Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2006 03 01 - Château-d'Oex

Poster: A snowHead

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 17-08-06 18:51; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ise,
Quote:

To be fair, I've had the skis (Stöckli Lasers) for a year and they're were pretty well used so the base was thin but I'm gutted

Sad, though you do get to go and choose a new pair, which is always enjoyable wink The end of season sales will be on soon as well. You seem to have used these skis a lot this winter, how many weeks/days usage?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ise, Just looked at the pics. You had lovely fresh snow, so you took your slalom skis in favour of your Zags? Confused
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 17-08-06 18:52; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ise, Sorry to hear about your damage. Still - on the bright side, it's always good to have a pair of rock-hoppers. Leave the bindings on them and use them when it's too bad for your nice skis - very liberating!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ise,
Quote:

snowbunny, I don't know, enough days to get some sharp intakes of breath when I got Stöckli to service them recently, 80-100 days maybe I guess, just bad luck. I was thinking of buying another pair of Lasers as a spare pair, mine are last year and they're selling them at a discount, I thought I'd hang on to them as a spare pair and get the bindings swapped when I needed.

They have lasted you much longer than your Volkl's. Better buy 2 pairs tomorrow, since they are on offer Very Happy
Quote:

It's so weird that I didn't notice doing it

Too busy enjoying the powder, I suggest. If you had ripped through the base on the last day you had at Rougemont, as it looked like hardpack, I believe you would have felt it straightaway. Would probably still have happened though Sad
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 17-08-06 18:52; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ise wrote:
Yup, it's high time I named the guy Very Happy

James Wilkinson of Ski Academy Switzerland told me to do it Very Happy I skied with him and the gap course before Xmas and he sent me some feedback, broadly, and I paraphrase slightly, "you're rubbish, really you'd be better off giving up and blading but if you insist on skiing then use slalom skis for everything". It's actually good advice, it's hard to ski powder and some variable on slalom skis but it radically alters the way you ski.

???? We've seen some of your turns via The Blogs .... thank goodness he hasn't seen me 'ski'... he'd ban me to the beach Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowbunny wrote:

Too busy enjoying the powder, I suggest. If you had ripped through the base on the last day you had at Rougemont, as it looked like hardpack, I believe you would have felt it straightaway. Would probably still have happened though Sad

I do glance at the bases when I take them off at least 50% of the time, my guess is that I did it right before getting on or off the lift. Within 100m of leaving the lift I could feel the poor response from the ski, when we stopped for coffee later it wasn't a huge surprise to see the holes.

But, a great, great day Very Happy And we're getting an epic snow fall Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ise,
Quote:

James Wilkinson of Ski Academy Switzerland told me to do it I skied with him and the gap course before Xmas and he sent me some feedback, broadly, and I paraphrase slightly, "you're rubbish, really you'd be better off giving up and blading but if you insist on skiing then use slalom skis for everything". It's actually good advice, it's hard to ski powder and some variable on slalom skis but it radically alters the way you ski.

Well, the advice seems to work for you. I admit to needing all the help I can get in variable and powder. Mind you, I have never tried a proper slalom ski, maybe it would be a revelation. Very Happy Then again, your slalom skis, look just like a slightly oversize pair of blades really, can't be much difference in use wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi ISE,

What was his thinking on suggesting you ski slalom skis all the time?

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
On something like pocket rockets or their ilk your balance can be way, way off, say 30' from a good stance, on a pair of slalom skis if you're off by even a small amount then you're somersaulting down the slope. As a much stiffer ski then you also have to be able handle the much greater forces being thrown back at you instead the ski damping them out, using that recoil of the ski becomes part of the way you turn after a while as well.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ise, I do get the point, and as you know I often ski off piste on my Fischers, but I have to say that it's much easier on the Zags! Actually I think they feel and react very much like a slalom ski - I don't have to change the way I ski from the Fischers to Zags as I did when I switched to the Scratchs.

gregh, My slalom skis don't float, but are so stiff and heavy that they slice through everything! Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ise, but... wouldn't the tighter turn radius tend to make you a bit lazy? I know that's why club skiers are made to use their GS skis when not actually racing, in powder, trees, wherever....
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PS - can someone remind which slalom skis I tried out at L2A last October? I know I preferred all the pairs I tried out other than the ones ise liked best (something to do with my build/weight perhaps?)...
snow conditions
interesting, thanks alot, will defo take my slalom skis with me for easter then!!
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
ise, I do get the point, and as you know I often ski off piste on my Fischers, but I have to say that it's much easier on the Zags! Actually I think they feel and react very much like a slalom ski - I don't have to change the way I ski from the Fischers to Zags as I did when I switched to the Scratchs.

But you're a special case Very Happy It's probably more instinctive to you to be positioned right on any ski, for many of us we slip into bad habits of whatever the ski lets you get away with. Having a ski that lets you get away with very little makes me ski better and it's more exhilarating. And, then hopefully you're building that instinct to to positioned correctly.

easiski wrote:
gregh, My slalom skis don't float, but are so stiff and heavy that they slice through everything! Very Happy

I bet mine float less than yours Very Happy Simply due to the weight I'm putting on them Very Happy
ski holidays
PG wrote:
ise, but... wouldn't the tighter turn radius tend to make you a bit lazy? I know that's why club skiers are made to use their GS skis when not actually racing, in powder, trees, wherever....

On some turns, on others it's harder work. The comparitive lack of flex will throw a weaker skier. And a longer GS will float better in powder of course.
snow report
and GS skis are softer than slalom skis!

I don't know about natural positioning. I know I still have to work at it to stay forward enough for this new generation ski. Advantage I find with the Zags is that they float better being light and 78 under the foot, but still turn like a slalom ski. I do find I have to power the Fischers through deep or crud, which is not me - I'm basically a very lazy skier! Shock Shock
latest report
As I commented elsewhere, Stöckli reckon they can fix my Lasers and I've got a "relief" pair of Stormriders while they're doing it Very Happy
snow report
ise,
Quote:

As I commented elsewhere, Stöckli reckon they can fix my Lasers and I've got a "relief" pair of Stormriders while they're doing it

Good news on the Lasers. And you are very fortunate being loaned some Stormriders. So, why are you not out there skiing on them Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy