Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gran Fondo Stelvio - bring the skis?

Poster: A snowHead
@Ozboy, do you know if, as is written in the race rules, they genuinely won’t let you in the starting grid if not wearing the official race jersey?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@BobinCH, I wasnt aware of this and everyone wore their own jerseys. As this is in Italy it will be chaos at the start line and impossible to enforce. You might want to add it to you bag-drop bag just in case to which you should also include warm gloves and a jacket for collection at the top of Stelvio before descending again.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This was Valloire N facing side of the Galibier on the 24th May.

However, they can open the road up without clearing all this as there is a tunnel 100m lower down at 2,540m and they tend not to open the top section up to cars until there is no longer any risks of slides from above, but it's great if you're on a bike Cool

@BobinCH, and like getting ready for a marathon etc take a good bin bag that you can put on at the start whilst hanging around.

Do you use a top tube bag for provisions, just that they can be useful on big rides likes this?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stelvio closed Confused

https://www.granfondostelviosantini.com/courses-news/?lang=en&utm_source=GFSS19+GLOBAL&utm_campaign=3af9c6231d-GFSTELVIO_NEWS&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0185c2da40-3af9c6231d-144054397&mc_cid=3af9c6231d&mc_eid=3e27e4a179
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@BobinCH, I am sorry to hear that but it was always on the cards given the amount of snow on the Gavia. It’s still going to be a great day out and hopefully you might be able to spin part way up Stelvio on one of the other days. I remember when we did it in 2015 we were riding through tall snow banks towards the top and I think that was a normal snow year. It’s ironic that under any other circumstances you would welcome this much snow.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@BobinCH, just found this video from 2015 when I rode the event with my cycling club London Dynamo which should give you a good feel for the event. The Mortirolo starts at 4:15 and goat track at 4:55. The guy filming and the skinny LD chap were fast finishes riding with 32 cassettes (sub 7:30 hours IIRC). Most of the guys you see walking either went out way too hard or were over-geared.

http://youtube.com/v/OOar-PDpsEs
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What a great event! But oh boy the Mortirolo was steep!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And probably lucky we had this as the final climb rather than the Stelvio!

latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BobinCH wrote:
What a great event! But oh boy the Mortirolo was steep!

Well done, post some pics!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not too many ops for pics but here’s a vid a mate took of the relief of summiting the Mortirolo!

http://youtube.com/v/DLJBvGnt9e0
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Got up the Stelvio today. Had to jump the barrier as it was still closed.

No idea why they were worried about avi danger Puzzled

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 3-06-19 21:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And then the road ran out...

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So we checked out the pistes

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Magnificent place. Loved it

snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
[quote="BobinCH"]Not too many ops for pics but here’s a vid a mate took of the relief of summiting the Mortirolo!]

Looked easy if we go by the smile of your face! How did you get on in the event and what were the ups and downs? Weather looked good.
snow report
@Ozboy, haha happy pain! Weather was glorious. A bit chilly for the early start but quickly warmed up as we descended down the valley and the sun came out. As @davidof anticipated we couldn’t resist bombing it out the gates and so had to rein it in on the Teglio which was tougher than expected. Lovely descent into the valley and then the roll of death! I rode the whole Mortirolo in the granny gear and still couldn’t quite conquer the goat track. We ended up with the 90% of people walking the 200m steepest section and then got back on for the last few bends. Didn’t enjoy the descent on the brakes navigating the super tight hairpins! And the legs were crying out in pain with the 10% ramp on the first section up to Bormio. Fortunately it flattened out and got in a nice paced peloton which dragged me up to Bormio. The last climb up to Cancano lakes (very picturesque) was just a slow grind. The additional 700m of altitude to the Stelvio would have been tough! Finished in 7h30 including 1h30 up Mortirolo. Fortunately we had Monday for a leisurely recovery ride up to the snowy Stelvio with only a handful of other riders for company on the closed road. What a treat!
latest report
Might have suffered for it later but not sure I’ve had a more enjoyable 30 mins riding than the first 25km out the start gate!

latest report
Next generation ready to take up the mantle...

snow report
Who knew the Italians followed rules......

Officially disqualified twice over:
1) not wearing official jersey
2) not wearing helmet on climbs
latest report
@BobinCH, your joking!? I thought the Cow print would have been a hit with the cycling police. I assume most got DQ’d!
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/kdrIeJUgYZs
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:
Who knew the Italians followed rules......

they are not really Italians though, more volksdeutsche
ski holidays
Ozboy wrote:
@BobinCH, your joking!? I thought the Cow print would have been a hit with the cycling police. I assume most got DQ’d!

Not that many DQ’s so I guess most people wore the jersey. Personally I think it’s daft to wear an ill fitting top for the first time for a 7 hour ride but hey ho...
ski holidays
davidof wrote:

Nice vid! There was a huge amount of snow at the top!
latest report
Roberto in Svizzera, Schweiz, Suisse...., whatever..............

Take skis to the Fondo Mondo.........? O.K., fine, just so you can say so. But, above all, take this!

http://youtube.com/v/_kuYB-8fjok
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
davidof wrote:

Nice vid! There was a huge amount of snow at the top!

the tshirt dq is petty
the helmet is fair enough as these fondos are run under race rules which require a helmet.
if you helmet is too hot get a catlike whisper helmet, you won't even know you are wearing it.

well done for completing the course.
latest report
@davidof, thanks! Just bought a Kask Protone half price on Sports Pursuit...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy