Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When Did You First Wear A Ski Helmet?

Poster: A snowHead
An earlier post of a helmet wearing Snowhead (Mrs Telford Mike) in 2012 got me thinking.

I know the majority now wear a helmet for skiing (& I'm definitely not starting THAT debate again...). Despite 30 odd years of skiing we are relatively new to the concept and now wouldn't be without.

And I know the Americans were traditionally years ahead of us Europeans in donning protective headwear. And that was followed by the Austrians in Europe.

But I'm interested to know how far back some of you go with helmet wearing? I assume (for the early folk) there must have been a time when you were the only person in a lift queue wearing a helmet- and got some odd looks? Puzzled

For the record, it was the end of 2015 for us.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Was about 2014 for me, couldn’t demand kids wear one & not wear one myself
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Same as @Jonny996, though it was 2010. My daughter started skiing at 4 and had to wear a helmet so we started wearing them as felt we couldnt ask her to wear one if we weren’t.

Years later we were in Bansko on a nursery slope with my two girls, there was a child kicking off with their Mum about not wanting to wear the helmet and taking it off. Shouting match was ensuing and couldn’t help noting Mum wasn’t wearing one... the inevitable “you aren’t wearing one, why should I” was heard.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I started wearing a helmet after Michael Schumacher's accident, and seeing the photo of where it occurred.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Either 2008 or 2009, and I was often the only one in a 100 person cabin wearing one. Now it’s pretty much the opposite.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
2008-2009 ish. We both had them just before hubby's accident, but didn't always wear them. Now never without it. I was just thinking it was time I needed a new one.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
2005, same time as insisting that son wore one. On my third helmet now. Most damage to old ones from being bashed getting on chairlifts.

Didn’t like wearing headgear of any kind before then. Wouldn’t ski without one now.

Bizarrely, I wore a helmet for cycling at least a decade before that. Puzzled
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
By winter 2010. Combination of Natasha Richardson accident in March 2009 and the kids starting to learn. Couldn't be a hypocrite, if we were making them wear them, we had to do the same. I do miss my glamorous headband and sunglasses look though.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Only wear one when regulations dictate at the Snowfactor Glasgow.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
2012, the first time I skied. The only time I’ve not worn one was during my first trip to Hemel. In retrospect that’s one of the times you’re more likely to want a helmet.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@nelly0168, always amazes me in this day of the nanny state that Hillend does not demand it, its only compulsory for under 16's
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Probably around 2011. Over half of people were wearing them at that point and it solved the problem of long hair and goggle strap entanglement.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
2003/4 wouldn’t ever not wear one since, much improved safety and all round vision in latest generation goggles better than skiing in sunnies, no watery eyes.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I guess around 2009 - the first day that I went properly off piste with very little in the way of technical experience. Came wayyy too close to that lift pole that somebody carelessly stuck there Laughing . My mate and I went straight to the shop that afternoon.

(Little did I know that there would be so much depth, detail and analysis to be gleaned from this forum concerning whether that helmet would defend against said lift pole...)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
2000 - second trip. One of our party the year before took a bad hit with another guy and ended up with a head injury. The doc in the trauma centre said in no uncertain terms that he wouldn't be treating him at all if he had been wearing. We all bought day 1 of next trip and never ridden without since.
ski holidays
About 2014, I tolerated it for about 1hr, the only time it goes back on is for skiing the bumps at Castleford (compulsory) but often take it off while I go up the lift.
latest report
An early lead for Richard_Sideways,

2000 - wow!
snow report
latest report
Jonny996 wrote:
@nelly0168, always amazes me in this day of the nanny state that Hillend does not demand it, its only compulsory for under 16's

Yep, and IMHO you have much more chance of getting a sore head at Hillend than at Braehead - which is a classic example of Liability Insurance led compulsion, rather than anything like risk assessment !!
snow report
Jan 1999 - on a trip to Whistler, where lots of people were already wearing helmets. We found ourselves riding through trees, which was a new experience after the motorway-like pistes of the 3V where I'd learnt to snowboard. I got spooked by the thought of going headlong into a tree and have worn a helmet since.
snow conditions
I only started wearing a helmet when I returned to skiing after a 27 year break. It seemed to be the sensible thing to do given my advanced age and not particularly high skiing ability. It also kept Mrs Rabbie from nagging me to wear one. I must admit that I don’t find it irksome to wear one.
snow report
Probably only the last 2 years. My husband instisted on it. Last took the kids maybe 6 or 7 years ago. They would wear one and I wouldn’t. Shocked now I do. Can’t say I like them but I’m also rubbish at wearing one on a bike and only got one this summer. I am 49 lol
snow conditions
1996/7. I kept pinging myself in the head with button lift handles so my parents decided it was for the best Laughing
snow conditions
Started skiing in 1978, started wearing a helmet last winter early 2018. Better late than never. Embarassed

Head gets very hot in them which I dont like. Suppose you can remove it for lifts between runs of course.
snow report
I am I the only one who has never worn a Helmet ?!?

Mind - when it is cold (i.e. January) is wear a leather flying type helmet - does that count ?
latest report
last season, resistance was futile
ski holidays
@Klammertime,

That was the reason I put off for so long- I often feel like spontaneously combusting, particularly on moguls.

However, I have been amazed that I've not really suffered since wearing my helmet. Very surprised but very pleased! Very Happy
latest report
Roughly 1997-98, a mate who I boarded with all the time in Verbier insisted I got one and all the avalanche gear. The helmet saved my head from a heavy blow on numerous occasions and fortunately I've never needed the avalanche gear.
Since I changed to skiing in 2013, I've never worn a helmet, so I've gone from being the rare one with a helmet to the rare one without.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
2016 Whistler, cos no one else was rocking the bobble hat and Oakleys look! Now it just seems second nature.
snow report
@albob, neither have I. That's not to say I may not in the future - I got as far as looking at them in the shops last season.
ski holidays
I think it was 2016, but could have been 2008. (Had an 8 year skiing break). It was definitely no earlier than 2008!
snow conditions
Went skiing at Hillend in 2016 (after a 30 year gap from skiing); you'd be mad to ski on that stuff without one & now wear one as a matter of course. I might reconsider my position if I'm somewhere warm & easy.
snow report
Alastair wrote:
@albob, neither have I. That's not to say I may not in the future - I got as far as looking at them in the shops last season.

I might check out the Aldi/Lidl ones....

It was very noticeable in Selva (January 17), that the majority of people are now wearing helmets. Suspect it may be different in March
ski holidays
@albob, @Alastair, and me ...never worn one! Smile
snow report
99. But I was snowboarding at the time and not willing to risk another heelside slam.
snow conditions
2000 for me, was working a month in Banff and felt like the odd one out so bought one to fit in...........
snow report
Not worn one yet. My kids wear them and have never asked why mum and dad don't. I've no doubt it'll be a generational thing. Kids growing up today will know no different.
snow conditions
Last year. Not as restrictive as I was expecting (not at all really). Wouldn't be bothered if I forgot it though Very Happy
ski holidays
About five years, though I occasionally forget, not a massive believer to be honest.
snow report
Dec 2016 , Courchevel with my son. Rock hard icy pistes so relented and bought one.

Fell over the next day (while attempting to ski backwards) - cracked my head quite hard on the slope...lucky I had it on.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy