Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Catered chalet, Easter, Avoriaz.

Poster: A snowHead
Morning all.

Looking ahead to Easter 2021, and have a small group (7/Cool and would like the idea of a catered chalet.

Any idea how much i should expect to pay?

Also, would there be any chance of getting a Thursday-Thursday booking? Thinking 1st April for a week

Failing the catered option, anyone give me a steer on prices for eating out for lunch and dinner, beers, wine, soft drinks etc.

Cheers.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Since Crystal stoped doing catered Chalets in Avoriaz the choice is limited, so there is not much competition.
VIP Ski is about 1900 GBP per person, but like most operators they do Saturday to Saturday.
The only person I know in Avoriaz that does Midweek-Midweek is Andy Wilson. http://www.avoriazlettings.co.uk/ , and it's cheap as chips.
If Andy doesn't have anything, there's another little network of owners who might have something, ask him if Barry or the 3 Daves can help.
(Dodgy, Dangerous or Geordie).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@WindOfChange, great reply, cheers.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
as @WindOfChange, says, Avoriaz has very limited catered Chalet options.

Other options with quick access to Avoriaz......

Prodains is a small hamet is under Avoriaz and has a ski run down into it and a high speed gondola to get you up into Avoriaz in 5 mins.

Catered options in Prodains are.....

Prodains Hotel - https://www.hotellesprodains.com/index.php/en/ (Nice welcoming French Husband and Wife team with good quality french/Savoie food).
Hotel Les Lans - https://en.morzine-avoriaz.com/hotel-restaurant/hotel-les-lans.html Real French Hotel, proper french food, Im sure the younger members of the family are starting to take the reins. Has Crystal tour company taking the hotel certain weeks.
Chilly Powder has self catered and catered options - https://www.chillypowder.com/ Mosty Brits stay here. Independanty owned and ran, good quality food and wine. Not the cheapest but may be able to do flexible dates certain weeks.
Kinkerne Hotel with Mountain Mavericks - https://mountainmavericks.com/accommodation/winter/hotel-la-kinkerne/ Thinks its ran as a B&B by 'mostly' competent Brit staf.

Self Catered Options in Prodains with Pure Morzine. - https://www.puremorzine.com/chalets/chalet-les-forclettes French/British team offering good quality self-catered accom.

Ardent is another small hamlet with great access to the Avoriaz and has ski run into Ardent hamlet
Catered Options in Ardent are with the family ski company. - https://familyski.co.uk/chalets/chalets-in-ardent/ mostly familys and think maybe stuck Sunday to Sunday

I can also recommend a catered options of themountainlodgecompany who are good value for what they provide. However those guys are in Morzine and not Avoriaz but do provide slope runs in mini buses morning and afternoon to the telecabin that would get you up to Avoriaz. - https://themountainlodgecompany.com/
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This Map shows you Ardent and Prodains and how they have good access to Avoriaz.

https://fr.calameo.com/read/0028278924c8451377cbe
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@@247snowman, Thanks very much. Quickly realising that it's likely to be self catered if we want to be in Avoriaz itself. No problem with this, just need the right kind of chalet/apartment.

2 of the party are not likely to ski much, if at all, but would like to be near the action to meet the others during the many drink/lunch/hot choc stops, so am I right to think that Avoriaz will suit their needs better than Morzine.

4 of the party will be fairly inexperienced teens, and I like the idea that it looks like they can have a fair bit of freedom without too much fear of getting lost if I'm not with them. Again, it seems that staying in Avoriaz is the better option?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SHAP wrote:
@@247snowman, Thanks very much. Quickly realising that it's likely to be self catered if we want to be in Avoriaz itself. No problem with this, just need the right kind of chalet/apartment.

2 of the party are not likely to ski much, if at all, but would like to be near the action to meet the others during the many drink/lunch/hot choc stops, so am I right to think that Avoriaz will suit their needs better than Morzine.

4 of the party will be fairly inexperienced teens, and I like the idea that it looks like they can have a fair bit of freedom without too much fear of getting lost if I'm not with them. Again, it seems that staying in Avoriaz is the better option?

It depends on what the 2 non-skiers want to do when you're out skiing? Morzine is a working town so they'll be more going on if they want to wander around during the day, whereas there is less to do in Avoriaz for non-skiers (nice swimming pool though!). It probably is easier for them to meet up for lunch though as Avoriaz is ski in/ski out so you can ski in and meet them for lunch. However, that is a little restrictive for you skiers as you won't be able to go too far if you have to make it back for lunch everyday.

Avoriaz is probably the better bet for the the inexperienced teens - lots of easy runs in out and of the resort, and as they improve they can progress to the runs in and around the lindarets bowl.

I've stayed in both Avoriaz and Morzine, and personally love Avoriaz - but that's just personal preference as I love the ski in ski out element, the stunning location on that cliff edge, and I prefer that side of PDS with the runs into Switzerland.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Handy Turnip, Cheers. I think they will pretty much hang out and people watch, and have an extended lunch (hopefully in the sun), so they don't need too much going on. Maybe a swim and a spa for a change.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@SHAP,
Look at the L'Amara with Premier Pierre Vacances for smqrt Avoriaz apartment with added facilities.

Great location for getting dropped off at start of holiday and picked up at end of holiday as Avoriaz is snow covered pedestrianised affair which involves snow cat taxi other wise.

L'Amara has its own spa/ pool etc, also lovley walking route from front door to cheese farm and close to the ski school plateau and Yeti restaurant for lunch.

Can recommend George or Mark for a few private lessons to give the teenagers some coaching at Avoriaz Alpine Ski school or some weeks they run teenage camps.

Would really help them come on a bit

https://www.avoriazalpineskischool.com/teenagers
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SHAP wrote:
@Handy Turnip, Cheers. I think they will pretty much hang out and people watch, and have an extended lunch (hopefully in the sun), so they don't need too much going on. Maybe a swim and a spa for a change.

If they're happy having a drink, people watching and generally chilling out then Avoriaz will be perfect. Plus at that time of the year the sun should (hopefully) be shining! I've spent many a happy moment chilling in the deckchairs outside the bars with a beer in hand watching the world (and the skiiers) go by.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
And if they get bored in Avoriaz there's nothing to stop them walking over to the Prodains gondola, buying a return passenger ticket, and jumping on the bus to Morzine for a "day out".

Thinking of the non-skiers people watching I'd say you ideally want to be in the bottom right corner, near the Prodains gondola. That means easy access to the line of piste-side bars/restaurants between the top of the Prodains gondola and the Stad/Lac-Intrets/Tour chairs. Also reasonable access to Aquaraz.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Mjit, Cheers, so maybe Dromonts, or similar? Funnily enough, just waiting to hear back from an enquiry for a chalet right there.

@Handy Turnip, I shall no doubt join then on the odd afternoon that I finish skiing early.

@@247snowman, have looked at the Avoriaz Apline Ski school already - seems pretty comprehensive.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
God I could kill a Changabang Mad Max burger right now Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For me the Vallee des Ardoisiers (Prodains) would be a big NO.
It doesn't get as much sun as either Avoriaz or Morzine.
It doesn't really have a heart or soul.
It's neither one thing on another.
It's not Avoriaz, ski-in ski out mountain top chic, and it's not hustle and bustle of the Zine with nightlife shops bars etc....
That's why the chalets there are fancy-dan to attract people.
Go for something ok in a great location rather than something great in an OK location.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mjit wrote:

seconded
latest report
Had a reply from my favoured chalet, but they will only do Sunday change overs, so may need to reconsider my ideal of Thursday-Thursday.

Given that it would be self catered, can you give me a steer on typical pricing for eating out, lunch and dinner.

Nothing fancy (4 teens with us), so usual burger (Changabang already mentioned), pizza, local cuisine type places.

@WindOfChange, agreed, nice places, but pretty remote and as you say, soulless.
snow report
Have you looked at Hotel Dromont, they probably would do Thursday to Thursday and whilst not a "catered chalet" you could have all your meals there and if I remember correctly they do a half board option.
ski holidays
@marcellus, Cheers. Hadn't thought to look, but just have - nice place, just a bit pricey in my view.
ski holidays
SHAP wrote:
Given that it would be self catered, can you give me a steer on typical pricing for eating out, lunch and dinner.

Nothing fancy (4 teens with us), so usual burger (Changabang already mentioned), pizza, local cuisine type places.

Avoriaz isn't too bad price wise - for a French ski resort.

Changabang is one of the best budget options, ~€15 for main + drink. Can't actually remember prices for anywhere else I've eaten in Avoriaz, as it goes in to that "I'll worry about it later" bucket.
ski holidays
The supermarkets generally have hot counters where you can pick up a beautifully cooked, steaming hot lasagne\casserole\meatballs..etc (depending on what's on the menu) - just in case you want to save a bit of money one night and eat in without having to actually cook.
ski holidays
@marcellus, Also the boulangerie in the main Village is fab for lunch and very good value.

Has indoor and outdoor seating and the food is great.
ski holidays
@Handy Turnip, useful to know, cheers.

Actually, in general, are the supermarkets well stocked and decently priced? Thinking things like snacks for the teens, maybe wine/beer for the oldies to have a few back at the accom.

Other option is to go down the hire car route and stop somewhere enroute from Geneva.... Though I'm sure it's not cost effective...
latest report
There is a decent Carrefour supermarket in Avoriaz that will serve you fine for a week.
I would not bother with a hire car in Avoriaz, Its pedestrianised and you would have to factor in paying for underground parking or outdoor parking which is a bit of a distance from the village.
If there is 7 of you go for a Private return transfer from Skiidy Gonzales, Ski-Lifts, Alp-Nav, etc etc
ski holidays
@@247snowman, pretty much as i thought. Car for 7, fuel, hassle, parking stuff, probably easier to pay for the transfer. I don't mind paying a bit of a premium (shop wise) for the location, but what i don't want is to find i can't get the basics.
snow conditions
@247snowman wrote:
@marcellus, Also the boulangerie in the main Village is fab for lunch and very good value.

Has indoor and outdoor seating and the food is great.

Massive fan of this place, Le Fournil de Cannelle. Great baguettes, cakes and the pizza is brilliant, huge and I want to say only around €12-15
ski holidays
@swskier, that'll certainly be getting a visit or 2 then. Cheers.

Any other 'don't miss' places either for lunch or dinner? Water park worth a visit? Bowling?
ski holidays
The main appeal of the bowling was that you could drink for another hour as it shut at 3am while the other pubs used to close at 2am.
There's a couple of dart boards, some baby-foot tables and video games as well as the 2 lanes. It's in one of the old Cinemas in Avoriaz (from the days of the Film Festival), the family who owned it until recently also own a whole bunch of Cinemas in the area.
The Place (owned by a couple of Danish lads) has live music for Apres is worth a visit.
Don't be fooled by the bar / resto called "Fantastic" - it really isn't.
ski holidays
Ive not done it as was always working the evenings but the organised night sledge down from Avoriaz to Prodains looked great fun.

Im guessing the teenagers would love it.

https://avoriaz.evolution2.com/en/activite/winter-activities/night-sledging/

Depending upon the Weather the fantastic cable runs in the Winter too. (Mostly a summer activity but they have started running it in the winter the last couple of years).

This is from the top of the Avoriaz sector (Top of Chaux Fleurie Chairlift) across Plaine Dranse in Chatel.

https://en.chatel.com/the-fantasticable.html
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@@247snowman, I think we'd all be up for both of those, cheers.

@WindOfChange, Thanks. Pretty sure my 3am days on a ski trip are over...
ski holidays
Mjit wrote:

Amen to that snowHead
latest report
The Fantasticable in the winter is a bit different from the summer.
In the summer there are 2 legs: first across to a hut next to the ESF Competition Piste near Cornebois. The second leg takes you back across the valley to a little bit above the resto at the top of Pierre Longue.
The landing area of the second leg is steep and prone to avalanches, so in the winter, they only run the first leg.
This makes it cheaper than in the summer.
I paid for one one my sons to do it this winter and it was about 20 or 25 euros.
Also makes for a good race, as the person on the Fantasticable will get there first, but they then have to wait for them to send down their skis / snowboard on a separate harness. So if you set off on the snow at the same time, by the time you have gone down to PD, up Chaux de Roses and halfway down again to the landing hut, you'll get there marginally before their kit arrives Smile
ski holidays
@WindOfChange, certainly sounds like a plan for 20/25 Euros. Thanks.
latest report
WindOfChange wrote:
Since Crystal stoped doing catered Chalets in Avoriaz the choice is limited, so there is not much competition.
VIP Ski is about 1900 GBP per person, but like most operators they do Saturday to Saturday.
The only person I know in Avoriaz that does Midweek-Midweek is Andy Wilson. http://www.avoriazlettings.co.uk/ , and it's cheap as chips.
If Andy doesn't have anything, there's another little network of owners who might have something, ask him if Barry or the 3 Daves can help.
(Dodgy, Dangerous or Geordie).

VIP is usually Sunday- Sunday
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy