Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

choosing right googles

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I will ski in for Christmas in French ski ressort Val Cenis. Not the biggest but not the smallest neither but with some nice ski paths and affordable prices. The thing is it is exposed north and even if the weather is good or even sunny you don't see much of sun and slopes lacks of light. What kind of lens should I choose? I was thinking cat 1 lenses should be good (I thought orange lens) but is it really the best choice? I was thinking getting the oakley O frame XL (I have rather large face) with persimmon lens quite cheap. But wouldn't the Oakley's prizm cat 1 or 2 would be better? Prizm Hi Pink (it is really for bad weather I guess) or for example the prim Rose. I was there in Val Cenis last year too and my Bollé Modulator was really not adapted at all and at some point I was obliged to takes the mask off to see properly. So to summarize I would like a mask which would help with low light conditions (but not necessarily fog or heavy snow); which would give really good contrast so I can clearly see what is in front of me.

thank for help
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
These work fine in low light and snow. I go to the pub of it rains.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/g-500-ad-jr-s1-black-id_8494707.html
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@spitfire303, I have the oakley O frame XL with persimmon lens and it works pretty well.

Discussion on the different Prizm lenses here
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Persimmon/ orange are usually Cat 2 which is a pretty versatile lens. You need to go hi yellow or pink for real Cat 1 grey out. The main advantage of Prizm lenses is they work better across a spectrum of conditions but all the brands have similar tech e.g. Smith Cromapop, Dragon Lumalens,
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@spitfire303,

If you want a general purpose, low ish light high contrast lens, good for Dec /Jan then look at Oakley Prism Rose. It can handle low intensity sun and low ish light conditions with good terrain contrast.

I have also a Atomic Revent Yellow/Blue mirrored HD lens but, IMO it is only suitable /necessary from 4pm or for very dark shaded areas. Do I really want to carry it around for that? If the sun broke out on a low light day, it wouldn't be dark enough. Hmm, I'll have to experiment myself!
In January, I'm using the Prism Rose.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Choose a Smith frame that fits your face and helmet.

Get/order the Chromapop Photochromic Rose Flash lens to go with it.

Wear and enjoy it from sunny days through to skiing under floodlights.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@spitfire303, One thing to remember is that we all have slightly different eyesight. Everyone is on a similar spectrum, with the majority in the middle, but there will always be those at either extreme. This means that a goggle lense that works well for someone else may not work for you. Also if there is no contrast, no goggle lens will help, but if there is a little, some of the newer lens technologies can certainly help.

It also depends on how much of a visual skier you are. I very much need to able to clearly see the snow surface and terrain to ski well, whereas I’ve had people ski past me in near whiteout conditions as if it was a bright sunny day, apparently oblivious to the fact they can’t see anything.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thank you all for your replies. I've ordered two Oakley masks:

O frame 2.0 XL mask with fire iridium and persimmon screen (fairly cheap) and the Oakley Line miner matte black prim rose.

If the prizm fits me well this is the one I will keep. I cant test it before end of December so it will be just face fit / general impression choice.

I hope I won't get it wrong.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PowderAdict wrote:

It also depends on how much of a visual skier you are. I very much need to able to clearly see the snow surface and terrain to ski well, whereas I’ve had people ski past me in near whiteout conditions as if it was a bright sunny day, apparently oblivious to the fact they can’t see anything.

It's not just me then, my skiing turns to cr@p in poor visibility
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I’ve had people ski past me in near whiteout conditions as if it was a bright sunny day, apparently oblivious to the fact they can’t see anything

Me too. It's not that they can see a lot better - they're just better skiers. wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I’ve had people ski past me in near whiteout conditions as if it was a bright sunny day, apparently oblivious to the fact they can’t see anything

They will have learned in Scotland! That's how we ski most of the time.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've got a pair of yellow low viz cycling glasses from decathlon. I think they were under a fiver and I've ski'd all over Glencoe in them in blizzard conditions with no complaints.
The thing I like about glasses is that they don't steam up nearly as bad as goggles and they're easy to carry and cheap to replace (which I haven't had to do yet)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy