Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sapaudia Brewery Producing Craft Beers in the Tarentaise

Poster: A snowHead
As all lovers of the Tarentaise know Sapaudia is one of the ancient names for our region that eventually became part of the Savoie.

But now its the name of a craft brewery that has just opened up in Centron near Moutiers. I met the guys in The Box in Tignes last might. Their first beer is called Signal and in Brit terms would be a golden ale, but in French terms its a blonde. It is excellent and will be available at select bars and restaurants throughout the valley. Its available from kegs or:

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 25-01-19 16:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh, I forgot to mention that one of the guys is a snowHead, so you would be supporting the cause!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A lot of interesting history in this valley, that's for sure. Good to meet you the other evening!

For anyone who may be interested in following what we're up to, https://www.facebook.com/sapaudiabrewing.co/ is the best place to keep up to date!

Cheers
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@chocksaway, thanks for the heads up. Will keep an eye out to sample it.

@timlongs, good luck with this.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I had to google it... Sapaudia or Sabaudia was an Alpine territory of late antiquity and the Dark Ages.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sapaudia is the latin word for Savoie, the region of France we're based in (and home to Espace Killy, Paradiski, 3 valleys etc).

@rob@rar - available in BSM and hopefully a couple of bars in Les Arcs - if you want to pop into the brewery, we're down in Centron, just get in touch. Cans available direct from us!

Cheers
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@timlongs, I know you met @chocksaway, in The Box - is your beer going to be available there (or anywhere else in Tignes / Ste Foy for that matter)?

Our group are all beer drinkers, and even though there is more Peroni and less of the minging Amstel in the Tignes bars these days, after a few days of Eurofizz your beer looks excellent Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@timlongs, Tim, did you get my e mail? I've just seen how big the attachment was Embarassed
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@nelly0168, Our beer will be available in The Box all Winter yep, we're not in any other bars in Tignes yet. And we're working on Sainte Foy. If you're intersted in cans, drop me a PM and we can sort something out.

@chocksaway, Received and just replying now!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
When are you looking to crack the UK market?

Your website says it will be launched in November, might want to launch it or chsnge the message.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ster, Not looking to move to the UK - already congested and importing etc is tricky. The market here is more than big enough and we've made a big effort to get in with the local French bars as well as the Brit ran bars up in resorts.

Cheers for the heads up on the website, fixed now!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As a beer lover who will be in Europe in a few weeks time this is interesting to me.
I’m getting the feeling that the offerings in most pubs and bars is going to be the likes of Peroni or some other ‘easy drinking’ light lager style beer.
Is it possible to get something more like an ale? Something with some taste and backbone?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@sbooker, you are going to Austria aren't you. They might have some decent beer. wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes. Austria and Italy in the main.
Italy is my main concern. We’re staying in Aosta for a while. I hoping I’ll be able to hunt something down that isn’t Peroni.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
But Peroni is still better than Fosters or XXXX.

I have had Menabrea, its good but still of the lager persuasion.

Anyway it seems there might be hope

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/beer/11676185/The-best-Italian-beers-to-try-this-summer.html

Or try the wine.
ski holidays
@ster,
I'll heartily agree anything is better than Fosters but at the right place in the right time (very hot weather) XXXX Bitter (the original) is a damn good beer if served very cold. It's not something that is 'sessionable' though.

I'll be sure to try the vino of the rosso variety. I usually opt for the bigger reds like cabs or shiraz. I think the Italian wine is generally lighter bodied.

@chocksaway, Sorry about the thread hijack. Good luck with your venture. The more good beer on the market the better!
latest report
As it was so barkingly cold today I popped down to see @timlongs, at the Brewery today to have a shufty to see how the alchemy happens and to try an early sample of their next beer that is at the 'design stage'.

So here's the front door:

And Tim at work tending to his flock:

We then nipped upstairs to see the test brew kit where they are refining the recipe for their IPA which will be appearing towards the end of next month as Cosmique. More and more bars are realising the potential for craft ales up here, their Blonde Signal is making an appearance in Sainte Foy tomorrow night. You can follow them on the usual channels to see where you can partake.
ski holidays
Thanks for popping down today! Happy to say the IPAs tasted even better once we kegged them up after you left, sorry you missed that!

For anyone in the area, we're pouring beers all day tomorrow from lunch at the Pitch in Sainte Foy.

Cheers, Tim
ski holidays
Fantastic - I'm a brewer and have built and exited two craft breweries so watching with interest. Very Happy
snow report
So tonight saw the launch of 2 more craft beers to join the range at Sapaudia, an IPA called Cosmique and Hellbroner - a Helles lager. So to do it in style Tim and Ash organised a "Pi$$ Up in a Brewery". A simple formula really:

1. Beer:

2. Tunes:

That's Rob, the Boss from Coolbus.co.uk on the decks (well laptop) in his mobile DJ booth

3. Pizza:

French bloke on cuisine - never a bad thing!

And a great night was had by all, the beers are also ace, keep an eye out - they will be arriving in a ski resort near you over the next week or two!
ski holidays
@sbooker, where are you coming from? It's hard to actually find a Peroni or Stella these days, craft beers abound!
snow conditions
sbooker wrote:
As a beer lover who will be in Europe in a few weeks time this is interesting to me.
I’m getting the feeling that the offerings in most pubs and bars is going to be the likes of Peroni or some other ‘easy drinking’ light lager style beer.
Is it possible to get something more like an ale? Something with some taste and backbone?

Aosta valley? Try the stuff from Microbirrificio Courmayeur Mont Blanc. Our Courmayeur hotel (Albergo dei Camosci) had it when we were last there, very nice. 4 different types of beer, all lovely

http://www.lomatson.it/en/microbirrificio-courmayeur-mont-blanc/
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@sbooker, where are you coming from? It's hard to actually find a Peroni or Stella these days, craft beers abound!

He's been and gone! From Oz.
ski holidays
Layne wrote:
under a new name wrote:

He's been and gone! From Oz.

Sadly been and gone.
snow report
Eyup, Tim. <<waves>>
Somehow managed to avoid the pair of you a few weeks back. Shame, as I'd have like to have tried the beer!

I presume you're being a camp erection* manager on the TP again this summer?

*arf...
snow report
Do you work for Cotic?
ski holidays
@Jenniper - no - just been good mates with them since before they were even a one man band. I had one of the first Souls and as a result had the user name attached to me donkeys years ago by none other than the other half of Sapaudia Brewing, Ash Smith.
ski holidays
Quaffed gently on some Cosmique at the ever excellent Bighorn who were hosting a Sapaudia night.

Very nice indeed.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@CoticJon, Hey up - apologies I didn't meet up, busy time for me! I'll be at TP hopefully but a friend is getting married so won't be at the whole event... there will be beer though Wink

@under a new name, Cheers - we're very happy with Cosmique IPA - you should've said hello, I was stumbling around the bar!
snow conditions
CoticJon wrote:
@Jenniper - no - just been good mates with them since before they were even a one man band. I had one of the first Souls and as a result had the user name attached to me donkeys years ago by none other than the other half of Sapaudia Brewing, Ash Smith.

Aaaah, cool! My second ever bike was a Mk 1 Soul.
snow conditions
@timlongs, next time (I presume there will be another one!) snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
@under a new name, I hope so! Cosmique is also pouring at Delice and should be available very soon Beer oClock too.
snow report
@timlongs, is busy preparing for another season of preparing fine ales. With their equipment supplier they mounted a 24 hour non stop brewing challenge for themselves. Here's the montage of the action:

http://youtube.com/v/2Pm4jDzD_1w

Yes, those are bits of pine tree going into the mash - the ale is called Lost in the Woods, which after 3 or 4 would not be difficult to achieve!
snow conditions
The craft beer scene in Chamonix is going ok though totally saturated with IPAs with a smattering of stouts/porters and other esoteric styles. I get I'm probably not going to get actual real ale outside the UK (though I don't really see why...) but a bit of branching out from IPA would be nice, whilst retaining drinkability. I'm convinced sour beer is a collective joke being played on us all by breweries.
latest report
Quote:

I'm convinced sour beer is a collective joke being played on us all by breweries.

Whilst I, at the young age of 56, am suddenly hip, having championed Geueze for decades to the bafflement of all but my brother Smile
latest report
Gueuze is the dogs bollox.

Cantillon especially but other breweries are available!
ski holidays
Meltus wrote:
The craft beer scene in Chamonix is going ok though totally saturated with IPAs with a smattering of stouts/porters and other esoteric styles. I get I'm probably not going to get actual real ale outside the UK (though I don't really see why...) but a bit of branching out from IPA would be nice, whilst retaining drinkability. I'm convinced sour beer is a collective joke being played on us all by breweries.

^^Agree 100%. I love a good IPA, but I've noticed especially here in France that "IPA" seems to be shorthand for "microbrew."

Still, all in all, am glad to see France moving slowly away from euro-wee wee like 1664 and Pelforth. It's going to be a struggle, though, so long as good wine is dirt cheap...
latest report
Meltus wrote:

Have you tried the Overworks Sours from Brewdog, they are very, very good!
latest report
@chocksaway, great to have more choice of beers and looking forward to sampling it in Tignes next month. From a personal viewpoint, pity its not in glass bottles rather than cans. Always tastes better from bottles to me, such as the Brasserie du Mont Blanc range.
Still, more power to their brewing elbows.
snowHead
snow conditions
@sbooker, you should have no trouble finding decent beers in Austria. In Italy, Moretti on tap can often be decent quality. Not going to win any BeerFest prizes in UK but acceptable on tour. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy