Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French gendarme on piste control stops in 2019?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Apparently we can expect French speed and other police on piste interventions on piste in 2019 according to these new laws - not fully sure on my French but looks like France will be even less fun...

https://www.facebook.com/lecanapvideos/videos/248245122585993/UzpfSTEwMDAyNjMxNDY5NzYxMzoyMDE4ODA4OTA2OTkwNjY/
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Reckless skiing is becoming the scourge of the slopes and it won't be long before skiers are killed.

We skied at Val Thorens (season opening day) on Saturday and witnessed the worst examples we've ever seen of inappropriate (for the conditions) high speed skiing.

Narrow runs - in parts only 25% of normal width - limited skiing and big crowds led to bottle necks which felt like the M25. Ridiculous overcrowding (the worst we've experienced in 30 years of skiing) meant even the blue runs all had big moguls (which we enjoy, by the way...) and, while the vast majority of folk were sensible - albeit slowed down by the bumps - we witnessed idiots straightlining the runs at eye watering speeds, missing other skiers by only a
few feet. It made for absolutely horrific viewing and could have been carnage.

We love to ski fast but recognise there's a time and a place.

I've had a few scary, high speed, near misses in France in the last couple of seasons and challenging the perpetrators means you are wasting your breath. One idiot's classic response was to say to me, "If you are so frightened on ze slopes you should try ze bicycle..."

Lift pass confiscation is definitely the way forward IMHO and, in this respect, the American's definitely have the right approach.

This is a step in the right direction, me thinks - though it will be interesting to see how it's applied.

Bring on the gendarmes!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I agree. We skied in the 3 Vallees last year and had a couple of near miss incidents. One involved 3 guys bombing it down the Green Animal run that the ski schools take the beginner skiers on. Its crowded and it only takes one mistake and there is tragedy all round. I fully agree with pass confiscation as a punishment. The do it in Australia as well.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I agree, those other skiers are terrible. Obviously, when I ski fast I am always considerate to other skiers and even boarders.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Bergmeister, @FrediKanoute, @nigelg,

+1
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mishmash wrote:
Apparently we can expect French speed and other police on piste interventions on piste in 2019 according to these new laws - not fully sure on my French but looks like France will be even less fun...

I do hope the last part of your comment is tongue in cheek, because if your idea or fun is endangering others by dangerous or high speed skiing in areas where it is not appropriate I would prefer it if you never skied in France - or anywhere in fact.

The standards of behaviour and general carelessness is becoming more apparent. There are various trends which have encouraged this, social media - with everyone trying to be Leo Tartiflette, whose stunts are carefully controlled but designed to appear otherwise. Modern ski teaching seems to revolve around having fun to the expense of discipline - how many times have you seen instructors jumping on and off the side of the pistes with a long snake of kids behind them. Yes the instructor is looking but as soon as the lesson is finished that safety link is removed.

At least there is not a heavy drinking culture on the pistes in France like Austria and Germany.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dom Deluise at his best - hilarious, especially the bit about running down barefoot - ROFL
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The person who smashed into my daughter on a blue run in Val thorens had a distinct whiff of alcohol from them, Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
French humour, eh? Hilarious.

No not really. Allez les Bronzes!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The main causes of Reckless skiing

Groomed Pistes
Carving Skis
Helmets (Deaf & Blinkered Vision)

Stay Off Piste IT is SAFER.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ban people with loose trousers skiing on really fat skis on-piste on non-powder days. (I’m ducking for cover)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@stanton, Helmets - No its what is inside the helmet that is the problem. The hearing attenuation of my helmet is the same as a wooly hat, my helmet does not interfere with my peripheral vision at all. But yes off piste (especially touring) can be safer.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Ozboy, we always look for the grey flappy anorak and try our best to avoid. Now I am going to sound very old but I think it is linked to a lack of manners and consideration for others, not better skis or the like. It is just a lack of thought/care for others. We shouldn't be surprised that it has made its way onto the slopes. I would be very pleased indeed to see ski passes confiscated.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Cheesie168, agree... I grew up skiing in Thredbo Australia where more often than not there was a ski patroller with a whistle sheltered behind ‘slow down’ signs at pinch points. They would stop the reckless skiers and have a cheat or in extreme cases confiscate passes. Seemed to work well.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh dear. Major Irony Fail - for those of you that didn't click the link , it was an April Fool from last year , "candid camera" style of some fake gendarme piste stops for speeding, lack of insurance, MOT, helmet etc . The "Forum" seems to have become a "Platform" for posters to repeat entrenched views without even "listening" to the evidence placed before them - in this case a satire on French policing and fines being extended even to skiing.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy