Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Interesting new skis

Poster: A snowHead
Been skiing on and off for decades. Only really enjoyed it when I was introduced to blades which I have used for several years. It's embarassing though as hardly anyone uses them now - a bunch of youngsters approached me last year wanting to know what they were.

So looking to replace them with something easy and interesting and not something that everybody else uses; my only problem with blades was going ar@se over t@t when I hit some deeper soft snow.

Looking at 130 cm short adult skis with enough width not to sink too much in the soft stuff.

Oh and I don't want lessons!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JohnU wrote:
Been skiing on and off for decades. Only really enjoyed it when I was introduced to blades which I have used for several years. It's embarassing though as hardly anyone uses them now - a bunch of youngsters approached me last year wanting to know what they were.

So looking to replace them with something easy and interesting and not something that everybody else uses; my only problem with blades was going ar@se over t@t when I hit some deeper soft snow.

Looking at 130 cm short adult skis with enough width not to sink too much in the soft stuff.

Stick with blades and suck up the embarassment - a man on child's skis will look just as bad.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
130cm = child's skis. What is it about the correct sized skis that you don't like? Simply that everyone else has the correct size? What makes you want to be different to other skiers? Lack of ability? Anarchy?

Not sure I would describe 'going ar@se over t@t' on blades as 'skiing' but each to their own. snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can get Scott Punisher 110, 157cm on Sport Bittl for 250 euro with basic bindings.

A bit longer than 130cm, but probably wouldn't feel it given the amount of tip and tail rocker. Presumably it won't be super soft like a kids ski. Should also float OK given the width. Maybe an odd choice, and it wouldn't be mine, but would feel snowbladey and might be fun. Any short rockered freeride ski would probably fit the bill and they can often be had for cheap as people tend to want the longer lengths.

No judgements here!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JohnU wrote:

Sorry if this sounds harsh but why don't you want to have lessons from a qualified instructor then ask advice from the bunch of random weirdos on here? Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Do you enjoy skiing or just being different? Snowblades are a fairly niche bit of kit with limited versatility, I think I know where you are coming from re length, I prefer to ski one or two sizes down from what would be recommended for me, happy to lose some stability at speed in return for being nimble & not a liability in tight spots.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
How about a pair of 155 SL skis?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Want to tour on them too?

snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RAX skis ?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Or these are pretty short... And if it was good enough for Shane..!!

More info for the curious: https://altitudinalnoodles.wordpress.com/2014/01/25/gear-review-jobe-beelines-240114/
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Short snowboad?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tangowaggon wrote:
JohnU wrote:

Sorry if this sounds harsh but why don't you want to have lessons from a qualified instructor then ask advice from the bunch of random weirdos on here? Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Do you enjoy skiing or just being different? Snowblades are a fairly niche bit of kit with limited versatility, I think I know where you are coming from re length, I prefer to ski one or two sizes down from what would be recommended for me, happy to lose some stability at speed in return for being nimble & not a liability in tight spots.

I find proper long skis scarey. I started sking at age 12 with the Scouts in Scotland on skis longer than I was and boots with two sets of laces. It was years before I realised that sking was supposed to be on snow not heather and boulders and you didn't have to ski if it was raining. When I was forty a friend took me to France for skiing. It was a revelation. The following year he showed me blades and for the first time in my life I could ski without being scared. A sad tale, I know. Blush
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Long skis when you were a kid and long skis now aren't the same thing. I ski skis over 190cm with an effective edge scarcely longer than your snowblades.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@JohnU, how tall and heavy are you? I think you'd find modern skis a lot more forgiving than skiing long straight skis with leather boots and laces!

130cm skis will turn quickly, but won't give you much control at any sort of speed and will seriously suck if there is fresh snow, or cut up fresh snow, or slush, or ice, or steeps and they won't run that fast on the flats....

I'd really recommend getting something on the short side of appropriate for your height and weight and a private lesson. I think (hope) you'd be pleasantly surprised.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm about 5ft 8in and 11 stone. Age 67 unfortunately. Skis I get will have to see me into old age and infirmity. No issues with bad knees and wish to keep it so; another reason for my preference for short skis.

On my blades I ski just as fast if not faster than others in my group with normal skis, including on the flat -well almost. Never felt out of control at speed. I have used various modern skis of about 160 cm but was not happy.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@JohnU, if you are skiing faster on Blades than your group, you need a new group Smile I reckon you should be on a 160-165cm ski, when is your next trip? Could you try various skis in difference width and stiffness?

I'd really recommend a lesson as well, but try and find a recommended instructor on here, modern technique is so very different to years ago and you should find modern kit easier to ski on than blades. Blades really aren't going to help your knee assuming they have a non release binding??

Cheers,

Greg ( a young 51!)
snow report
186cm minimum.....and rockered.
ski holidays
Blades to protect knees? That’s a new one on me!
snow conditions
Blades were invented by an orthopedic surgeon who wanted plenty of spiral tib fib fractures to work on.
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
@JohnU, if you are skiing faster on Blades than your group, you need a new group Smile I reckon you should be on a 160-165cm ski, when is your next trip? Could you try various skis in difference width and stiffness?

I'd really recommend a lesson as well, but try and find a recommended instructor on here, modern technique is so very different to years ago and you should find modern kit easier to ski on than blades. Blades really aren't going to help your knee assuming they have a non release binding??

Cheers,

Greg ( a young 51!)

Hi Greig,
Sorry to disappoint but blades have come with modern release bindings for quite a number of years now.
They did originally come with non release bindings but there is no reason to use them nowadays apart from saving money or weight; non release bindings of course do not have brakes so could be a danger to other skiers if the safety strap comes free.
snow report
Stick with blades. Your group is obviosuly not skiing fast or difficult terrain so if you are determined not to have lessons then there is no point getting skis. If however you actually want to enjoy the wider world of skiing then at 67 you are far from past it but probably need lessons to correct whatever it is makes you unhappy on what are very short skis for an adult male. Armchair analysis would suggest that you don't really have a technique that actually turns the skis efficiently which is why you find a 160cm ski hard whereas blades you can probably muscle around.
snow conditions
JohnU wrote:

Like everybody else I'm inclined to suggest longer skis and lessons, but the kind of ski you are describing does exist...

https://www.hagan-ski.com/en/products/skis/tour-special/off-limits
ski holidays
@Oceanic, That's a glorified approach ski not a grown up ski for resort skiing.
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
@Oceanic, That's a glorified approach ski not a grown up ski for resort skiing.

I've not going to pass comment on whether they are any good or not, but Hagan states that...

'This ski is sturdy, agile and drifts beautifully in powder. A little secret is how the exceptionally maneuverable Off Limits aids skiing steep, deep and tightly-tree'd slopes. More than a few people have great fun on the Off Limits in powder stashes that are too much work on longer skis'.
latest report
Stick with blades. Your group is obviosuly not skiing fast or difficult terrain so if you are determined not to have lessons then there is no point getting skis. If however you actually want to enjoy the wider world of skiing then at 67 you are far from past it but probably need lessons to correct whatever it is makes you unhappy on what are very short skis for an adult male. Armchair analysis would suggest that you don't really have a technique that actually turns the skis efficiently which is why you find a 160cm ski hard whereas blades you can probably muscle around.

You feeling particularly 'direct' today Mr M? snowHead

You still see a number of people zipping about on blades so obviously some people enjoy them and are getting something out of it, good for John if that's what he likes. I also understand the frustration that sHs default response is "get some lessons"...however...I'm surprised that anyone would not be able to get on with a 'normal' ski unless their technique was at fault, and if you're aware of that I'm surprised you wouldn't look to develop (although if you're a 1 week per year skier then I get that one may not want to send half the week in lessons). I'm also surprised at the idea of them being any better for knees than full length skis. Sure, the longer ski may increase the chance of a knee blowout, but the sheer beating that you get from skiing on blades (especially bumpy spring snow) simply can't be good for you.

And I completely refuse to accept the "I'm too old" excuse.
ski holidays
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:

You feeling particularly 'direct' today Mr M? snowHead

You still see a number of people zipping about on blades so obviously some people enjoy them and are getting something out of it, good for John if that's what he likes.

Yep call it tough love? Absolutely have no problem with the OP enjoying blades so that's why I suggest he sticks with them rather than look for some goldilocks hybrid that doesn't really exist so he is less embarassed about being on blades.

For the record Decthlon tried to get people onto a short ski revolution a few years back and maybe one of the big brands (Atomic?) dabbled in it. Didn't really take off.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=11455
ski holidays
For the record Decthlon tried to get people onto a short ski revolution a few years back and maybe one of the big brands (Atomic?) dabbled in it. Didn't really take off.

Yeah, sounds familiar. About ten years ago when I was just getting into skiing, a friend of mine who has skied since the dark ages finally decided that his seven-foot Fischers were due for retirement. After doing no more research than hanging about in ski resorts for a bit, he came to the conclusion that short skis were the new long skis, and promptly picked up some 120s. He is similar size to the op, and now uses a pair of twin-tip park skis about 30cm too short. Effectively snow blades.

Incidentally, he also had a pair of snowblades which, once out of fashion, were attached to some bits of wood to make a very slick and dangerous sledge Shocked
latest report
https://www.momentskis.com/products/chipotle-snowblades

Do it.
snow conditions
/\ Brilliant. Pretty much designed for the Pain McShlonkey Classic. It's an impressive sight seeing Daron Ralves win his annual Snowlerblade Chinese Downhill title in his Evel Kneivel onesie.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dave of the Marmottes, joking aside, I would imagine they handle as well as one can reasonably expect from a snowlerblade.
snow conditions
Revel8's are you what you might be after, much fatter than blades. However hard work on icy anything but great in steep powder & great for lowdown carving.
snow report
gorilla wrote:
https://www.momentskis.com/products/chipotle-snowblades

Do it.

J Skis do a similar "cool" snowblade. No need to feel embarrassed when your skiing on something made by an independent and well respected ski company!
ski holidays

Dave, that's quite a selection of sweeping statements for just one paragraph Laughing
latest report

Dave, that's quite a selection of sweeping statements for just one paragraph Laughing
snow report
You might want to look at these...https://www.spruceski.com/sherpa-130cm.html

I love mine, I'm no expert but they carve on piste, float in powder and smash through cut up crud at the end of the day....
snow report
JohnU wrote:

Yeah but it's probably true. Like I said tough love. Stick with blades and keep enjoying it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy