Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gimbletastic

Poster: A snowHead
Just bought myself a gimble! Cheaper than getting a decent gopro and the YouTube footage looks excellent. I've never really been a big fan of the POV 'strap on' footage you get with action cams anyway. It always feels a bit detached if you know what I mean. I much prefer being able to point in different directions
it's a Zhiyun 4 Smooth and cost £80.

http://youtube.com/v/Ey21Y8rHP3M
Let's see how it copes with the odd faceplant in the dolomites. Although oddly I find I ski more competently whilst holding a phone/camera.
I've mostly used phones to film so this is kind of a logical progression.
There's a couple of negative reviews but they're outnumbered by the positive so I'm strategically ignoring them until such time as I realise I may have bought a white elephant.
There's a YouTube vid of some guy modifying chest straps and such to mount it. Gotta say I don't fancy falling on it.... And I almost definitely will.

http://youtube.com/v/eIxcEM9iSf4_________________

Keen to hear from anyone else with gimble experience especially if anyone's got this model.

Edit - I've reposted this from the bb drivel thread because apparently it's just not drivelly enough! Toofy Grin

The pen is mightier than the sword, and is considerably easier to write with.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
HotDogger wrote:
... I've reposted this from the bb drivel thread because apparently it's just not drivelly enough! Toofy Grin ....

Film a trip to London zoo and you might spark some interest from that lot rolling eyes

Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DJI have just released a new all-in-one camera-gimbal, the Osmo Pocket. Palm-sized, video quality much the same as the latest GoPro, weighs less than 120g, up to 4K60 recording and 3-axis gimbal stability. Downside compared to a GoPro is that it's not waterproof and the audio recording quality is significantly worse, but compared to that chest-mounted Zhiyun set up it won't kill you if you land on it.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Here's a demo video produced using a DJI Osmo and their Z axis device. The actual impressive bit starts at 26 seconds. It was filmed by a guy running behind the cyclist (as you can see at 2 minutes 30 seconds). Pretty smooth for hand held.

http://youtube.com/v/UYzAP2Tmggw
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah, that's a pretty good Steadicam. You may also want to try the other approach, which is 360 degree capture then post processing. That gives you stabilisation without mechanics, and has the added advantage of being able to pan around in post production. For now, unless you're paying a lot of money, you lose some resolution....

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 3-12-18 19:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The thing with the osmo pocket is given the amazing stabilisation of the latest gopro's I don't see the advantage to it at that price point really.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
HotDogger wrote:
The thing with the osmo pocket is given the amazing stabilisation of the latest gopro's I don't see the advantage to it at that price point really.
The GoPro 7 is very good with its built in electronic stabilisation, but it's nowhere near as good as a 3-axis gimbal if there are large movements which need smoothing out. The GoPro is great at minimising small movements, vibrations, etc but if you tip 30 degrees on any axis it's simply not going to be be able keep the video frame level (compare with the linked video from Awdbugga). The quality of the GoPro 7's stabilisation also drops off markedly in low light.

I think the new Osmo Pocket does some things much better than the GoPro, and the GoPro does some things much better than the Osmo Pocket. In an ideal world you'd have access to both of them, but that gets a bit expensive!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I used the smooth q last season, will try and post a clip. It is fantastic at smoothing out bumps and vibration, and the person-tracking in the app is pretty good if you don’t move the camera around too fast.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I will admit the Osmo video I posted looks better than it probably is because there are no horizontal lines for your eye to register and compare vertical movement against. When I used to produce videos with my son; we would occasionally try and use an Osmo before we bought the Ronin. Works reasonably well until you are moving with horizontal lines of any sort present in the shot; then your eye picks up the up and down movement.

Anyway @HotDogger, looks like you've just volunteered yourself to be the official BB videographer in the absence of @robinagogo and @fistral. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Congratulations @HotDogger!
I'm sure you'll do a splendid job. I hope it will be as good, if not better, than last year's BB video Madeye-Smiley

Quote:
When I used to produce videos with my son...

...and
@Awdbugga's just volunteered to be the official BB video editor Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

In an ideal world you'd have access to both of them,

That's pretty much what I do, except it's an original Osmo and a Sony X3000 which has decent built in stabilisation. It works great for my purposes (mainly just filming family and friends and mucking about). The Osmo can be a bit robotic if you are jerking around a lot, but it is incredible at stabilising skiing footage if you can ski smoothly while using it.

Most of this is Osmo and the POV stuff is Sony.

http://youtube.com/v/Fu2tF_JZghE
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ha ha! We have a team!
@AL9000, you're human resources and cake fetcher
@rob@rar, for technical and emotional support.
Me for haphazard filming and getting the wrong end of the stick,
@Awdbugga, for edit and lighting (fairy lights on the night run).
@snowdave, to actually do the job right after we've failed miserably and have retreated to the nearest buffet.
It'd take some doing to match the quality of @robinagogo and @fistral's cinematic offerings mind. But where there's a will and all that!
Go Team BB! Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@HotDogger, The A team. I love it when a plan comes together. Hoo Haa.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@element, nice edit.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@HotDogger, I've already started my rigorous cake-eating training regime. Starting small with Mini-Rolls, going Madeira next week. Wish me luck! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Going full Madeira so soon? You don't (Eton) mess around!
ski holidays
@HotDogger, I'm leaving out the thick, warm, freshly-made custard, so just about do-able!
(cue Rocky music)
snow report
@element, really nice. Looks like a good old do!
I might try a camcorder and gaffa tape. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Oh boy are we inching into drivel creep?
ski holidays
Let’s see if this link works...

http://youtube.com/v/Y7qCP0v2aZQ
latest report
@snowdave, nice! What a day too. @rob@rar, @HotDogger, thanks, my new to skiing mates loved watching themselves back in HD.
snow report
Apparently you can buy a hero 2018 black (1080p) - Very £150 (further discount for new customers).
Then download gopro 5 Black firmware (4k and GPS) , run the update and voilà!
Me smells a Christmas list treat. Toofy Grin
I'd better order some gaffer tape now.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy