Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any such thing as a budget location for mid term?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all. We usually have done either Xmas or Easter to 3V/alp d'Huez but this year have to go Feb 16 to 23. I know it's probably late but is there any such thing as a budget location where mid term might not be exhorbitant...any where within a day's drive of Calais considered....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Val Cenis.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The key problem with half term in France is that it's peak French school holiday time too and pistes get very crowded. I'd go to Italy. Driving will be hectic, wherever you go.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I skied Valmeinier (privately booked apartment though Pierre et Vacancies might have ski in out options) at half term and didn't find it as crowded or exoebsive as I expected, though the last leg of the drive was a nightmare.....
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The peak prices for rooms at Hotel Orso Bianco in Sportinia (www.sportinia.it) Sauze d'oulx are really reasonable for catered, it should also be driveable, but for that very reason is usually booked and I don't think you can check availability online
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Kagallag wrote:
Hi all. We usually have done either Xmas or Easter to 3V/alp d'Huez but this year have to go Feb 16 to 23. I know it's probably late but is there any such thing as a budget location where mid term might not be exhorbitant...any where within a day's drive of Calais considered....

Yes, drive to the Kitzbuheler Alps.
We have had a ski week for a family of 4 for £2000, 5 years ago, inc. travel, s/c appartment,2 hotel stops, insurance, lessons for the kids, equipment and passes, staying in St Johann in Tirol - the exchange rate was slightly better, but its still possible for under £2500. If you pay out £20 more per person, you can get the regional pass (Salzburger Super Ski) and you can ski at the Skiwelt, Kitzbuhel and Ski Circus (700km+) all within a 20 min drive.

You'll find your euro goes a lot further in Austria too. Mostly 4 euros for a large beer on the mountain, meals mostly under 10 euros.
Also, that week isn't an especially busy one for Austria.

The only caveat is you must have winter tyres for Germany and Austria. The drive is easy except the Munich ring where there is always a traffic jam. We do cross the channel on Friday night and have a hotel in Belgium.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was going to suggest considering Austria too. Long time since I have driven from London to French Alps but would have thought most places from the Vorarlberg to the Kitzbüheleralpen would not be too much further (done the drive a few times in summer recently, 10 hours Calais to Munich in a not particularly fast car). If you go through Belgium there are no tolls except for the vignette in Austria plus there is cheap petrol in Luxembourg. Half term is later this season for most German / Dutch / Austrian schools which form the majority of the visitors.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
toyah807 wrote:
The peak prices for rooms at Hotel Orso Bianco in Sportinia (www.sportinia.it) Sauze d'oulx are really reasonable for catered, it should also be driveable, but for that very reason is usually booked and I don't think you can check availability online

I enquires several weeks ago about a family room and was told they were fully booked for 16th-23rd so unlesd there's been any cancellations, you're out of luck there I think.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Maybe google school holidays Europe, if there is a country that does not have mid term the same period as UK, would in theory be good value there
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
February is busy everywhere, really, including Austria. Many places will be booked already. At this stage it's a case of grabbing something available. I have regularly driven to the Alps for many years, but would quail at the thought of a half term journey, with delays possible (even probable) at every stage, including the channel ports. If I were thinking of a family holiday, at this stage, I'd be tempted to cross my fingers and hope for a last minute bargain with a tour operator!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What are you looking for / how many people? I know of a very nice chalet in Bourg Saint Maurice (funicular access to Les Arcs) which is still available.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Does it have to a drive? How about Fly Friday night to Munich (cheaper air fare than Sat to sat) cheap airport hotel family room, and then train to an Austrian resort. Reverse the journey following Friday night. You'll be on the slope by lunchtime Saturday, ski hire shops are less busy, and you get almost a full day in on the return day too depending on what time you fly back from Munich.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kagallag wrote:

Try emailing bob@skiaccommodation.co.uk to see if he's got anything. I think you need to just throw your net far and wide. I am sure there will be something still.

Assuming you are driving the biggest hit is on accommodation. Ferry/tunnel may be modest amount more. If you need ski school may be a bit tricky to get in. Lift pass of course will be same price as will be food.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Are you really committed to driving? Cheap flights to Milan are almost always available, and it's within a few hours of many ski stations. As noted, euros mostly go farther in Italy than in France. I'm guessing that you could rent a car in Milan and it wouldn't be that much more expensive that what you'll pay in ferry/tolls/gas in France.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
February is busy everywhere, really, including Austria. Many places will be booked already. At this stage it's a case of grabbing something available. I have regularly driven to the Alps for many years, but would quail at the thought of a half term journey, with delays possible (even probable) at every stage, including the channel ports. If I were thinking of a family holiday, at this stage, I'd be tempted to cross my fingers and hope for a last minute bargain with a tour operator!

I drive to Austria every half term, the only delays really are at the tunnel and around Munich. Once you’re over the border into Austria, there isn’t a problem. We get a flexi tunnel ticket for the outward journey, so it’s not too bad.
The vast majority of visitors to Austria are the Germans, UK half term is pretty insignificant.
This year, for your dates, only Saxony, not the richest or most populous region is on holiday. The Some of the Dutch will be there though and some resorts attract a lot of them!
It won’t be that busy.
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=133261
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy