Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

To Notwax or not?

Poster: A snowHead
A ski tech recently told me that Zardoz Notwax is very difficult to remove from a ski base once it has impregnated and thus to not use it. Is this true?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Total bollux!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry, I should have specified the ‘base boost’ treatment. Is he still talking bollux?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's the same stuff. Yes, it's still bollux.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks. Thought so.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@spyderjon, Are there any difference between the Base Boost and the NotWax pucks? It’s difficult to tell from the packaging as to me they look the same.

Also how is NotWax different from normal wax?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Zardoz Base Boost is rebranded/repackaged Zardoz Notwax.

Zardoz is not a hydro/fluorocarbon wax but an inert teflon based super slippery short term surface coating that'll last anything from a single run to a day.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And also great on your edges for transport to stop your edges rusting!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@spyderjon, thank you. What factors determine its longevity and is it a viable substitute for waxing if applied daily?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Ozboy, that would be a very expensive solution! I see it as an as well as wax rather than instead of. It is handy in spring when the afternoon slush gets sticky, but I don’t generally use it the rest of the season. It normally lasts the rest of the day if applied after lunch..
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scarlet wrote:
@Ozboy,.......I see it as an as well as wax rather than instead of......

That's exactly it. The clues in the names, ie not wax and base boost. Great for skiers who are waxing for unknown conditions so choose a wax with as widest snow temperature operating range as possible (ie Dominator Zoom Lime Uni or Uni Graphite) and then add some Base Boost to either supplement the wax (longer lasting) or if there's big changes in temperature (which is what happens in Spring conditions). Base Boost can be used in lieu of wax if needed but that's not its intention.

One thing that I've always found strange is that on the package of the Base Boost pocket puck it says that it's good for approx 15 applications but it'll do waaaaay than that.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@spyderjon, @Scarlet, thanks for clarifying as I only came across NotWax a few weeks ago and it seemed too good to be true. I see it will come in handy on day 1 if not yet had opportunity to get skiis waxed.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PaulC1984 wrote:

Top tip and imo about the only thing the stuff is good for...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret wrote:
PaulC1984 wrote:

Top tip and imo about the only thing the stuff is good for...

Couldn't disagree with you more. Zardoz is great for its intended purpose.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Also an old race prep tip is to apply it onto a base as part of prep and then to wax over it. Some rises up onto the wax surface but some remains in the base. I've been using it for years along with the Zoom wax and very often my skis are the ones which run further on the flats than all my ski friends skis.
latest report
spyderjon wrote:
One thing that I've always found strange is that on the package of the Base Boost pocket puck it says that it's good for approx 15 applications but it'll do waaaaay than that.

Ah but is it waaaaay more or waaaaay less? Toofy Grin

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 2-12-18 18:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Alastair Pink wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

Ah bit is it waaaaay more or waaaaay less? Toofy Grin

Waaaay more Embarassed Laughing
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, Or on a steep slope weeeeeeeeeeee!!!!
ski holidays
I haven't tried NotWax with skins yet, but I have wondered whether it affects the way the skins stick to the skis. NotWax is based on teflon after all and not much sticks to teflon...
ski holidays
bolderz wrote:
I haven't tried NotWax with skins yet, but I have wondered whether it affects the way the skins stick to the skis. NotWax is based on teflon after all and not much sticks to teflon...

In theory Zardoz is inert and should not effect skin glue however I have no intention of testing this out. IIRC Scarpa has tried this with no issues but he'll have to chime in on that one.

My advice to my customers is to not be fitting skins directly after applying Zardoz but there's nowt wrong with skinning up and then giving the bases a wipe of Zardoz for the down after removing the skins - and I've got plenty of customers that do that, especially in spring conditions. Skin glue tends to have 'dulling' effect on the base so using Zardoz in this situation seems a good idea.
snow report
Can't believe the OP didn't go with the thread title "To Notwax of not Notwax" Twisted Evil
latest report
I've used it on snowboards, when I have been too lazy to re-wax. It definitely works.
snow report
I bought some (it was on offer) with the intention of "topping up" midweek and tbh I never really got round to using it.

Reality is after showering, cooking, eating and a glass or two of something a trip down to the locker room for a bit of a rub down ain't too enticing. I guess if my skis looked or felt markedly bad I would have - and clearly that wasn't the case. And/or, I'm just plain lazy!
latest report
I was once out on a particularly warm spring day when the snow was so slushy and grabby and hard to ski, that I actually sacked off lunch in order to nip back to the hotel for my Notwax to save my afternoon! Since then, I always leave it in my bag. Most of the time, I don't bother with it, but it's one of those things that if you need it, you really need it. It definitely works.
snow report
Yup, I wouldn't Zardoz a ski and then stick a skin on it but on skis where I've used it as part of waxing process I've never had a problem with skins not sticking. As spyderjon says, it is brilliant for giving a quick wipe at the top before the ski down.
ski holidays
What about DPS Phantom? Any good or yet another snake oil?
ski holidays
@mooney058, was just going to ask the same question, feckin expensive snake oil though!!! ($99 Shocked )

https://www.dpsskis.com/phantom-glide
snow report
mooney058 wrote:
What about DPS Phantom? Any good or yet another snake oil?

Given they can't present a double blind test - which wouldn't be that hard to do and a lot of the marketing has some questionable woo science about it and they haven't fully explained their links to Juice I know where my money is. Certain US forums who may or may not be taking marketing $ from DPS seem to have their own view....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy