Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

carving skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
i'm looking for a good pair of carving skis, i can do single black diamonds, haven't tried double blacks but i hope to next season

also if you can give me any info on carving i'd appreciate it
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
welcome to snowHead

get to resort, explain to the shop what kind of thing you are looking for and TRY as many as you can, a bit like test driving cars, many of the skis you guys have are differnt names and graphics to what we have in Europe, in saying that there are no really bad skis out there, infact most are really good, it is a case of finding what works for you
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
All skis are designed to carve, even the old fashioned long ones that I still use.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Volkl 5 stars are a decent piste/carving ski.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Latchigo wrote:
Volkl 5 stars are a decent piste/carving ski.

yeah i was actually looking at that as my next pair, thanks for the reply guys
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
falanx, Nevertheless, do try as many pairs as you can - it's a very personal thing, ski choice. Also it would be a good idea to have a lesson if you're not familiar with carving skis to learn how to use them. No doubt the local ski school can help you. I find a big demand for these lessons!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
falanx, for US east coast, you'll probably want a narrower carver. The 5*, 6*, or Allstar from Volkl, the Fischer RX8, even the Atomic Metron:11 or M:B5 would all be excellent skis for you (even tho the Metrons are a bit wider). If you like damper skis, you might try one of the K2 Apache series.

While, as kevin mcclean notes, all skis will carve, not all skis will carve the same radius turns. Nor will all skis enable you to ski arc-to-arc turns on appropriate terrain. You may want to look over in the Bend Ze Knees forum for more on technique for carving.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
On top of the skis mentioned, people seem to like the new Rossi Z9 oversize. Same principle as the Metron B5 (fairly large surface area, so decent for off-piste, but very aggressive sidecut, so good for carving too).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Or you could consider a detuned slalom type ski - which some of the suggestions must be getting close to anyway.
I haven't skied the east coast but I am aware of what they call boilerplate and if this condition is typical I would go for a ski that
has great edge hold on ice. The Volkl's are renowned for this, but maybe consider the Rossi 9s, Elan SFX or skis of that ilk.
I would expect them to outperform the carvers on hardpack.

I wouldn't expect the Apache Recon to be so great here but the Crossfire and more dedicated K2 piste skis might ..

The Stormrider would be great here as well...opps, there I go again..
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Zags. That's a ski that carves itself. Go for Gold if you can afford it. Wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
parlor, E£specially La Rouge Very Happy , but they might not be available out there - Fischer Slalom skis would be good on the hard stuff - WC or RC4 Race ...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ponder, the Z9 is a very interesting ski. It will respond to a broad range of skier abilities and styles. It is less demanding than the Metron:B5, and yet is very gentle on the skier while delivering a high level of performance. I think it's still a bit below the B5, but I have seen exceptional skiers on them--including a long-term PSIA-RM Examiner as well as one of the members of the PSIA Demo Team (and have skied them myself)--and they perform very well.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy