Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The White Haus and other 'apres ski' venues in London - anyone been?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
There seems to be a few more 'aprés ski'-type venues appearing in London every winter.
I think most of them are effectively pop-ups - conventional bars from May to October but given an Alpine lodge makeover for the winter months.
A recent addition is a place called the White Haus.
Seems to be run by (or at least affiliated to) the Ski Club of GB (hence the name, presumably).
www.thewhitehaus.co.uk/ Guessing this one might be a year-round place rather than winter only.
Anyone been to this or other aprés ski themed bars in the capital?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
there's also this crazy place

http://www.tirolerhut.co.uk/home.html
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Neil Neige, Yes, I have 'done' The White Haus last week and apparently I'm in there again next week. Haven't eaten there but I think it's a really nice effort in regards decor and ambience and I thought the staff were super nice and friendly. The upstairs lounge would be the best area but it was roasting hot, like a sauna in fact (kept my clothes on). The beer '1936' is v nice and helped a bit with core temperature reduction. But, unless you knew the backstory, you'd have no clue that the SCGB are anything to do with it - bit of a missed opportunity. Some of the ski displays are a bit naff with 'old' Salomon skis etc. But generally I'm saying 8.5 out of 10.

On the Southbank there is an outdoor pop up ski bar with dining pods right by the river. I only wandered by but people seemed to be enjoying themselves.

I'm on a bit of a crawl tonight and I'm hoping we sample https://www.montaguehotel.com/ski-and-surf/the-ski-lodge
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Was back at the White Haus last Thursday night for a few beers. By the time I got there it was very busy. They will reserve tables so might be advisable to make sure of a seat. Upstairs was quieter so easy to talk. Downstairs was dining only and definitely needed a reservation that night.

As to service, decor and ambiance I would agree with the above. Havent eaten there but the food looked and smelled good, and not too unreasonably priced.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rwilson wrote:
there's also this crazy place

http://www.tirolerhut.co.uk/home.html

When we lived in Notting Hill, this was my adopted ‘local’. London’s best Hungarian-owned, Austrian-themed cellar bar and restaurant. They changed the Dortmunder bier a couple of years ago, which was a shame. The new stuff isn’t too bad, especially with a slivovitz chaser.

I’m thirsty.

LS
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the replies - sounds like The White Haus is well worth a visit.
The only Alpine-themed place I've been to in London is the St Moritz Swiss restaurant in Soho which I really enjoyed.
www.stmoritz-restaurant.co.uk/stmoritz.htm
Looks like there's an Austrian restaurant in Marylebone, too.
www.fischers.co.uk/
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A few others here

https://www.timeout.com/london/bars-and-pubs/ski-lodge-bars-in-london

You could do quite a crawl.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Been to The White Haus a couple of times - always busy with excellent service and reasonably priced food - fondue was delicious.
Good location and really hope it proves to be a success with skiers and non-skiers. The memorabilia from The Ski Club of Great Britain dating back to its foundation in 1903 is very interesting.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skilegs wrote:
Been to The White Haus a couple of times - always busy with excellent service and reasonably priced food - fondue was delicious.
Good location and really hope it proves to be a success with skiers and non-skiers. The memorabilia from The Ski Club of Great Britain dating back to its foundation in 1903 is very interesting.

I’ve just looked at the menu and I agree, surprisingly reasonable prices, in fact very reasonable for London.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
hammerite wrote:

I’ve just looked at the menu and I agree, surprisingly reasonable prices, in fact very reasonable for London.

I agree it's far from extortionate, but why do so many aspirational London restaurants state the prices in £ only with no pence, unlike just about every other food outlet in the country?

Is it to save ink or to make the prices seem smaller, as if a £10.95 sandwich looks cheaper labelled with a simple '11'?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@luigi, I’ve seen this in restaurants all over, not just London. Usually no £ sign used either. It’s quite annoying!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hammerite wrote:
@luigi, I’ve seen this in restaurants all over, not just London. Usually no £ sign used either. It’s quite annoying!

That was showed the cocksuredness of London restaurants that assumed NoBrexit and so wouldn't have to reprint their menus when we were forced to adopted the Euro. Also why you find many menus in London are in French!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
luigi wrote:
Is it to save ink or to make the prices seem smaller, as if a £10.95 sandwich looks cheaper labelled with a simple '11'?

Psychologically it actually makes the price seem bigger - the whole £9.99 vs £10 thing it because your brain's instant reaction is to think "It's just £9." in the first case.

What it does is save a lot of wasted time and effort on everyone's part messing around with pointless change. List everything to the nearest pound or half pound and as a business you only need to mess around with bags of 50p/£1/£2 coins, and as a customer you don't empty pockets full of 1p/2p/5p coins in to an ever-growing pile till you can either bag them or lug them to a bank with a cash deposit machine (or throw 10% of it down the drain using the cash exchange machine in a supermarket).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy