Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Slovenia February half term

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,
We are thinking of trying Slovenia for a Feb half term trip - two adults (advanced ski and intermediate board), two children (second trip) - could anybody offer any experienced advice on travel, resorts, operators, ski schools, general tips please?

Thanks in advance.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This might be of use in comparing ski areas:

https://www.bergfex.com/slovenia/

Slovenia has quite a few areas but all are limited in extent.

The top 5 areas only have 20-40km.

Costs are a bit lower than other Alpine countries.

The Julian Alps are beautiful with scenery similar to the Dolomites across the border in Italy.

I've only visited in Summer, so hopefully others can help with specific recommendations about the winter offering.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good overview here

https://www.skimag.com/ski-resort-life/europe/guide-to-skiing-slovenia
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I did a bit of a nostalgia trip to Slovenia in Feb 20 because I learnt to ski their in the 80's when it was very popular with UK tour operators. I drove there from France and booked airbnb's / booking.com. Was not really busy at all. I only skied Kranjska Gora for various reasons. Great place but totally different experience to a mega french / austrian resort with slopes basically right on edge of town, beautiful scenery. The Bohinj area used to be good and again beautiful scenery but not been there since the 80's. I have never skied the Kanin _SellaNevea area that straddles the Italian border. I was going to go in 2020 but it was closed for a couple of days due to high wind. I think there was lots of good info on the resort websites and english is widely spoken.
Sorry there is not a great depth of information there but my trip in 2020 was during UK / French half term, just before covid rose it's head......
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all, much appreciated, I'll do some more research.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@apeman241, I've never been skiing in Slovenia but this summer I visited Slovenia for the first time on a motoring trip, and I went to Mt. Vogel next to Lake Bohinj. It seemed to be quite a reasonably sized ski area from what I could tell. Here's the piste map: https://piste-maps.co.uk/slovenia/vogel
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would love to visit Slovenia in winter, have been to Lubljana on business a few times in spring / summer, snuck away to the Julian Alps and lakes (Bled and Bohinj). One of these days!

It's funny how few western Europeans seem to have been there given Slovenia's "hidden gem" reputation, which has been out there for a couple of decades.

Slovenians are quite friendly, speak perfect English in tourist areas and are justifiably proud of their country. Can't say the food is comparable to Italy, however...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pasigal wrote:
Can't say the food is comparable to Italy, however...

It's more solid Central European style Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Here's my Slovenia trip report from spring 2014 @apeman241. I don't know why the first two pics have disappeared - but you'll get the gist Smile

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2500578&highlight=krvavec#2500578
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
luigi wrote:

The top 5 areas only have 20-40km.

This will be why most Brits don’t choose to go there for their one week a year.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Warning.

Bovec-Kanin cable car, by far the largest and highest ski area in Slovenia, is closed and will not open anymore.

We went there last summer, I saw the technical state, and fully understand why.

You can better go to Montenegro or Kolasin.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Onnem, That's sad, that will not be good for the town of Bovec.
What was the problem with it ?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@skitow

This was one of the longest cablecars in Europe. Must be about 5 km long, from 500 to 2200 elevation.
Also a VERY old one with happy-colored small eggs.

About 6 years ago the cable car was closed because of an accident.
https://english.sta.si/1846805/two-cable-cars-plunge-to-ground-at-kanin

After Covid, with lot of effort they -just- passed the certification and could re-open again.
Now they have failed -again- safety check.
https://sloveniatimes.com/39937/kanin-cable-car-not-to-run-this-winter

This summer I went camping with my family in Bovec - can only recommend it, beautiful areas.
We also went ziplining - apparently the largest zipline in Europe. This zipline tour ends, at one of the intermediate stations. So we could admire the technical state of the cable car. It is falling to pieces, litterally.

I feel sorry for the very nice people of Bovec. The investment required to re-open the cable-car is too large.
It is unsafe. And it is also very outdated. So even getting it safe again, they would need to replace it anyhow. That is VERY expensive because of the extreme length of the trajectory. And when you get up on the mountain, the ski area itself is quite small.

Our local mountainbike tour guide, told me she would go skiing in winter. But goes to Austria.

Zipline Shocked

http://youtube.com/v/pV1MjjFyJV4?si=i2Q4xnqDHeKtPFVR
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Onnem, Very interesting, thank you for posting that.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank you all.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy