Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort recommendation for Austria in January

Poster: A snowHead
Hey snowheads,

Planning a ski trip to Austria next winter from January 26th to February 1st (Friday to Thursday). I know it's not the conventional week booking, but we're coming from Brazil on a Eurotrip with fixed dates. Traveling from Munich.

I've browsed through several forum posts here and noticed the friendly and helpful community. Hoping you can assist me in finding an ideal resort.

Our group: me (advanced-intermediate), and two friends (beginners) sticking mostly to blues and reds. I aim for blacks and ungroomed terrain but will spend fair amount of time on easier terrain with them.

We tried to identify the main needs for the trip. I understand that it might not be possible to fulfill all of them, but I wanted to get as close as possible.

- Good amount of blues
- Mountain après party option (like Folie Douce, our main goal is not to party, but having at least one experience of a mountain party would be perfect for us)
- No need for nightlife, prefer low ski lift lines
- Minimum amount of bus or train to get to the lift, if posible, would like to do everything on foot
- Prefer train transport from Munich, don't want to rent a car
- Some blacks
- Option for ungroomed terrain or off-piste experience close to pistes (I love the American double black experience, but I lack avalanche training and can't afford a guide to venture completely off-piste)
- Fairly large resort, for exploration (not mandatory)
- "Budget" accommodation (200-250 EUR/night)

Research led me to 3 resorts so far:

Zillertal area
Zell am See (Skicircus)
Bad Gastein

Am I missing something? Is there a better village in the Zillertal area or Gastein that aligns with the needs I've outlined?

Thanks in advance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Saalbach ticks most of your boxes very well (but would probably be train + bus transfer), or Flachau(winkl?) - only skied one day there last season but the avi controlled ‘freeride zone’ thingy is lots of fun and would be ideal for you.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@clarky999, not Flachauwinkl if apres on the mountain is important...its all at Flachau
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
When you say Zillertal Arena are you thinking of staying in Zell Am Ziller? We've used the train from Innsbruck and Munich both really straightforward the valley has a decent train connection from Munich changing at Jenbach to the local line which heads on to Mayrhofen and stopping at various resorts along the way.

We've previously based ourselves in Mayrhofen, which has a bit going on apres wise and is more central if you fancy a day out at Hintertux as well as Zell, Gerlos in the Arena and say Kaltenbach, which are all covered on the Zillertal Superski pass.

I'm not proficient in off piste, but I think that there's enough terrain to keep you and your group occupied.

Have a great trip wherever you choose.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
not an expert but i think in the whole zillertal the best place for a little bid off piste is Hochfügen.
So you could book something in Kaltenbach, then go with the gondel up, and from the skiing until Hochfügen for some off piste and then back again...

https://www.zillertal.at/freeriden.html
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ski Circus (Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang-Fieberbrunn- Zell am See) fits the bill perfectly, but stay in Saalbach or Hinterglemm rather than Zell am See as you'll be more central to the area, and the lifts are within easy walking distance (5-10 mins) of the hotels.

Take the train from Munich to Zell am See, then a short bus ride or taxi up the valley to Saalbach-Hinterglemm. Buses and taxis are all available directly outside Zell am See station.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Saalbach ticks most of your boxes very well (but would probably be train + bus transfer), or Flachau(winkl?) - only skied one day there last season but the avi controlled ‘freeride zone’ thingy is lots of fun and would be ideal for you.

Quote:

Ski Circus (Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang-Fieberbrunn- Zell am See) fits the bill perfectly, but stay in Saalbach or Hinterglemm rather than Zell am See as you'll be more central to the area, and the lifts are within easy walking distance (5-10 mins) of the hotels.

Take the train from Munich to Zell am See, then a short bus ride or taxi up the valley to Saalbach-Hinterglemm. Buses and taxis are all available directly outside Zell am See station.

The thing with Saalbach is that I couldn't find any acommodations nearly close to the budget I had in mind (looked for it in B&B and Booking) Sad. That's why I mentioned Zell am see, so that I could still get what Saalbach has to offer.

Will definetly do some research on Flachau @holidayloverxx and @clarky999
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

When you say Zillertal Arena are you thinking of staying in Zell Am Ziller?

From what I've seen on my research, most affordable places are between Zell am Ziller and Kaltenbach. Still haven't find out which village would be better for us. Mayhofern looks good, but not a lot of places available.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

not an expert but i think in the whole zillertal the best place for a little bid off piste is Hochfügen.
So you could book something in Kaltenbach, then go with the gondel up, and from the skiing until Hochfügen for some off piste and then back again...

https://www.zillertal.at/freeriden.html

Do you know if these are avalanche controled?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@satibr, to be fair, Flachau isn't cheap but you might find something on the outskirts. What is your budget?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@satibr, I presume you are staying at least one night in Munich at the beginning & end? I ask because Munich airport itself is not ideal for train connections and maybe you would not want to be messing about straight after a long flight. From the main train station (Hauptbahnhof) the straight forward places to get to would be Zillertal (change at Jenbach onto the Zillertalbahn) and St Anton (change in Innsbruck) the station is in the centre of the village. A bit more involved would be Kitzbühel / Kirchberg (change at Wörgl), Fieberbrunn / Leogang / Saalbach - Hinterglemm (in practical terms all involve a short transfer though bus is possible but faff) again change at Wörgl. Further on the same line would be Zell am See, the Gasteintal (change at Schwarzach ) and St Johann im Pongau / Bischofshofen (for Ski Amade including Flachau).

From what you have said I would go for either the Zillertal or Saalbach Hinterglemm (or one of the linked villages). Zillertal a bit easier to get to on the train but not by much. Skiing is broadly similar. SH has an area of ski routes (ungroomed marked runs) and there are similar in the Zillertal so that would tick that particular box, plenty of easy skiing for beginners too.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
holidayloverxx wrote:
@satibr, to be fair, Flachau isn't cheap but you might find something on the outskirts. What is your budget?

About 200-250 EUR per night (including 3 people)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
munich_irish wrote:
@satibr, I presume you are staying at least one night in Munich at the beginning & end? I ask because Munich airport itself is not ideal for train connections and maybe you would not want to be messing about straight after a long flight. From the main train station (Hauptbahnhof) the straight forward places to get to would be Zillertal (change at Jenbach onto the Zillertalbahn) and St Anton (change in Innsbruck) the station is in the centre of the village. A bit more involved would be Kitzbühel / Kirchberg (change at Wörgl), Fieberbrunn / Leogang / Saalbach - Hinterglemm (in practical terms all involve a short transfer though bus is possible but faff) again change at Wörgl. Further on the same line would be Zell am See, the Gasteintal (change at Schwarzach ) and St Johann im Pongau / Bischofshofen (for Ski Amade including Flachau).

From what you have said I would go for either the Zillertal or Saalbach Hinterglemm (or one of the linked villages). Zillertal a bit easier to get to on the train but not by much. Skiing is broadly similar. SH has an area of ski routes (ungroomed marked runs) and there are similar in the Zillertal so that would tick that particular box, plenty of easy skiing for beginners too.

Great stuff, thank you for all that info. And yes, We'll be staying two nights in Munich at the beginning the going elsewere at the end.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Zillertal
Saalbach is overrated.
However, whatever you choice you may need to compromise because of your dates.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The smaller accommodation providers in Saalbach are not all on Airbnb or booking.com - try the tourist office booking service at saalbach.com
snow report
Would have thought Zell am See is as expensive as Saalbach. I like Zell but the pistes are crowded and limited.

Kitzbuhel is on a train line. Doesn’t have to be any more expensive than other Tirol resorts.
ski holidays
satibr wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

About 200-250 EUR per night (including 3 people)

Ok, there are a few on Booking.com for your dates which would be just about in your budget and ok for location
ski holidays
quinton wrote:
The smaller accommodation providers in Saalbach are not all on Airbnb or booking.com - try the tourist office booking service at saalbach.com

Good one, there are indeed a couple of different options in there, thanks!
snow conditions
buchanan101 wrote:
Would have thought Zell am See is as expensive as Saalbach. I like Zell but the pistes are crowded and limited.

Kitzbuhel is on a train line. Doesn’t have to be any more expensive than other Tirol resorts.

Yeah, it might be similar prices, but having not many places available in Saalbach makes it look like it's pricier. Also think it could be the same factor in Kitzbuhel, having a hard time to find places over there.

Quote:
Ok, there are a few on Booking.com for your dates which would be just about in your budget and ok for location

I'll take a better look into Flachau then, thanks.

----------------

I found a few places today in Zillertal that met most of the criteria (Airbnb located in Stumm and Aschau im Zillertal, close to Kaltenbach). The only compromise would be relying on the bus or train, but I guess that on my budget, walking distance to lifts might be a ship that has already sailed.
snow report
St Anton.

Pick the best.

You're flying 12,000 miles.

Don't waste it in a cr*p resort.
snow conditions
@satibr, Stumm and Aschau are both pretty quiet villages. Stumm is walkable from Kaltenbach (around 20mins) Aschau you'll need the bus or train.

Have you looked at Ramsau or Hippach? They're both a short bus ride to the Horbergbahn in the Mayrhofen ski area, and have slightly more going on.
snow conditions
Quote:

St Anton.

Pick the best.

Would love to, but the lack of available prices is a huge factor at this time of the year. Maybe on 2025 I'll organize it better then go to St Anton.

Quote:

@satibr, Stumm and Aschau are both pretty quiet villages. Stumm is walkable from Kaltenbach (around 20mins) Aschau you'll need the bus or train.

Have you looked at Ramsau or Hippach? They're both a short bus ride to the Horbergbahn in the Mayrhofen ski area, and have slightly more going on.

Yeah, but didn't find a place with 3 beds in our budget over there. Did some more research and also found a couple of places in Zell am Ziller.

For now I guess my two main options would be: Stumm or Zell am Ziller.

I understand that Zell has a lot more to offer in terms of restaurants, bars... But beeing a quiet place is not a huge problem for us.

Considering my group, looking at the ski map, Kaltenbach looks better suited (more blues, blacks, skiroutes) for us then the mains lifts connected to Zell am Ziller (mostly reds).

Is it crazy to chose Stumm over Zell?
ski holidays
@satibr, Me and my pals are off to Soll (SkiWelt) at end of Jan. Never been before but looks a good mix of pistes and ski routes. Plus an option to spend the day in Kitzbuhel. Flying to Salzburg and accommodation via Booking.com.
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
St Anton.

Pick the best.

Sums it up! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@satibr, Kaltenbach/Hochfugen is a blinding mountain and my favourite in the Zillertal valley (and they are all good!) Has a good apres bar at the bottom as well.
snow report
We found a place in kaltenbach, pretty close to the train station. That way we can either ski Hochzillertal by ski bus (or even walking), or go to other areas, like Mayhofern, pretty easily.

The main doubt right now is: where should I buy a ski boot? (Munich, Kaltenbach, Mayhofern...). I have a pretty tight schedule, so can't arrive a lot earlier on the resort, my main concern with buying is resort is: if I can't find anything, I'll have to come back to Brazil with no ski boots, and rent one again. Don't know about the boot fitters and price comparison of Zillertal vs Munich.

Maybe this is woth a separete post...

Anyway, thanks for everyone that helped me deciding where to go. Very excited for my first ski trip to Austria Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy