Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets - good thing?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi fellow Snowheads
I write articles about skiing now and again and have been asked to write something following last week's release of results from Norway that show helmets reduce head injuries by 60 per cent. Anyone out there willing to share their experiences of ski/board helmets with me?
I don't wear one myself but feel I probably should. The new ones seem pretty lightweight and airy but they look as though they wouldn't do much to protect your bonce in a fast collision.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
markf, Suggest you use the search facility under user facilities you will find some long and at times heated discussion on helmet!

like this Helmets
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
markf, Sorry forgot to say welcome to Snowheads snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I dont believe it. Just a few days ago we had a thread on this particular topic that ran over 5 pages and 189 responses. Mad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PP, Just goes to show, that you can't keep a good topic down Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Went skiing last year at Kreischberg. One of my colleagues crashed at high speed, he hit a couple of trees and was airlifted to Klagenfurt. He ended up with a broken arm, a couple of broken ribs, fractured shoulder socket and a large scar on his face. He was shown his helmet, which had a large crack in it and was told if he didn't have it on he would have been killed.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Are one of you regular suspects taking the wee wee? Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PP,
Quote:

Are one of you regular suspects taking the wee wee?

Moi ...Certainly not Little Angel
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'll only join in if Kramer will wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PG, Kramer, rob, Mr Brown own up. I know its one of u.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PP, Who is one of
Quote:

PG, Kramer, rob, Mr Brown own up. I know its one of u.

?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PP, not guilty, I have one ID only on this forum! Makes life a lot simpler.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
HA! HA! HA! Laughing Laughing Laughing
I started laughing as soon as I saw the thread title on the homepage!

Comic Timing...

Genius!

OK ~ so who has registered themselves as markf?

And if you really are markf, and are now entirely confused and think you've entered the Nut House - rest assured, you have! (Although I don't believe you...)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
markf, Welcome to snowHeads, good to see you have made your first post since joining in November last year.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not guilty either. I bet its admin that Twisted Evil
latest report
markf, no offence intended. This thread is the main reason for the cryptic comments.

Welcome.
snow conditions
PG, You are WAY to serious, all the time - this has GOT to be a wind up after your spectacular spat the other night ~ a better display of TFWW I have not seen in a long time!

TFWW = Testosterone-Fuelled Willy-Waving

Although I will say, by way of olive branch, that it made very interesting reading on both sides of the argument and was v thought provoking. And although Kramer nearly used them all up last night, I'll just say wink
latest report
SkiBod, Very Happy - it IS a serious concern of mine, particularly as I have one kid who is about to spend Friday through Monday racing Super G GS and Slalom around France at great speed. Anything that can reduce the risk level, even by a fraction, I'm all in favour of. But the facts are conflicting and certainly need better explaining to the skiing public! But perhaps best not attempted by snowHeads wink
ski holidays
Quote:

TFWW = Testosterone-Fuelled Willy-Waving

Brilliant Laughing Laughing Laughing
Quote:

Anything that can reduce the risk level, even by a fraction,

PG, I agree
snow conditions
Another helmet thread Shocked

It must be "Tin Hat" time Twisted Evil
ski holidays
A tin hat wouldnt go with your dress Marc Laughing NehNeh
ski holidays
marc gledhill wrote:
Another helmet thread Shocked

It must be "Tin Hat" time Twisted Evil

Time to put on a tin hat then Puzzled
latest report
Not being one that likes to court controversy, obviously, but apparently the British Cycle Fed (or whatever they are called) think people should wear a helmet cycling but that it should not be legislated for because that would make a lot of people just say, "Can't be bothered to wear a helmet, won't bother to cycle" and the overall health of the nation would go down if you take the overall plus health points of cycling -v- the overall negative health points of hitting your head on the pavement if you fall off.

Not prepared to put my money where my mouth is on this one, as the info is 2nd hand, but it does come from quite a reliable source who normally knows what he's on about.

Personally, I feel totally naked cycling without a helmet and have even gone home after half a mile on the one occasion I forgot to put it on, and suddenly realised that was why I felt so strange; but ski around quite happily without one...

I do remember also that a very good friend of mine at Uni was knocked off his bike by a car that cut him up on the bypass - he hit his helmetted head on the curb and was v shaken but luckily OK - his helmet was a write-off; massive dent in the back of it; and if that had been his head I am really not sure he would be here today. Lost touch with him now, which is v sad as he was a good laugh. Funny how that happens isn't it? People who you were so close to and lived on the same corridor at Uni and then you never see them again.

Anyway, entirely off topic, probably the vino... not lots of vino, but enough to make me chunter on in lots of various directions (it really doesn't take much vino, I am quite happy to chunter with no help whatsoever, as I am sure you have realised by now)
ski holidays
SkiBod, this is exactly the sort of behaviour that results in 5 page threads. Quit while you're ahead.
ski holidays
PP, Laughing Laughing

SkiBody That is sound advice wink
latest report
PP, Is that the Kramer -v-PG, thread or the (a bit more drunken but much more fun) Ray Zorro-v-SkiBod, (with a bit of help from Incogskisno) thread?! wink
snow conditions
SkiBod wrote:

Personally, I feel totally naked cycling without a helmet and have even gone home after half a mile on the one occasion I forgot to put it on, and suddenly realised that was why I felt so strange;

LAUGHING SO HARD I'VE FALLEN OFF ME CHAIR Laughing Laughing Laughing

...it could only be skibod Laughing
snow report
PP
Quote:

Are one of you regular suspects taking the wee wee?

No, genuine new blood.

Sorry for bringing this up again - I have only now read the previous helmets thread. Having read the abstract of this paper in JAMA (sorry can't help you with full access on it either), I see that head injuries accounted for 18 per cent of the 3,277 injured skiers and snowboarders covered by the research. That seems way too high from my own experiences of people hurting themselves on the slopes. Also the talk at Soltex last week was that Austria was soon going to make it compulsory for kids to wear helmets too. The beginning of the end?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OOOOPS!!
snow report
A sock puppet is an additional OnlineIdentity used by someone who already has another OnlineIdentity for participating in a given community, particularly when done in a non-transparent manner and where the identities interact with each other in some way. The term originates with the metaphor of carrying on a conversation with oneself using a puppet in each hand.
latest report
Latchigo, Very clever. So are you markf, then?
ski holidays
SkiBod,

No. I did not even know what the term 'troll' meant until recently. 'Sock puppet' was another one I came across on 'Slugger'. I do not wish to put ideas into people's heads, but some people use sock puppets to play the man, not the ball.

Does anyone know of a term for a poster that only turns up when a flame war is in progress ?

....and what does the term 'graffiti' mean in an internet sense ?
snow report
Latchigo, CONGRATULATIONS! You have lost me on every count! kindly explain what a:

slugger is

How you 'play the man, not the ball' (that is one I'd really like to know)

"graffiti" in an internet sense
ski holidays
mmmm... and 'troll' while you're at it....
ski holidays
I've learnt more on snowHead in the past week than anywhere else...
latest report
SkiBod,

Just look in the suggestions forum....... and do try to keep up !
snow report
SkiBod wrote:
mmmm... and 'troll' while you're at it....

have a peek here - trolls
snow conditions
[quote="markf"]PP
Quote:
Sorry for bringing this up again - I have only now read the previous helmets thread. Having read the abstract of this paper in JAMA (sorry can't help you with full access on it either), I see that head injuries accounted for 18 per cent of the 3,277 injured skiers and snowboarders covered by the research. That seems way too high from my own experiences of people hurting themselves on the slopes. Also the talk at Soltex last week was that Austria was soon going to make it compulsory for kids to wear helmets too. The beginning of the end?

If anyone comes across the complete study in the public domain, I would be interested to know why FIS have gone overboard in using this particular one as a vehicle to push firmly in favour of the helmet-wearing camp....
snow report
Latchigo,
Quote:

Just look in the suggestions forum....... and do try to keep up !

Sorry, what was that you said? Keep up, my dear boy? I didn't even know we'd left.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy