Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort recommendations please

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

We're a small group of late 30s guys who are stumped as to where to go this season. We have a trip of 4-5 nights in late March pencilled in. Want to go to a new resort and priorities are (i) decent range of cruisy red and blue runs, (ii) good lunching and some apres, (iii) beautiful scenery, (iv) given the time of year, snow quality. Chalet/hotel/self-catering etc are all OK with us.

Resorts we've already been to, in rough (and descending) order of how much we liked them:

Saalbach
Courchevel
Wengen
Meribel
Avoriaz
Verbier
Chamonix
La Plagne
Alpe d'Huez
Tignes

Don't have much time at the moment to research resorts and considering doing Saalbach again if we don't come up with a different option - any help appreciated!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ski Amade, Flachau/Wagrain/Alpendorf and take a day up on the Hochkonig or Schladming. Stunning today and meets all your needs. And, if you want a mid-week trip, can offer you a self-catering deal from 25-29/30 March to take advantage of cheaper flights to Salzburg.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Right between Saalbach, Courchevel and Wengen, you should like Lech. And actually Lech might very well end up being your new number one.
Would advise against Ski Amadé for end march, might get very slushy there.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both

A friend recommended Lech for cruisy skiing and good lunching, what's the apres vibe like? Doesn't need to be as lively as Saalbach, but Wengen and Courchevel (we stayed in 1850) were a bit too quiet.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You didn't mention budget, but look at Ischgl. Fabulous piste skiing and arguably the world's best apres. It's a large, high resort which will easily tick all of your boxes.

You'd probably much prefer Val d'Isere to Tignes, and it's excellent for a late March trip. Wonderful range of runs, snowsure, good links to Tignes - and Cocorico will provide all you need for apres!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Budget isn't much of an issue for a short trip, fortunately.

I haven't been to Tignes but my friend hated it for some reason. Not sure if he'd consider VDI but I'll suggest it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cervinia checks everything on your list. I'm unsure about the apres, but there is some, as per your requirements. Laughing It's mostly about cruisy red and blue runs. Delicious lunch is abundant. The scenery is the Matterhorn. The altitude guarantees good snow.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cervinia is good for that time of year as @SkiingDad, says, especially if you utilise the link to Zermatt. However, Apres is not so good there. I would throw Mayrhofen into the mix. The skiing is reasonably high and the glacier is up the road. Apres is comparable to Saalbach as well. Add in easy transfers from Innsbruck (or Salzburg I guess) and you can't really go wrong. Cheaper than Ischgl and Lech as well.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Zermatt ticks all your boxes!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not sure that places like Saalbach or Ski Amade are sensible at the end of March. There will be skiing, especially given the amount of snow that has fallen but it is likely to be very much ski to lunchtime and then long lunches as the snow turns to sugar / big puddles. Kitzbühel does have a reputation for keeping reasonable conditions into the spring but not sure that there would be enough to keep you all happy. You might be better off sticking to France, the big resorts there often come into their own late season, less crowds but still lots of good skiing (long time since I was there but I much preferred Val d'Isere to Tignes). In Austria the Arlberg and Ischgl will almost certainly provide excellent conditions. As mentioned above, if budget is not an issue Lech could well be an ideal location, though Ischgl and St Anton wont be that much cheaper. One place often forgotten by UK based folks is Serfauss / Fiss, it is pretty high, has a good variety of skiing though not so hot for raucous apres if that is a key factor. If you choose any of the last three areas fly into Zürich for an easy transfer and a big choice of flights
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all. We can deal with slushy snow up to a point, e.g. went to Verbier in mid-April 2018. Don't need raucous apres or nightclubs, but nice to have some bars both piste-side and near accommodation.

What about the Dolomites - too quiet/lack of altitude would rule them out?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sauze d'Oulx ticks all your boxes.
Big high ski area with lots of cruisy runs. Superb food. Easy to get to from Turin (handy for a shorter trip)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
quite a pretty old village with some gorgeous old piste side chalets / mountain huts
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Look no further than Pas de la casa. It ticks all your boxes. Probably the cheapest beer prices too.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dolomites: not advisable end march
Lech apres: there is some, but it is bit sedate.
Ischgl might be the place to go then for your group
latest report
I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but Val Thorens could be an option? Plenty of cruisey reds and blues, and the altitude means conditions should still be good end of March.
snow report
I have similar priorities. Your preference for Saalbach is wise. Salzburg (province) being well east offers good conditions into April above about 850 metres. Try the Hochkonig 40 minutes away (Maria Alm through to Muhlbach) for wonderful skiing and unparalleled beauty. It's not on the big tour operators lists though. Do you have your own transport? If so think about the Super Salzburg pass rather than the Amade pass.
snow conditions
Quote:

Try the Hochkonig 40 minutes away (Maria Alm through to Muhlbach) for wonderful skiing and unparalleled beauty.

^^^ This. Slush is fine (Poor mans Powder) and a price worth paying for extra daylight and sitting out for lunch & drinks.

PLUS - https://www.hochkoenig.at/en/holiday-salzburg/events/details/craft-beer-festival-2.html
and if you get bored of beer, head around the corner
https://www.zellamsee-kaprun.com/en/events/event-calendar/red-turns-enjoying-wine-at-2-000m_e-248486
snow report
La Tania ?
ski holidays
@tripowski, Let me know if you’re thinking of returning to Saalbach - always something new to be discovered, especially as the system is continually being developed and extended.
Our current guests have been to Mayrhofen two years running, but after a couple of days of scooting round the Ski Circus they seem to think that it leaves Mayrhofen in the shade.
snow conditions
tripowski wrote:
Thanks both

A friend recommended Lech for cruisy skiing and good lunching, what's the apres vibe like? Doesn't need to be as lively as Saalbach, but Wengen and Courchevel (we stayed in 1850) were a bit too quiet.

Lech is posh apres IMHV, if you want rowdy stay in St Anton and ski Lech! Check this place out on youtube https://www.mooserwirt.at/en
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy