Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria motorhome options

Poster: A snowHead
I'm after some more options/opinions please. We arrive in Zell am See on the 23rd of December and we were planning on staying until New Years Eve and traveling back through Germany for a couple of nights. I'm now thinking we need to make more use of the motorhome and travel to another campsite instead of staying put in Zell am See for 9 days. I'm thinking 4 days then move on to another resort but I'm not sure where to go that's family orientated and as snow sure as possible with plenty to do for my nearly 2 year old, any suggestions on other resorts within around 2 hours would be fantastic, cheers all.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anywhere in Ski Welt.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I should add, this is a winter/Christmas holiday and not a hardcore snowboard until you drop everyday holiday, snowboarding is an added bonus for a few days but we'd like to stay in or near a resort for the Christmas fun and vibes.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not sure what you are trying to achieve, Zell is a perfectly fine resort. It is a small town rather than a village but very similar to many other places in the Tirol / Salzburgerland with the added attraction of the lake. It does not have the most extensive skiing or is particularly snow sure but you dont seem to want that sort of skiing and the snow is due to arrive this coming weekend. There are lots of other places nearby, as mentioned Skiwelt is one option, it really depends on what you want to do.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just looking at options really, because of the motorhome we've hired it obviously means we have a lot more freedom to move around and see new places. We've never been to Zell am See so we've no idea if we will like it for a long holiday, we may arrive and find it to be amazing and suit all our needs, if so we'll stay put and enjoy ourselves. It just seemed silly to not look into other resorts in case we fancied moving on elsewhere.
I'll look into Skiwelt? Thanks
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you are just looking for a potential change of scenery there are lots of options. The Zillertal which has a number of resorts is not too long a drive away. Kitubühel is a proper town with an extensive ski area. If you are looking for a change from skiing there is the Chiemsee in Bavaria, too cold for windsurfing at Christmas but it is a big lake, some interesting islands, the boats run all year (if the lake freezes they break the ice to keep the boats running). There are a number of lakes south of Munich, two of which, Tegernsee and Schliersee have small ski areas nearby.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
out of interest @notverygoodatskiing, will you be tying yourself to campsites / official sites........... or will you be free camping etc?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@munich_irish, thank you very much, I'll have a good look at those, it's nice to have options.

@kiteman69, we'll be mainly staying in proper campsites except for the drive down, but even then we'll be staying in a Stellplatz by the looks of things. Are you doing something similar?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There's a very nice campsite at Fieberbrunn (haven't stayed there but have heard it's good) - it's at the luxury end of camping so rather more expensive than others.

Still within your 2 hour drive and along the Zillertal, as already suggested, there are a couple of campsites including Mayrhofen (which we've been to several times).

Picked up from the fb "Motorhome & Ski" group - "Can highly recommend Campingdorf Hofer in Zell am Ziller, Austria. Great facilities, 30 meters to ski bus from boot room, great skiing and Apres. We've never skied in the Zillertal before but dropped in for a couple of days to test it out.....well impressed with the ski area"
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Scamper, excellent cheers

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 5-12-18 17:29; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
notverygoodatskiing wrote:
@Scamper, excellent, Where is that group? On Facebook?

Yes, it's a closed group but you'll have no problems being accepted.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
notverygoodatskiing wrote:

@kiteman69, we'll be mainly staying in proper campsites except for the drive down, but even then we'll be staying in a Stellplatz by the looks of things. Are you doing something similar?

Not in 2019, but Mrs K and I have just taken delivery of our new MH and are planning something in 2020..................although might pluck up the courage and try and do Scotland in 2019 for a few days

I look forward to reading your trip report.

More importantly I look forward to pictures snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@notverygoodatskiing, Do you know how well winterised the van you are hiring is?
Some are much better prepared for the cold as others
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kiteman69, do it, we travelled round Scotland in a camper van a few Christmas back, amazing place.

@Garfield, I'll let you know in a couple of weeks Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
One thing you should consider is the location of a campsite with respect to the town if you're looking to do non-skiing activities - especially in the evening. We very rarely move our motorhome once we get to a site.

As an example, the Zell am See campsite is well out of town and, from memory, few buses and none in the evening. Kitubühel is similar. The Fieberbrunn is rather small and the site quite a walk uphill from the town.

In contrast, the site in Mayrhofen is about 10 mins walk from the edge of the main town area.

If you haven't seen it, this website has some very useful info: http://www.motorhomeski.com
snow report
@Exem, thanks for the link

I'll go and put the kettle on Very Happy
snow conditions
@notverygoodatskiing, if you have hired the motorhome in this country please check the tyres. If they are not winter rated, or at least marked 'M & S', don't go to Germany or Austria in winter!

They are not required in France but you need to carry snow chains in the Alps.
ski holidays
@Exem, Thank you for the info and link.

We've been planning this trip for well over 6 months, winter tyres was the first challenge ticked off the list, cheers
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy