Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kids ski gear

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My two 5 year old neices are heading out to the alps on their 1st holiday this year also parents 1st ski holiday. They girls have done a few blocks of lessons at a indoor and seem to enjoy it.

Question. Does it make sense to buy their own ski and boots? Forget ski carriage that doesn't matter. I was eyeing up rossignol skis at £110 new for a xmas present and would possibly get 3 seasons (2 years) so at least 3 holidays but could be up to 6 and a odd day in Scotland. Boots could be another story maybe 1 year two seasons before out growing. Then probably easily sold when finished?

Or forget owning and hire?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do you have your own gear?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bit of a short response from me there. ..

Only reason I ask, is if you have your own gear, it's one less thing you have to do going and getting their kit

My little one has always had his own gear and gets approx 2 years out of skis and boots tops.

It's worth it for me as I wait for the sales and pick up his skis at circa 8
80 and boots at 40. When I sell on ebay I get about half that so for 60 for 2 years use isn't bad at all. He skis in snowdomes most weeks too so well worth it.

No idea what hire prices are like but I suspect itll be worth buying
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Might be worth asking your local ski shop whether they do some sort of buy back scheme on kids boots. Some do.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@WASHOUT, ours have always had their own stuff but you have to enjoy the regular buying and selling. We've done a mixture of buying second hand and new. I also service all the kit myself. It's definitely been worth it financially. And I quite enjoy trying to find stuff.

In my recent selling of skis I have found Facebook Market Place to work well.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Be aware that if you buy skis "to last" up to 3 seasons they could well be too big now - and it really hampers little beginner kids who are starting to ski to have skis higher than chest height. Maybe buy them some pretty helmets instead? Or other ski wear. And several pairs of good mittens (one pair is never enough).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My attempt to get two seasons out of a pair of boots for eldest failed miserably. We bought in april this year, I have just bought her a pair two mondo size points bigger as over the summer her feet grew that much!

However she is now 12 and until then her feet had been growing very slowly, so maybe I wait too long?

Also given Ellie’s feet are now as long as mine I expect those boots to last her until she is an adult and ready for adult boots.

Her skis that we also bought in April will be fine this season but sure They won’t the season after. However I have just replaced my 154’s which are a beginner ski so nice and soft, with a pair of 160’s, so I am sure they will suit her next year (she was 152cm tall last time I measured her and apparently half the year behind her at school are taller than her so she is due a height growth spurt).

If you are happy servicing your own gear and happy with the baggage side, look for good deals (Snowtrax had children’s ski boots at around £60 in Black Friday sale and we can try them in there as it is close), look around for good second hand buys where sometimes it has only seen a couple of weeks on snow before being outgrown, go for it.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Get Roces or Full Tilt adjustable boots, they will then last 3 years as their feet grow.
I wouldn’t bother with skis, unless you are going to change them every season, as they will need a different length every year as they grow and improve.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PaulC1984 wrote:
Do you have your own gear?

Good question, because if you don’t then you have the hassle of going to the ski hire shop anyway and may as well get everyone’s.

My son needed new boots each season, but as mentioned above our local ski shop sells and buys back second hand boots so they maybe cost us £30 net. I bought him new skis each year at the end of the season (for the next season) and selling the old pair it costs me maybe £50 net. We ski 3 weeks and some weekends, so having our own stuff is definately worth it.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@doddsie, +1. Age 3-5 mine used the roces boots for a couple of seasons each with huge success. Thereafter Lange boots (we have every size from 17-26 now!) bought for about £50 from ekosport.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@snowdave, another big plus for thr Roces boots, my 11 year old still uses them
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy