Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Free button/chair lifts in Europe?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Howdy all,

Looking at planning a trip that might involve some folk just having a stab at skiing when passing through.. I've got kit they can borrow etc. and they're all on a bit of a budget, so thinking of places they can just have a go on something gentle.

I've kind of assisted someone from a complete beginner using the little free button lift at the end of the Hannenkham in Kitz for an afternoon, and myself did my first turns on real snow in Val d'Isere using the Village chair for free..

I've spent quite a bit of time skiing in Austria and noticed a few lifts along the way, but failed to take notes on free lifts (usually because I had a pass), I recall the Kitz area had a few options, but the accommodation is a bit steep around there. If anyone knows if the Kaserwald buttons are free at Axamer Lizum, that would be great? Nice easy access with cheap gaffs just down the road, and some freeride sillies whilst my mates find their legs NehNeh

I'm not tied to Austria though, but seem to prefer the approach there, seems less driven to empty you wallet if you kn what I mean rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
At least five decent freebie beginner lifts in Tignes....despite the wallet-emptying possibilities rolling eyes

- Draglift on nursery slope at Les Brevieres. A lovely spot for beginners - near to the charming village/cafes etc.
- Draglift (near bottom of Paquis Chair) plus slow chairlift (opposite Toviere gondola) at Le Lac. Separate from one another but can easily be combined for a bit of variation. A lot higher up than Les Brev so snow more reliable. Near to resort centre cafes, bars etc.
- Fast quad chair ('Bollin') at Val Claret. Serves a gentle green run and a steeper blue. Good option with nice mountain views, café at the top and bar at the bottom wink.
- Draglift next to Tufs Chair at Val Claret. Can be combined with Bollin runs/lift for a bit of variation. Next to cafes and bars.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If your trip is more than a weekend don't forget to find decent non skiing things to do or it could all be a disaster if they don't take to it. I'm not sure I could recommend any of the French resorts I have been to, but Are in Sweden had a lot of things to do and my non-skiing wife enjoyed it immensely. Can not be sure but there may have been a small free lift for beginners. Thinking back to all my resorts I think there is usually a free lift.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the pointers guys, I'll probably avoid France if im honest just due to the prices.. never noticed tignes had so many free lifts though.. good on em! I remember being surprised that Val d'Isere had 2 free chairlifts, one of them taking you half way (or it seemed) to Solaise..

Most of the guys coming out are climbers just keen to have a go for a bit and then they'll probably head back on the plane/train whilst I'll stay on for a bit.. kind of why I'm warming to Axamer (maybe Schlick 2000 if they found their legs a bit too) as I'd be close to Innsbruck where there's a good indoor climbing wall.. there's quite a good one in the zillertal too, but can't remember if Fugen/Gerlos/Alpbach had free lifts?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What about ice climbing as a side option? Looks cold and terrifying to me but I am no climber.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Good call!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If they are climbers then they are surely bound to enjoy skiing!!! They'll come for a day and stay for the week - hooked forever!!!!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy