hair dryer and some ducting would do the job very nicely.

I use these, which are basically a fancy version of the hairdryer (and a bit quieter too):
https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Therm-ic_Dryer_Boot_Glove_Dryer_One_Size_BlackRed-(194317)

Because they have a fan they're a bit quicker to dry everything than the ones that just get warm, which means I can dry the whole families' boots in an evening rather than just one pair. I use them a lot through the year both for my own boots after skiing at Hemel and also trainers etc. after they've got wet in the rain which saves having to put muddy shoes on a radiator. So they've turned out to be a very useful thing to have around the house.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kieranm wrote:
For DIY a low power hair dryer and some ducting would do the job very nicely.

I use these, which are basically a fancy version of the hairdryer (and a bit quieter too):
https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Therm-ic_Dryer_Boot_Glove_Dryer_One_Size_BlackRed-(194317)

Because they have a fan they're a bit quicker to dry everything than the ones that just get warm, which means I can dry the whole families' boots in an evening rather than just one pair. I use them a lot through the year both for my own boots after skiing at Hemel and also trainers etc. after they've got wet in the rain which saves having to put muddy shoes on a radiator. So they've turned out to be a very useful thing to have around the house.

Hi Kieranm, sorry, that link doesn't seem to work... Is it something like this? https://www.countryside.co.uk/therm-ic/dryer-0?gclid=Cj0KCQiAurjgBRCqARIsAD09sg8MEtbUeTRj9Q04WZp72wn7NiA3dOb2mSqj5-0g1LbRgpVKejCT00waArWvEALw_wcB
If so, that's the sort of thing I'm want to avoid actually! Thanks, AG.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
MountainIdiot wrote:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/boot-glove-dryer-id_8375022.html

I use this - only a tenner, dries them out fine overnight at low temp, compact and has a Euro plug so no need for an adapter, excellent from decathlon once again!

We have these, agree with your review snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@AG, yes, that's the one. Snowheads isn't highlighting the whole link - you need to include the -(194317). I'm not sure why you want to avoid them. The air they blow is certainly not hot enough to cause any problems with the liners, and they definitely completely dry my boots in a few hours without disassembling the liners from the shell.

If not those, then I'd try the decathlon ones that some of the others have recommended as for £10 you're not really going to lose much if they aren't suitable.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kittya wrote:
MountainIdiot wrote:

I use this - only a tenner, dries them out fine overnight at low temp, compact and has a Euro plug so no need for an adapter, excellent from decathlon once again!

Yes we have had something similar for years, work fine overnight, very gentle heat from low wattage, about 10W per boot I think so you can shove a few pairs of them into a multi plug adapter, french "xmas tree style" Laughing
snow report
kittya wrote:
MountainIdiot wrote:

Yes we have had something similar for years, work fine overnight, very gentle heat from low wattage, about 10W per boot I think so you can shove a few pairs of them into a multi plug adapter, french "xmas tree style" Laughing
snow report
Having spent a small fortune on fully custom Dale Boots with Intuition liners, I was told never to use any kind of heat in them so use these sat on top of each boot to blow room-temperature air through them.

Coolerguys Dual 80mm USB Fan Set with Grills https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002NVC1DS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_taa_06NdCbV8EJZZG?tag=amz07b-21

They're almost silent and run off a standard usb charger plug or even a powerbank. I've fitted a set of grilles to the otherside so that the fans are fully enclosed.
ski holidays
WASHOUT wrote:
Is the sidas boot warmers with UV a gimmick?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sidas-Drywarmer-Warming-Drying-Appliance/dp/B006L16PTM?tag=amz07b-21

These ones? Not sure about the UV element - but I've always found they work really well as a boot dryer, and my boots never smell (so maybe the UV bit does work?!)
snow report
kieranm wrote:
@AG, yes, that's the one. Snowheads isn't highlighting the whole link - you need to include the -(194317). I'm not sure why you want to avoid them. The air they blow is certainly not hot enough to cause any problems with the liners, and they definitely completely dry my boots in a few hours without disassembling the liners from the shell.

If not those, then I'd try the decathlon ones that some of the others have recommended as for £10 you're not really going to lose much if they aren't suitable.

Thanks kieranm. The liners in my boots are pretty sensitive apparently but I do realise that the air would have to be very warm indeed to deformity... Perhaps I will try the fancy hair dryer type things! Have a good season!
snow report
Mark B wrote:
Having spent a small fortune on fully custom Dale Boots with Intuition liners, I was told never to use any kind of heat in them so use these sat on top of each boot to blow room-temperature air through them.

Coolerguys Dual 80mm USB Fan Set with Grills https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002NVC1DS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_taa_06NdCbV8EJZZG?tag=amz07b-21

They're almost silent and run off a standard usb charger plug or even a powerbank. I've fitted a set of grilles to the otherside so that the fans are fully enclosed.

Thanks Mark B, the very same story here, £££'s Dale Boots... How do you find 'em btw? I've had mine six years and have found them a mixed blessing, there's a lot of good about them and some great features, but for me there's been quite a few problems too... More or less have them sorted out now though. As for the computer fans you suggest - sounds like a brilliant idea/suggestion! However, can you advise me a little further please, whilst I'm reasonably technical with ski equipment and such, when it comes to anything electrical, especially computer related(!), I'm really rubbish... So this may sound dumb: not quite sure one powers these little fans - I realise I'm not getting something here! When travelling I only take a phone, no lap top for instance, so into what one plug the USB cable powering these fans? I think you mean my phone charger would do it, right? Many thanks for your help! AG.
snow conditions
@AG, my Dale Boots have been a revelation for me. I have multiple problems with my feet and a complete lack of ankle flexibility. I've had mine for about 3 years and can now ski a full week of long days in comfort and control.

The fans are usb powered and will plug into any usb phone charger. The additional grilles I fitted are these (you'll need 2).....

Evercool 80mm 8cm metal fan finger grill guard https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006KUE1E0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_HEneCbQH1JZR9?tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
Quote:

Very useful thread - I never knew these sort of things existed, just bought a set of these as a result!
snow report
Mark B wrote:
@AG, my Dale Boots have been a revelation for me. I have multiple problems with my feet and a complete lack of ankle flexibility. I've had mine for about 3 years and can now ski a full week of long days in comfort and control.

The fans are usb powered and will plug into any usb phone charger. The additional grilles I fitted are these (you'll need 2).....

Evercool 80mm 8cm metal fan finger grill guard https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006KUE1E0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_HEneCbQH1JZR9?tag=amz07b-21

Thanks very much for your advice Mark B, very much appreciated. Am definitely going down this road. Glad your Dale Boots work so well for you - oh God did I have trouble with mine..! But as previously said, there is a lot of good about them (the variable flex of course, the REAL built-in camber, virgin plastic in the construction, removable/replaceable toe & pieces which are somehow rock-solid, etc), and I think I've finally got mine sorted out... I think that, basically, they were poorly fitted in the first place, ended up using this sort of thing:
https://www.tognar.com/the-eliminator-custom-tongue-shims/ & https://www.tognar.com/ankle-wrap-pads-pair/
Tognar, well worth remembering btw, great little supplier of all sorts of great stuff... Very small family run outfit, I met up with them briefly when they were over here this past summer, super people who know their onions. Thanks again, have a great season! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
would cat litter in a sock work well?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy