Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When is fleece Fleece?

Poster: A snowHead
I've been looking for an extra midlayer for my legs. I was ideally thinking 3/4 length fleece shorts, but can't find any at all. Most 'jogging bottoms' call themselves fleece, but are generally cotton with a furry 'fleeced' interior.

I was popping through my local Dunnes (think Irish m&s) and was drawn to a display of rather fetching Sesame Street branded Cookie Monster Fleece pyjama trousers. I envisage five minutes with a pair of scissors and hey presto, 3/4 length thermals. They're 100% polyester so no cotton, quite an open feeling material, a bit akin to loose felt. Whilst it doesn't feel like a fleece mid layer top (material wise) would there be any reason it wouldn't perform acceptably?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You'll give 'em a laugh at the casualty station, anyway.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Your solution was probably cheaper than what I ended up with. If the Cookie Monster doesn’t work out, you can check these out.

https://www.houdinisportswear.com/us/men/baselayers/ms-drop-knee-power-tights

And

https://www.northernplayground.no/shop/zipshorts-padded-nb/zipshorts-padded-m/

They also do a 3/4 length and non-padded versions:

https://www.northernplayground.no/shop/ziplongs-padded/ziplongs-padded-m/

https://www.northernplayground.no/shop/ziplongs/ziplongs-microfleece-m/
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Polyester generally stinks when exposed to sweat.
A base layer that combats the stink e.g. Merino wool would most likely be needed if you wanted to wear them for a few days at a time.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I got fleece base layer made by regatta
Stink after 2 days wear
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cycling leg warmers maybe?
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/group-tests/leg-warmers-and-knee-warmers-a-buyers-guide-187111
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I’m after a looser fitting mid layer - i’ve Got some base/thermal type layers, but I recently got some very thin bibs, and think even doubling up base/thermals might not do it on my trip this year.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@rogg, I'd look at something like this personally...(quick google search but hopefully you get my point!)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Under-Armour-Compression-Capri-Thermal/dp/B00KK1IA3I?tag=amz07b-21
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@rogg, seems strange your legs get so cold... Puzzled

Do you have a medical condition?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@rogg,

Is your outer layer just a shell, is that why you are looking for a fleece mid layer?
If so maybe a thicker softshell pant would be better.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
https://www.picture-organic-clothing.com/collection/en/midlayers/944-mitty.html
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Organic polyester! rolling eyes
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AL9000 wrote:
Organic polyester! rolling eyes

Yes, but they are a mid layer, so would be ideal for a hardshell setup.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the input/replies.

@Layne, not really, very thin bibs (very thin shell, much thinner than my usual 3L Goretex shells) plus thin thermals at -10 to -20 (maybe more if you add windchill)...........I assume you'd be cosy?

@DB, I'm heading to Japan so hoping for a powfest, I snowboard so when I sit or bend down to strap in my back foot it's inevitable that I get a gap between powder skirt and trousers. If I forget to adjust and wipeout, It's chilly buttcrack time, hence the bibs.

@Mr.Egg, I did look at something like that, but couldn't find 3/4 lengths, just standard shorts.Ta.

@kitenski, I've got a pair of those, but reckon they might be a bit cool for sitting on the lift, I'm mainly going to be lift served so no real temperature/activity spiking.

I think I'm going to stick with the €10 fleece Cookie Monster fleece troose as an experiment. If they don't work out I'll double/triple layer up. I guess I'll ask the original question again: Is there any reason that 100% polyester fleece pyjama trousers wouldn't work as a fleece mid layer?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Icebreaker do great 3/4 length thermals called Legless. Well worth the money, as they last so much longer than others.
latest report
rogg wrote:
Thanks for the input/replies.

@Layne, not really, very thin bibs (very thin shell, much thinner than my usual 3L Goretex shells) plus thin thermals at -10 to -20 (maybe more if you add windchill)...........I assume you'd be cosy?

@DB, I'm heading to Japan so hoping for a powfest, I snowboard so when I sit or bend down to strap in my back foot it's inevitable that I get a gap between powder skirt and trousers. If I forget to adjust and wipeout, It's chilly buttcrack time, hence the bibs.

@Mr.Egg, I did look at something like that, but couldn't find 3/4 lengths, just standard shorts.Ta.

@kitenski, I've got a pair of those, but reckon they might be a bit cool for sitting on the lift, I'm mainly going to be lift served so no real temperature/activity spiking.

I think I'm going to stick with the €10 fleece Cookie Monster fleece troose as an experiment. If they don't work out I'll double/triple layer up. I guess I'll ask the original question again: Is there any reason that 100% polyester fleece pyjama trousers wouldn't work as a fleece mid layer?

maybe take a look at marmot toasters
https://www.backpacking-united.com/en/marmot-toaster-boot-top-tight-black?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpJCqtsj-3gIVAbTtCh2lpAhKEAQYAyABEgIFRPD_BwE
snow conditions
@rogg, funnily enough I was in Dunnes the other week and asking myself the same questions! They can't be that different surely?

Last time I was in Niseko we had -20 and spent a while in a queue waiting for the top lifts to open. I was wearing heavy roubaix cycling tights, heavily insulated trousers, 2 base layers, a fleece and a big ultra puffy down ski jacket. I was cold. Other people were blue. I can't get my head around people who can tolerate that kind of cold in a couple of layers. The only time I was too warm the whole 2 weeks was hiking out on the cat track out gate 5, so I opened my coat and it was fine. If you're anything like me, wrap up!
snow conditions
I'll be nipping into town on Wednesday so we'll find out soon enough eh?
latest report
Mountain Hardwear and Rab power stretch tights are what I use for winter mountaineering as a base layer with a hard shell over.
I also have a pair of Arcteryx base layer pants (same as power stretch tights) that finish at the calf, so good for when wearing ski boots.
All of them are good for multi day use with underwear underneath and no issues with being smelly in less than a week.
snow conditions
We were looking at these to wear under hardshells in colder weather https://www.decathlon.co.uk/sfr-activ-900-m-dwn-pa-grey-id_8505711.html
ski holidays
RobinS wrote:
We were looking at these to wear under hardshells in colder weather https://www.decathlon.co.uk/sfr-activ-900-m-dwn-pa-grey-id_8505711.html

Thanks Robin, in the end I went with a pair of these - they look just the ticket, though possibly slightly less sartorial than the Cookie Monster fleece.

Just waiting for their arrival and hoping they don't get delayed by the Christmas post........ I'll let you know how they feel when they arrive, or did you get some already?
snow conditions
We are planning on dropping in to a Decathlon on our way over the weekend - we are heading out for the season.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy