Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What do you do with old ski boots?

Poster: A snowHead
Ok so I've got some nice new ones, but just putting the old liners-disintegrated ones in the bin seems a bit environmentally unfriendly.

Any suggestions?

Polite ones preferred, but don't mind surreal!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pots for plants?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Use them as planters for your patio.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I thought everyone put them in the attic. Puzzled
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wear The Fox Hat, great minds and all that!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mine are somewhere in my parent's house. In the original box.
The "old" ones (keep in mind that the "current" ones are 12 y.o.) aren't too overused but are Salomon Sx 92 racing rear entry boots...
I'm thinking of taking them out of the "o" status and to reuse them the next season , since could be in better shape that the current Tecnica TNTs...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
One spring, in haste, I put a well-worn pair of Dale boots on a shelf in our back-yard shed without first boxing them up. At the start of the next ski season, when I went to use them, it appeared that two squirrel families had taken up residence and raised their young in them. Needless to say, the condition that the boots were in forced my decision to finally purchase a new pair.

With respect to the original question, if you don't like the previous "planters for flowers" suggestion, offering them in the squirrel community as "affordable housing" would undoubtedly be seen as a generous and noble gesture.

Very Happy

Tom / PM

PS - In the near-by state of West Virginia, only the most massive of truck tires are considered suitable as planters. Attempting to use ski boots for that purpose would clearly mark you as some sort of citified wuss.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Glad to hear that you managed to get some new ones at last! Plant the old ones upside down in a large gro-bag, water frequently, keep out of draughts ...... Confused
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And you'll grow a whole new skier! Shocked
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Physicsman, I live in a village and already have severe trouble with the wildlife taking liberties.

I also have the cleverest squirrels on the planet who have no difficulty dismantling bird feeders, padlocks etc. If i gave them to the squirrels I'd next see them passing me on the Hahnekamm having reconditioned them and taken up skiing!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
> ...I'd next see them passing me on the Hahnekamm having reconditioned them and taken up skiing! ...

If only I could draw...What a great cartoon that would make.

Tom / PM
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
on the subject of squirrels: http://cuagain.manilasites.com/stories/storyReader7

(sorry thread hijack -but got this on email today and thought it was amusing)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mountain mad, only problem is that the writer describes himself both as a large man and as a Valkyrie Puzzled Confused
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
oops no got it wrong - the Valkyrie is the motorbike Embarassed Embarassed
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mountain mad, I don't care if it's true or not. It made me laugh!
latest report
Mine are up in the loft, maybe re-cycled by sister next season, who may be coming skiing with us. Or-I may go back to using them if I can't get my new ones to be more comfortable.
latest report
Chris Bish, if your boots are anything like mine, fill them with peanuts, place them in the garden and you'll never have another squirrel problem again.
snow report
mountain mad, the story calls for a ROFLMAO.
My colleagues are looking over at me and shaking their heads thinking I'm definitely gone insane.
snow report
skanky, Brilliant idea. It's the moles I hate most though. I really quite like the squirrels to be honest.

The peanut idea would wipe out the bird life.......
ski holidays
Chris Bish, fill 'em with cement and suspend them above a mole hill. Place a motion detector aiming at said hill, wired to an actuator that releases the suspension cable.
snow report
Alternatively, leave them sticking out from underneath your neighbour's/colleague's car (you might find ketchup a helpful addition here!) Twisted Evil and watch their reaction from behind a tree! Twisted Evil
snow report
Not if the neighbour/colleague has a dickie ticker!
snow report
Has anybody come up with any additional possible solutions to this problem in the last ten years? Smile

(I have a pair that are a bit worn but as far as I know basically sound and just don't fit me very well)
snow report
Mine all went to the guy who bought some of our old ski stuff (sold on ebay) he was sending kit out to Bulgaria for a rental shop and when he saw I was throwing them out, took them too!
ski holidays
finestgreen wrote:
Has anybody come up with any additional possible solutions to this problem in the last ten years? Smile

Laughing Laughing Laughing brilliant... Laughing Laughing
latest report
I've left a pair fairly prominently beside the "poubelle" containers at my apartment - they got taken. I am going to do the same with a pair of snowchains which don't fit my present car, when I go back in March.
latest report
finestgreen, ebay all the way. Until an item has not sold on ebay for 1p it cannot be thrown away. Or something. I think this is the policy of various members of my family.

Wasn't someone putting together ski gear for the school in Pakistan recently?

Failing all of this, the charity shop might well find a new home for them and put it puts a couple of quid in their pot.
snow report
I flog mine on Fleabay, they sell quite well as they're always top quality, plus I keep the stock liners unused as I put my Zip-Fits in.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, ten years on and I have the same problem again. I must be a bit of a skinflint to only buy new boots every ten years!

They still fit the skis I had at the time, too, which I sometimes dig out for dry slope, so I should keep them for that, I suppose.

The 2004 pair were given to a guy who was off to Bulgaria for his first ski holiday. I told him they would be better than anything he could hire there, which was probably true at the time.

snowHead
latest report
Mine are on eBay at the moment. Admittedly, there's plenty of skiing left in them - it's just I replaced them with a stiffer pair.
ski holidays
Freecycle.
pam w, why not advertise your chains on here?
ski holidays
As others have said, they make ideal pots for plants. A few year ago I put some brackets above my garage, bolted some old (step daughters) skis on to them and attached a pair of my old boots and planted some trailing lahbelia (sp). I thought they looked very good, unfortunately no one else did.
snow report
Matteo wrote:
Mine are somewhere in my parent's house. In the original box.
The "old" ones (keep in mind that the "current" ones are 12 y.o.) aren't too overused but are Salomon Sx 92 racing rear entry boots...
I'm thinking of taking them out of the "o" status and to reuse them the next season , since could be in better shape that the current Tecnica TNTs...

SX92 Equipe I loved those boots when I had a pair Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

unfortunately no one else did.

how extraordinary....
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

unfortunately no one else did.

how extraordinary....

Yes, especially as all "my" family and friends ski Confused Confused
snow report
2 years ago I left my Hunter wellingtons in the garage.....forgot about them but also realised that we'd left a bag of bird peanuts over the other side of the garage in some orange Sainsburys carrier bags. Came to look for my Wellies.......mmm, one full to the brim with peanuts, the other full of ripped up orange bags and yellow insulation off some insulated plasterboards......and VERY smelly (poo-ville).......Squirrels are so industrious......Wellies cleaned out and back in use .........proper Yorkshireman?! wink

And the moral of this is that everything is useful........ish!
latest report
Mine go in the plastics re-cycling bin - (bright blue here in Lancashire) - if I lived over the border in Yorkshire, I would probably advertise them in the Yorkshire Evening Post Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Traditionally I think you're supposed to turn them into a bong.
ski holidays
snowbandit wrote:
Mine go in the plastics re-cycling bin - (bright blue here in Lancashire) - if I lived over the border in Yorkshire, I would probably advertise them in the Yorkshire Evening Post Toofy Grin

we wouldnt take then as they're from Lancashire wink wink
snow report
skitech, yeah too right
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy