Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski backpacks for kids - a good idea?

Poster: A snowHead
@hang11, The uber cool Enduro MTB dudes wouldnt dream of shredding the gnar without one nowadays.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Martin & Ami, You do realise even carrying a non folding penknife can get you pinged in the UK.

I believe people have been arrested by over zealous fuzz for having a fruit knife for picnics in their car.

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DrLawn wrote:
Bring back the "Bum Bag"

i dug my old one out .. it wont go round any more, and if i fit it under my belly it falls down as the back bottom i had which would have held it up ..has fallen off ... got to love old age and the dad bod
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@limegreen1, Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Mini Hang11 who works in the cool AF snowboarding shop in town says they are the latest must have for the steezy look - they sell loads, and they are ridiculously expensive.

I always knew it was worth hanging on to mine

https://thebumbag.com.au/

My nearly 14 year old daughter has pointed out that bumbags are in fashion - and how there are lots of expensive designer ones around. I scoffed. She eye-rolled me. Such is the life of a father of a teenage daughter. Smile
google found me this "lovely" example.
https://www.mytheresa.com/en-gb/saint-laurent-lou-quilted-velvet-belt-bag-1077436.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrZrSov_23gIVBflRCh0AyQKJEAQYASABEgKmI_D_BwE&utm_campaign=google_sea&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMIrZrSov_23gIVBflRCh0AyQKJEAQYASABEgKmI_D_BwE:G:s&utm_medium=google&utm_source=sea_pla
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This one seems more accessible:
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Bennisboy, @Layne,

See, I knew bumbags would soon come back into fashion once word got out that I have one wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
@Martin & Ami, You do realise even carrying a non folding penknife can get you pinged in the UK.

I believe people have been arrested by over zealous fuzz for having a fruit knife for picnics in their car.

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

Yeah, "good reason" unless its a little non-locking folder, but even then, you wouldn't want to be in a wetherspoons with one of those on a Friday night with a pint in your hand. As for bumbags, they should be a crime against fashion in my opinion...! Says the man that has a running belt...which is categorically not a bum bag, honest. Laughing

I dont think the OP was talking about the UK though, unless I missed something? The law in France is similar to the UK in regards to such things.

I believe you're right about the fruit knife. Think I read about that or something similar. I'm now imagining two old dears quietly sat in the car having their salmon and cucumber sandwiches and slicing an apple when suddenly, a team of armed police start smashing the windows. Deary me.

Bit off topic now, so I'll bow out and hope the OP finds a solutions they are happy with Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PeakyB wrote:
What do people think about bum bags, worn with the bag on the front?

Get. Out.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You need to wear bum bags across the chest to look cool.

latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I'm now imagining two old dears quietly sat in the car having their salmon and cucumber sandwiches and slicing an apple when suddenly, a team of armed police start smashing the windows. Deary me.

I have been one of those old dears sitting in a car slicing an apple - with a beautiful fruit flick-knife which used to belong to my grandmother. I also have an Opinel in the glove pocket of my car. I gave my daughter one with her name on, for a birthday present, and it was confiscated by customs from their camper when they went to France.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A Gillet Jaune from Thonon was arrested in Paris for carrying an Opinel.
He claimed it was his right as a Savoyard.
The other item (lead pipe) was harder to excuse.
He said that he was Colonel Mustard and was just heading to the Ballroom, but the gendarmes weren't buying it.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@bambionskiis, I’m not a great fan of backpacks for anyone skiing - unless they really need them - and I’m not convinced that your son does, or convinced that the majority of recreational skiers do either. But that’s an argument I’ve had here before!

Free yourself! Most of us really don’t need knives, plasters, spare gloves, goggles lenses for every weather, whistles, cordless drill, duct tape, para cord, spare socks etc, etc. when skiing on piste in a resort. If I was skiing off piste in Siberia then I’m sure I’d pack everything including the kitchen sink, but for a day in La Plagne cruising reds in unexceptionAl conditions then all you really need is money, phone, sun cream and lift pass. [Now I’ll get off my favourite hobby horse and go and have a glass of Gløgg]
ski holidays
But @foxtrotzulu, a backpack is on the prescribed kit list for this trip. So he needs one! Parents who quarrel with such lists are just pain in the arrrrrs and PGL has a good rep for this kind of activity.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
But @foxtrotzulu, a backpack is on the prescribed kit list for this trip. So he needs one! Parents who quarrel with such lists are just pain in the arrrrrs and PGL has a good rep for this kind of activity.
Don’t spoil the discussion with mere facts.
latest report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@bambionskiis,

Free yourself! Most of us really don’t need knives, plasters, spare gloves, goggles lenses for every weather, whistles, cordless drill, duct tape, para cord, spare socks etc, etc. when skiing on piste in a resort.

Damn it, paracord. Thanks for reminding me. Knew I'd left something off my rucksack packing list. With the duct tape and poncho you can use ski poles to whip up a top notch improvised hand glider to escape awkward off piste situations... Very Happy
ski holidays
I wouldn't get obsessed about The Dangers of Rucksacks, as long as you get one where there are no loose clips to get tangled in chair slats. Personally, I've been badly bruised when falling by what I've been carrying in my pockets: mobile 'phone, wallet (cue various jokes), hard case for spectacles, coins, camera etc. so that I now put as much as I can into my rucksack, and keep my pockets clear.
snow conditions
@bambionskiis, is it clear that he actually has to ski with the rucksack? Some PGL accommodation is a 30 minute drive from the slopes, so they don't return to it for lunch. It is possible that he needs a rucksack to carry his lunch for the day, but that it will be left on the coach / in lockers while he is actually skiing.
ski holidays
Primark/H&M are both full of bum bags this winter, so most certainly in fashion, for girls. Not sure if that will convince a 14 year old lad though. I completely understand the concern and I don't think you should be worried about raising it with the school. Teenagers, school trips and chair lifts have gone wrong before so I'd be the same as you. Might be that they will leave them in a picnic room somewhere. This is what happens at the top of the telecabine in Les Carroz.
latest report
Hi Bambionskis,

I lead our school ski trip every year and at the parents info night I expressly forbid rucksacks and I demo ( as much as I can in a classroom) what can happen on a chairlift or poma/tbar, then tell them to look at Youtube vids if they think I'm kidding them. The kids should have plenty of pockets for their bits and pieces, although my lot have lunch at a base restaurant. I check them all before I leave them off with their instructor just to make sure. Mine are all Transition Year students so 16 years old or so.
snow report
Yeah, sandwich in pocket. Any jacket goggle-pocket would fit any reasonable sandwich.

In the US/ Canada people sometimes carry their boots/ shoes /lunch in a backpack. They usually have lockers for storing them, or there may be an (insecure) "bag tree". In most places there will be signs which are enforced which will tell you that you can't ride the lifts with a bag on your back. It's common to chop unused straps.

Bum bag? I doubt those are in fashion, and if they're not then any kid's simply not going to admit even having one. Rather like the kids who carry their cycle hemlets strapped to the handlebars of their bikes, if the kid doesn't like it, when you're not looking, they won't use it.

I can't imagine what the OP's teachers are thinking. I don't know anyone who rides at resorts with a backpack - how strange.
snow conditions
Don't know if this is the Decathlon bag mentioned earlier but it would probably fit the bill. It's a cycling/hydration pack with 3L capacity and a 1l bladder and no dangly straps.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-mtb-hydration-pack-red-id_8403053.html

I bought one for cycling and have often used it for skiing - handy for carrying water (in the bladder or small bottle if preferred!), sun cream, snacks, sunglasses and ski lock - leaving just about enough room for the duct tape and para cord....
snow report
Rather than cut off loose straps we got some heavy duty velcro strips and tidied them all up so there was nothing dangling to get caught.

I wonder if with a cheaper backpack you could cut the straps and sew in a release buckle or a piece of elastic so the force of a child’s weight would release it / break it?
latest report
PeakyB wrote:
What do people think about bum bags, worn with the bag on the front?

I believe the Americans call them "fanny packs".
latest report
The ski school guys here have bum bag first aid kits that they wear under their ski jackets. I’m sure a small bum bag can carry axlunch and fit under a jacket. But i’d First check that the bags are going on the slopes with the kids.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy