Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski/ Snow Backpack

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

1st time poster here but I have been reading your forum for a while.

I am looking for durable lightweight rucksack for skiing. A rucksack with a waist strap purely for water, snacks and an extra layer. Possibly with a volume of under 10litres and good value (under 70quid).

What is everyone wearing? any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Ste
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi @Ste, welcome to snowHeads! Decathlon may be your friend here:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-904418-backpacks/N-289415-sport~ski

I don't own one (although I've considered it), and I've rarely heard people complain about the Wed'Ze brand. Otherwise I've always found Lowe Alpine to be "good value" (I still have their kit from 20+ years ago), although I don't have anything specific in mind from their offering. I've personally been watching the Dare2Be Krosfire 24, although I don't have any first hand experience as to whether it's any good.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome.
There are many many threads on sacs - check this section of the forum or search.
I am also a Decathlon fan, but for your needs any small sac sounds like it will do. No need to pay £££s! Try Millets, any local high street or independent walking/climbing shop, Mountain Warehouse, etc etc.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've always found a chest/sternum strap is a must to keep the pack stable.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon wrote:
I've always found a chest/sternum strap is a must to keep the pack stable.

More important than a waist strap if you're not carrying a big load. But easily fashioned from any old lanyard and a gadget biner if necessary.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry its a bit of a budget buster but get an ortovox freerider with the back protector. On a high speed wipeout you don't want a bottle of water smashing into your vertebrae as you land. Mine is 10 years old now and still like new so worth the extra imo.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Albasnow wrote:
... get the back protector.... you don't want a bottle of water smashing into your vertebrae as you land.

Good point. So pack your water bottle(s) - 2 small easier than 1 big - at the sides and wrap in anything soft. Buy cheap thick rollmat and put down the inside of the rucksack between its back and yours. Much cheaper Cool

Also second what Spyderjon and dotm said - never seen a rucksack that doesn't have some kind of strap, though; if not long enough over bulky ski jacket, go for dotm's solution.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have a Dakine heli.pro bought secondhand for about £30. Thoroughly recommend it
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I second the decathlon link from @EarthWindandWater,
Bought a nice cheap (£25) ski pack and it was just big enough for spare thin down top , spare hat and gloves and water bottle. In theory reversable without having to take rucksack off, so it can be rotated from on back to on chest on a ski lift. But I never did figure out how.
No problems with it, survived daily use for a week at Tignes last April including a couple of pratfalls without any tearing or wear. The "only" casualty was 1 phone when 2nd fall burst water bottle i'd stupidly put inside pack. Not much padding on the shoulders, but it keeps the bulk down.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/fs500-reverse-petrol-id_8398272.html
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
HotDogger wrote:
I have a Dakine heli.pro bought secondhand for about £30. Thoroughly recommend it

I have the same and recommend it. The chest strap is essential IMHO. Bought in the sales at 1/2 price
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Heli Pro also has ski carrier hoops. Really handy if you're not ski in ski out.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Albasnow wrote:
Sorry its a bit of a budget buster but get an ortovox freerider with the back protector. On a high speed wipeout you don't want a bottle of water smashing into your vertebrae as you land. Mine is 10 years old now and still like new so worth the extra imo.

We've got 3no Ortovox Powder Rider 18's in our house, we got them in Technique Extreme in Chx for about €25 each, low on 'features' but do have a back protector. A quick Google suggests they were a bargain end of line though, as is TE's m.o.

We also have 2no Simond Alpinism 22 (Decathalon) bags, these were super cheap, you see a lot of them in Chx. They are low on features again, no back protector, but do have ski carry, had them for years and they hold up well.

I'm not going to list the rest of our packs, as otherwise our lack of control when faced with a 'bargain' pack will become all too evident.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dakine Heli Pack. For me, in that size/price range it can't be beat.
If I lost it (perish the thought), would buy another one without even thinking.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 5-12-18 18:31; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yet another Dakine Heli Pro here (although the zips need replacing after many years of hard use)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dakine Heli Pack - similar features to Heli Pro but holds less, about 11 litres.
latest report
My bad. Mine's also a Heli Pack (the 11 ltr one). Got the name mixed up Embarassed

Edit:
Have now edited my first post to reflect that.
ski holidays
I have the pack and the pro. Both excellent but that said I've yet to buy anything sub standard from decathlon so you wouldn't go wrong that way either.
Just realised I may suffer the same backpack compulsion as @midgetbiker, !
ski holidays
Have used both heli pro and pack, but I dislike all the bl**dy straps that have the potential to catch on lifts

Have found this black diamond dawn patrol 15 to be better, no straps and robust and better features esp the ski carry compared to the heli pack

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Diamond-Dawn-Patrol-Rucksack/dp/B00QWIED2K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1544049705&sr=8-1&keywords=black+diamond+dawn+15&tag=amz07b-21

or this link amazon & search and snowheads gets a kickback if you buy Very Happy
latest report
Huge thanks guys. I was actually looking at the Dakine Helipack. Although i do like the thought of ski carry.
snow report
@s.t.h.21, the Heli Pack does actually have that function (@ 0:30 sec):

http://youtube.com/v/anMazkIcAZg
snow report
Hi Snowglider,

So it does! Thank you very much.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy