Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

5 people caught in in-bounds avalanche at Jackson Hole

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I wasn't quite sure whether to post this in the off-piste section, but 5 people were caught in an in-bounds avalanche at Jackson Hole and buried to varying degrees. It occurred on Saturday morning in an expert chutes area which was officially open and therefore nominally avalanche controlled. It just goes to show that even in such areas there is always a finite risk. https://buckrail.com/in-bounds-avalanche-at-jackson-hole-mountain-resort-3-buried-no-fatalities/?fbclid=IwAR2STJ6SCam8cs5K48QbFC58N7ryLkrpKhhwvjSc7vHWWIMAPJ95oZnbe74
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very lucky thankfully
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pleased for the lucky outcome. I see, as is always the case, Jackson is over exaggerating their snow. They claim roughly nine feet/290cm to date .......... Ya, right.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pleased that everyone made it out OK. Looks such an innocuous are as well! Well going by the photo I saw on one ladies FB page.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
arcsinice wrote:
Pleased for the lucky outcome. I see, as is always the case, Jackson is over exaggerating their snow. They claim roughly nine feet/290cm to date .......... Ya, right.

Yep sound perfectly plausible

Snowbasin Utah is about 250cm YTD with Alta and Snowbird similar and Utah is a bit further south
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Know the slope well. It's marvellously steep and, as the name suggests, entertainingly narrow in parts - although the name probably exaggerates the actual difficulty. There are several actual chutes of varying width and expertness.

In Europe, a guide would almost certainly insist that the narrow part was taken one at a time, with subsequent skiers having to wait until their lower partner was in a protected spot. As the slopes are assumed to be avi-controlled in Jackson, my family has always just blasted down without a care in the world or any consideration for the consequences of snow-pack failure. It seems that was what happened here. Most people don't have transponders, shovels, etc on that part of the mountain as it's a marked trail within bounds, albeit with a small warning sign at the top.

Glad no-one was hurt. I might be a little more careful next time I'm there.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The riders need to get lawyered up.

Could get a tasty payout.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whitegold wrote:

You mean to say too bad they didn't die. Or their family could have gotten a nice payout. Wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was once on a lift in Breckenridge when a ski instructor was attempting to persuade an American child who was about 6 years old that it was important to lower the bar on the chair lift. He said, 'What would happen if you fell off the chair?' and the little brat answered quick as a flash, 'I'd sue you'.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
john2 wrote:
I was once on a lift in Breckenridge when a ski instructor was attempting to persuade an American child who was about 6 years old that it was important to lower the bar on the chair lift. He said, 'What would happen if you fell off the chair?' and the little brat answered quick as a flash, 'I'd sue you'.

Laughing
Well what did you expect from a country whose founding principles (i.e the Constitution) were created by lawyers....... Wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whitegold wrote:

How? Surely they know the risks when skiing? Therefore accepting them when skiing?

(Serious question).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

How? Surely they know the risks when skiing? Therefore accepting them when skiing?

(Serious question).

All the lift passes have some kind of t&c liability thing on the back basically saying you use the area at your own risk. You have to sign a waiver to pick up a season pass.

Risk of in bounds slides (at least anything big enough to cause serious injury) is so low. Far more risk of serious injury through collisions, tree wells, or even driving to the resort.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
marksymoo wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

(Serious question).

Whilst I question the mentality of someone who looks for an opportunity to gain monetarily after an accident of no one's fault I think the 'victims' probably could take some action unfortunately. That said I'm sure there is some kind of waiver written into your ticket purchase but probably one that a lawyer could punch holes in given the cowdoo litigious nature of our society.
Avalanches are absolute tragedies when a life is lost but it's an accidental natural occurrence that one has to accept is a possibility when skiing - regardless of what type of skiing you're doing (piste/offpiste/controlled/uncontrolled). Unfortunately poo-poo happens.
*Personally if I had to choose between dying in an avalanche while skiing or getting hit by a bus walking to work I'd take the avalanche. (I would hope that it happened on the last day of my holiday though). Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Whilst I question the mentality of someone who looks for an opportunity to gain monetarily after an accident of no one's fault I think the 'victims' probably could take some action unfortunately.

In 2012 a skier died in an in bounds avalanche at winter park. The family took legal action. In 2016 Colorado supreme court judged that in bounds avalanches are an inherent risk of skiing and that the waiver sufficiently covered what happened. So the precedent is legal action won't work.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Colorado state law is not unsurprisingly different from Wyoming. Specifically Colorado has a skier safety act which effectively writes waiver stuff into law. No idea what Wyoming law is.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy