Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BA Ski carriage

Poster: A snowHead
I'm finally thinking about getting organised for the PSB, and BA's baggage policy seems odd.

Firstly:

A checked bag can be up to 90 x 75 x 43cm (35.5 x 29.5 x 16in), including any bits that stick out, like the handle, pockets and wheels.

Then:

You can take larger items of up to 190 x 75 x 65cm (75 x 29.5 x 25.5in) as long as they weigh no more than your permitted baggage weight allowance. If the bag weighs more than your allowance, you will be charged extra at the airport. No bag can weigh more than 32kg.

It seems clear enough, but why state the first dimensions if they are not the limit!

Anyway, just to check as I haven't flown with skis on BA for a while - can I bring my ski bag as my only checked bag without paying extra?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes - just done it.
No problem as long as it's within the weight limit of 23kg.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ray Zorro wrote:
Yes - just done it.
No problem as long as it's within the weight limit of 23kg.
+1 I've done it counties times.

Edit: 'countless' even

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 29-11-18 14:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do it every year. Not a problem
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great, thanks everyone. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'll be travelling to the PSB on BA with a 'coffin' type ski bag as well.

The answer toTom Doc's question seems to be that you can exceed the size limits for a checked bag only if it contains sporting equipment or a musical instrument (when the bigger size limit applies) Bit bizarre but that's how I interpret the rules.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Surely your baggage allowance will depend on whether you are travelling business or economy class.

The original posting states a weight allowance of 32 kg while the replies refer to only 23 kg.

I've been told by my tour operator that I can only take up to 23 kg and ski carriage will be £75. I assume I will be travelling economy.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@welshflyer, if you are flying BA as a direct customer then your single hold bag can be a large ski bag as long as it doesnt exceed 190cm

Not sure if there is a difference if you end up on BA charter flights as I have done in the past (that was before getting my own skis)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
welshflyer wrote:

The original posting states a weight allowance of 32 kg while the replies refer to only 23 kg.

That's not quite correct.
BA are saying that additional weight over your allowance will be chargable but that there is a maximum limit on bag weight of 32kg - this would be for baggage handling purposes and is not related to allowances.
For the OP travelling to GVA, then his allowance will almost certainly be the 23kg Euro Traveller allowance.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ray Zorro wrote:
welshflyer wrote:

That's not quite correct.
BA are saying that additional weight over your allowance will be chargable but that there is a maximum limit on bag weight of 32kg - this would be for baggage handling purposes and is not related to allowances.
For the OP travelling to GVA, then his allowance will almost certainly be the 23kg Euro Traveller allowance.

Yep, 23kg is the free allowance, you can pay for more up to a max of 32kg. Elf 'n safety, innit?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I too carry all my gear except boots in a large ski bag and use BA to transport it. I then put the ski boots in a backpack.
On a side note I travel up to Heathrow on the underground and last year someone asked what was in the large bag. My mate who also does the same and was with me said, "Our wives, it saves us buying an Oyster card for them". Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you're taking sporting equipment and a suitcase with BA, it's worth checking the business class fare. You can take sports equipment as part of your free baggage allowance in business class.

I've saved a fair bit of cash on my last two cycling trips (obviously with a bike box) that way. It seems odd that economy plus the baggage surcharge should be more expensive than business, but it is often the case.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

You can take sports equipment as part of your free baggage allowance in business class

same as in pleb class but only 1x23 rather than 2x32kg
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
23kg is the free allowance, you can pay for more up to a max of 32kg. Elf 'n safety, innit?

Can you with BA? I thought you could only buy extra bags?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Tubaski, if your allowance is 23kg and your bag weighs 25kg then you will have to pay for the excess 2kg.
snow conditions
@Ray Zorro, I meant there doesn't seem to be any way to buy (or see the price) of an extra couple of kilos on BAs website. Just the price of an extra bag.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy