Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ryanair hand baggage

Poster: A snowHead
Ryanair have changed the hand luggage rules again. From today, 1st November, you’re restricted to 40x20x25cm unless you pay for priority boarding.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46034369
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Its only the same as a lot of the other low cost airlines ...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Already a discussion here if anyone is interested Smile http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3265522&highlight=ryanair#3265522
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Less half of what Easyjet allows (56 x 45 x 25).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The trouble is Ryanairs low cost policy is so popular and load factors are that high that there is not room for everyone to carry on a stroller. This was delaying flights which prejudices the low cost model that the vast majority want.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

This was delaying flights which prejudices the low cost model that the vast majority want.

I'm not sure it's delays that prejudice the model of low-cost flying. Far more likely to prejudice it would be having to pay for priority boarding or checked baggage - i.e. it not being low-cost anymore!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Less half of what Easyjet allows (56 x 45 x 25).

Easyjet seem to cope with hand luggage of that size without much issue.
If they are at capacity, some passengers have to put luggage in the hold free of charge.
This is one of many reasons I always chose Easyjet over Ryanair.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Drammeister, that's what ryanair used to do but there was such a ridiculous amount of baggage to deal with I really understand why they have made the change. I expect EJ might go the same way
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well yes the loading of large bags into the overhead bins was an almighty faff and does take considerable time. The problem was charging people extra to put their bags in the hold instead of allowing them to go in free (which is more or less what easyjet is doing).

In my opinion the overhead lockers is for a small bag conting essential medication and stuff you need on the flight as well as your coat not for the bulk of your luggage.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@johnE, yebbut people were still bringing loads of luggage onto the plane regardless that they could put it in the hold for free. I am very happy to pay £7 to buy priority so I can take my ski boots into the cabin, and knowing that they will only sell 30% of the seats with priority means much less faff. Just need to make sure I book early. It's a huge faff on easyjet as well.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnE wrote:
... In my opinion the overhead lockers is for a small bag conting essential medication and stuff you need on the flight as well as your coat not for the bulk of your luggage.

Whilst I tend to agree with you, most people have so much stuff to carry that they can't even carry it: they have horrible wheeled cases for this purpose. And then they have another bag which is probably the one you're describing.

Me, I reckon one should pay for what one uses. I don't mind paying to get my bags carried, although I don't like the fact that you can't work out the price very easily in advance.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
philwig wrote:

Me, I reckon one should pay for what one uses. I don't mind paying to get my bags carried, although I don't like the fact that you can't work out the price very easily in advance.

This is what all these constantly changing rules about Ryanair's optional extras are about, trying to hide the real cost of flying with them and keeping the headline price down so they beat their competitors in the flight comparison websites.

If you can work it all out or travel alone & light, you're OK. But I suspect many customers are bamboozled by the low initial cost, then paying all the extras for luggage, ski carriage, priority boarding, sitting together, etc and their low-cost flight isn't so low anymore.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[quote="luigi"]
philwig wrote:

If you can work it all out or travel alone & light, you're OK. But I suspect many customers are bamboozled by the low initial cost, then paying all the extras for luggage, ski carriage, priority boarding, sitting together, etc and their low-cost flight isn't so low anymore.

But that can be better for some who dont need all the extras.
With all the add-ons the reality is, it should work out around the same as an airline who include them all.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Does anyone actually look at or believe in the headline price for any airline these days?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
holidayloverxx wrote:
Does anyone actually look at or believe in the headline price for any airline these days?

No - but do wish you didn’t have to work so hard to find out what the ACTUAL price is.
ski holidays
It'd be nice if you could tell them what you do/don't want (flight, bags, seats, etc) at the start of a search and get results based on that. Seeing as all those except the flight are fixed it can't be that hard to do.
snow report
NickyJ wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

No - but do wish you didn’t have to work so hard to find out what the ACTUAL price is.

I choose a flight that meets critieria of departure and arrival airports locations and times. Cost is rarely a serious factor. When I carried skis, being able to carry those was important, too (which ruled out some Flybe flights).
latest report
@adithorp, +1

@achilles, unfortunately I do have to consider the cost as well as the other factors. But as has been already stated there is often not a huge difference in the bottom line price.
ski holidays
NickyJ wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

But you don't really..you just plug in what you want to buy and the price is very clear as you go along
latest report
achilles wrote:
NickyJ wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

I choose a flight that meets critieria of departure and arrival airports locations and times. Cost is rarely a serious factor. When I carried skis, being able to carry those was important, too (which ruled out some Flybe flights).

This.

I guess it would be nice to search on all your criteria but it's really not hard to go through the process
latest report
@holidayloverxx, Exactly and in the last half year 420,000 folks a day flew Ryanair.
snow conditions
holidayloverxx wrote:
NickyJ wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

But you don't really..you just plug in what you want to buy and the price is very clear as you go along

You have to go through several steps.

When you are doing this on quite a number of different airlines it does become quite tedious and time consuming.

Probably more an issue for us as we travel peak times, so we are always struggling to find an affordable option, and often there can be several routes that are doable to try and find something affordable so you are adding in all the extras every time, when I was considering any London airport out + Southampton + Bristol + Birmingham and then had two airports I was considering flying to.
ski holidays
@NickyJ, i think for me it's easier...it usually takes me 15 mins to find flights I want to book. I start wirh kayak or sky scanner for airports and times then go direct to the one or two airlines that deliver what I want. My next trip is 2 different airports and 2 different airlines do I booked through opodo...but then I had to go onto Ryanair to book priority for the outbound

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 2-11-18 16:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:

No. But it's not about the absolute cost, it's about comparison, for me at least.

We need some more EU law to force them to price things in a way which actually allows you to work out which is cheaper, because without that competition doesn't work correctly.
snow conditions
Quote:

I just booked two return flights with easyjet for my wife and me from Luton to Geneva. We are only going for the weekend so only planned to take hand luggage (It is very straightforward to get airside in Geneva with only hand luggage, but can take a very long time if you have to check anything in. Just enter from France). The price was less than £75, which was exactly what the headline price was. The only trouble was keep saying no to checked baggage, seat reservations, travel insurance, car hire, hotel bookings etc. What did the advert say "just say NO"

Easyjet appear to have a policy of seating people who book in the same party together as opposed to the RyanAir policy of splitting them up over the aircraft. The RyanAir policy caused a bit of difficulty last winter. Since you cannot checkin with RyanAir until shortly before departure my wife did it on her mobile phone while in Krackow. It all went well until we came to get on the flight. Of course they had her entering through the back door and me the front. She had the boarding card on her phone. I was kept waiting at the front of the plane until everyone had boarded and they could summon her to show my boarding card on her phone. Without doubt RyanAir is not an easy airline to fly with. Every other airline seams to do it better.

@holidayloverxx, I agree with your policy of having a matrix of possible departure airports and arival airports then using Opodo to search all possible flights. That way I found convenient flights to the Dolomites this summer from Birmingham to Venice with Lufthansa.
ski holidays
If flying outbound to an obscure small airport I am not bothered if baggage goes in the hold, because it usually gets on the carousel before I am through immigration. Whereas return flights to a large UK airport can sometimes mean a delay of a few hours. So I could envisage paying £8 for checked baggage on the outward flight (avoiding carrying baggage through a large UK airport) and £6 for priority boarding on the return flight.

My major gripe (about all the low cost airlines) is that they rarely actually enforce whatever their current baggage policies are!

I wonder if this will work out as they hope. If say no-one pays for priority boarding, and 180 turn up with baggage at the gate, are they really going to insist that they all pay £25 to have it put in the hold, and leave the overhead lockers empty? (While ensuring no-one leaves a passport in their bag). That won't help meet their turnaround target, even if they collect £4500.
latest report
She had the boarding card on her phone. I was kept waiting at the front of the plane until everyone had boarded and they could summon her to show my boarding card on her phone.

When flying easyjet, I screen shot the boarding card and whattsapp it to my wife, that way she has hers on her own phone.
snow report
@johnE, I wouldn't dream of not carrying my own boarding card... that way I can lose it like I did on the way to an EoSB between entering security and leaving it Embarassed
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
John E, why not download the app yourself, and log in with the same log in? we both have the app on our phones, and we use the same log in and password, we fly as a family of four and have never had a problem.
snow conditions
We purchased the ryanair tickets in September to Milan Bergamo, beginning of December, for one week skiing the the Aosta valley, the prices were cheap, like 50 return.
They included our cabin 10kg bags for free.

The jaw dropped, when Ive checked the prices for 20kg check-in bag for £80 return, and £90 for a 20kg ski bag. Its been long time ago Iv been flying with ryanair before and dont remember prises so high.
Now the return fligh in low season for two, is about £400, now sure how this is lowcost still, as these prices are comparable to pretty much anything in low season.
ski holidays
@ed48, if you didn't buy priority when you booked you won't get your 10kg cabin bags for free under the new policy
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
there is not room for everyone to carry on a stroller.

First time I've heard a suitcase called one of those. You live and you learn.
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@ed48, if you didn't buy priority when you booked you won't get your 10kg cabin bags for free under the new policy

Unless you booked before 1st Nov, also It will be ckeckin bag.
ski holidays
@ed48, I understood that even if you had booked before 1st November, unless you had priority the new policy applied to flights after 1st november - you might want to check if you want to take it into the cabin. I don't know what you mean by "also it will be check in bag" - or do you mean that if you hadn't booked priority you will have to book it as a checked in bag - if so then yes but you will have to pay to check it in
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
@ed48, I understood that even if you had booked before 1st November, unless you had priority the new policy applied to flights after 1st november - you might want to check if you want to take it into the cabin. I don't know what you mean by "also it will be check in bag" - or do you mean that if you hadn't booked priority you will have to book it as a checked in bag - if so then yes but you will have to pay to check it in

This is what we have, we booked in September, and have not payed anything additional. They say 4x10kg included, so dont have to pay at checkin.

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/5ZF9HAMUPWnBvAqAA[/img]
latest report
Bergmeister wrote:
chocksaway wrote:
there is not room for everyone to carry on a stroller.

First time I've heard a suitcase called one of those. You live and you learn.

I've never heard a suitcase called a stroller, but I've heard a stroller called a buggy. Maybe? Very Happy
snow conditions
@ed48, i still think I am right for those wanting to take them in the cabin. You had already booked yours in the hold
snow conditions
My flight was yesterday evening and due to my car breakdown (thank goodness for my breakdown insurance with forward travel, and thanks to incredibly helpful emergency services) I got to the airport just in time (again thankfully I had fast track) and to the boarding gate just as it was opening. I arrived there very obviously out of breath, the staff at the gate were very helpful and I ended up being one of the first to board the plane. I was therefore able to put my bag just above my head at the front of the plane. However folk who boarded towards the end struggled to find lockers. One person had brought a large holdall on board which the stewardess took off him, insisting it had to go in the hold. He did not appear to be charged for it though. After take off there seemed to be a number of folk changing places to sit by friends. I have no idea if there was a long priority queue because I was instructed to sit by the gate then pretty immediately checked through the gate. I apologise to anyone for potentially queue jumping, I just did as I was told. The plane was pretty full with only a very few empty places, all up front.

I tried to cancel my car parking, but could not because I had booked through Ryanair Sad I also tried to cancel my lounge entry but could not because (when I thought of by the roadside) it was already after the reserved entry time. Ah well, at least I made my flight!
snow report
THe problem with Ryanair is lack of pilots as they near the end of the year.

I liked their business ticket (about £20 more) but gave you airport checkin, priority security and boarding. But I wouldn't trust them with my holiday. Never, Ever.

Also, they are not cheaper if you have a hold bag. Factor in that they fly from places like Oslo (but not near Oslo), Frankfurt (but not near FRA) etc etc etc and the additional cost of getting there. Typically they fly either first thing or afternoon etc when the UK airports are quieter and then factor in how much you value feeling poo-poo because of lack of sleep (I know the feeling regularly with Jetlag , currently in Shanghai) and then think.

Ryanair + Bag + up at 3am to get the bus to the airport by 4.20am to then go through security and on to a plane at 6am, with shite food and Fing scratchcards, and bloody tannoy announcements about how MOL is the second coming. I would rather pay a premium. BUt hey.... I don't have to... Flipping BA is cheaper.

LGW to VCE for the BB in feb comes in at Friday out and back on say at £87 inc a hold bag. Sat to Sat is £111.

GLA-VCE is £130

Guess what. Glasgow to VCE isn't one ticket on Ryanair. More expensive going from Edinburgh. And the website wouldn't let me get beyond choosing a seat (which I didn't) if I didn't want to pay.
snow conditions
CaravanSkier wrote:
One person had brought a large holdall on board which the stewardess took off him, insisting it had to go in the hold. He did not appear to be charged for it though. !

I've flown twice with Ryanair since the new rules and they don't seem to be enforcing the "charge for non priority bag" one yet...maybe they are phasing it in slowly
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy