Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I dont like off piste.

Poster: A snowHead
Tell me why.......
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
get a snowboard. Then it will all make sense.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
European powda sucks.

It is wet, heavy, thin, choppy, and crusty.

Too near the warm Med sea.

Too many tourists and bums.

Take an airplane to Japan or Utah.

The offpiste is far deeper, lighter, and fluffier.

You will be a pow hero in no time.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nothing wrong with preferring the piste to off piste but as above there do seem to be a few myths about off piste.

You certainly don't need to be a particularly good skier to enjoy it, doesn't matter how much I try my technique has never gone above mediocre and I love off piste skiing.
A lot of off piste runs are far easier than pisted runs , getting down some of the scraped home pistes at the end of the day with a bit of ice around is generally far more difficult than most of the stuff I ski.

Having said that in general there is no doubt it is usually a bit more tiring to ski the snow is usually less consistent and you are having to adjust balance a lot more often which is more tiring and decision making about where to go needs to be a bit more precise which in turn can be a bit more mentally fatiguing.
You also get to ski much quieter bits of the mountain which is at least in part why I like to get into the hills either summer or winter , being off the beaten track is just a bit more peaceful.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I feel much the same and have now given up trying

yeah, me too - even before my current health problems I found that the amount of falling I did in the difficult snow (easiski's description) at La Grave left me with a hugely swollen and very stiff knee (despite a steroid injection into it the week before, in preparation). Even so, some tuition specifically looking at how to descend what (to me....) were quite steep slopes, made a big difference. I just left it too late in my skiing career, I guess - I was in my late 60s when we did the La Grave descent - which will count as the high spot of my patchy off piste skiing career! I'd had lessons before, in deep soft snow, which had been enjoyable (if also knackering) and much improved my performance. Just not enough! I'm glad I did it - it gave me a "taste" of the real thing and helps on those days when the snow on-piste is far from perfect. But I am very happy to ski nicely groomed corduroy in the sunshine, as I am to beam-reach at 8 knots on a flat sea rather than hammering to windward in a chop. I don't feel I have anything to prove (it's one of the few advantages of being old....).

Very wise words and so similar to me. If I got bored skiing Pistes then I can see why one may want to go elsewhere, but only getting 2 x 1 week ski breaks a year I never get to that boredom level and am quite happy skiing the same piste over and over as I never get it right.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think I get as much pleasure skiing clean corduroy as off-pisters do finding fresh powder.
I have had a few off-piste lessons but at my age feel any more would be wasting time I would otherwise spend enjoying the on-piste.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's one thing to PREFER piste over off-piste. It's quite another to say "don't like" off-piste. By which I gather you mean you never find enjoyment off-piste.

I prefer chicken or fish over pork. But I do like the occasional pork when it's prepared right. I just can't stomach badly prepared pork.

Indeed a lot of off-piste doesn't quite live up to the hype. But when it does, it's heavenly! And a lot of less than heavenly off-piste that are just as enjoyable as piste.

The OP say "don't like off-piste" is more of a statement of the snow and the skill. You're either not finding the nice floaty powder/smooth corn, or you lack the skill to ski on soft snow. Either way, it's a state of ignorance and missed opportunity.

I've tried sky diving and rock climbing. I could see the appeal. But not enough to motivate me to sink in the cost and time to practice. Still, I definitely wouldn't say I "don't like" them. In fact, I LIKE rock climbing! Just not liking it enough to do it justice. I prefer skiing and cycling instead.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
^ by that argument, it's impossible to dislike anything. I don't buy it. There are plenty of things that I don't like, even when you limit it to sport.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

It's one thing to PREFER piste over off-piste. It's quite another to say "don't like" off-piste. By which I gather you mean you never find enjoyment off-piste.

@abc,
Slightly disagree but I guess its a matter of expression up to a point and how precise one is about framing sentences.
The OP states he does not like off piste , this seems a fairly passive statement indicating that he does not derive enjoyment from off piste skiing , not that he has an active hatred of it, but when he has tried it he has not really derived enjoyment from it.
Judging by his follow up posts that seems a pretty accurate statement of how he derives pleasure from skiing he likes piste skiing but currently does not enjoy off piste even if it would be theoretically possible for him to do so.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pyremaniac wrote:
^ by that argument, it's impossible to dislike anything. I don't buy it. There are plenty of things that I don't like, even when you limit it to sport.

In my experience, almost all the things I initially disliked became like once I got the hang of it.

Doesn’t mean I partake with the same enthusiasm on all though.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@T Bar, I don’t believe the OP hates off puste either. But to start a thread about not liking something is a pretty strong sentiment. In my view, that’s clearly a missed opportunity born out of ignorance. Also see my response to @Pyremaniac above.

(I also got the impression the OP skis a faire amount. So he had missed the opportunity to multiply his enjoyment many fold by not learning how to ski off piste properly to enjoy it. Unlike other 1 week per year skiers who barely had time to cover all the piste to begin with)

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 27-11-18 10:15; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This is getting silly. I'm not going to argue with DotMs that he can't possibly not like sailing. Some people don't like sailing. Some people don't like the music of J S Bach. Some people don't like little kids. Normal people just have to accept such sentiments. wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It would be very boring if we all liked the same things. The off-piste enthusiasts should be grateful that some of us prefer skiing on piste. It means less crowding for them. I only manage one weeks skiing a year and I prefer to use that week to get the most fun I can. I would rather use the time to improve my on piste technique than to struggle learning something new. I am aware that I only have a limited number of years left to ski so I want to make the most of them
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
I'm not going to argue with DotMs that he can't possibly not like sailing.

It's probably only because he hasn't done the right type of sailing, or no one gave him proper sailing lessons.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jonny996 wrote:
There I've said it & I feel better for it Happy.
I'm a fairly competent skier, ski most any run & do about 20-25 days a year but for me I just cant be bothered with the off piste skiing. Perhaps its because I am heavy at 100Kg(but fairly fit) or I am on the wrong ski's., 80 wide but the effort that is required versus the fun is far to high compared to finding an empty rolling piste that I can carve down at a moderate speed.
Being 100% self taught it may be that I am just doing it all wrong & I may even invest in some off piste tuition this year to see if I get it.
Anyone else in the same boat?

Not at your level at all jonny, but I wanted to say that in my humble opinion, you aren't confident on the terrain because maybe the technique is off. I'm not a good skiier but have started dry slope lessons as I was not enjoying skiing and constantly felt out of my comfort zone and really want to nail it. I'm feeling more confident and actually wanting to ski now. What I'm saying is, although you are clearly a good skier to do this sort of skiing, perhaps some lessons in resort at the beginning of the trip would help you. As an aside though, I would say don't force it. It isn't a competition and if you just don't "get" it, why bother?
snow report
abc wrote:

I prefer chicken or fish over pork. But I do like the occasional pork when it's prepared right. I just can't stomach badly prepared pork.

Indeed a lot of off-piste doesn't quite live up to the hype. But when it does, it's heavenly! And a lot of less than heavenly off-piste that are just as enjoyable as piste.

The OP say "don't like off-piste" is more of a statement of the snow and the skill. You're either not finding the nice floaty powder/smooth corn, or you lack the skill to ski on soft snow. Either way, it's a state of ignorance and missed opportunity.

I've tried sky diving and rock climbing. I could see the appeal. But not enough to motivate me to sink in the cost and time to practice. Still, I definitely wouldn't say I "don't like" them. In fact, I LIKE rock climbing! Just not liking it enough to do it justice. I prefer skiing and cycling instead.

This seems like nonsense to me, it is perfectly possible to not like something and there is nothing wrong with that. I don't like mushrooms, no matter how they are prepared, I don't like stout, no matter what brand or how it is brewed, activity-wise, I sure as hell don't like yoga, I've tried it a few times, it is boring and I'm not gonna do it anymore.
snow report
Seems a bit odd that this has taken three pages!
There is no reason why the OP SHOULD enjoy off piste. Perfectly possible to love skiing and never head beyond the piste markers.
Personally I love it all - spend as much time off piste as I can when the conditions are any good but also recognise that piste skiing can be wonderful too and can certainly be better under some snow conditions.

There is nothing wrong with you if you don't like off piste. If you are curious WHY you dont enjoy it when many others do then it is probably because you do need to invest in some hard work (falling, digging yourself out, finding skis, etc) before you can ski off piste with efficiency and competence. Obviously easier to do that when you are young and fit. On the other hand, modern ski designs have made the learning curve much easier than it was when I floundered about.
latest report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
pam w wrote:
I'm not going to argue with DotMs that he can't possibly not like sailing.

It's probably only because he hasn't done the right type of sailing, or no one gave him proper sailing lessons.

For sure if only I'd got a fatter boat and the right sort of lessons it would be a different experience. wink After being bored by various boaty excursions the icing on the cake was a Mark Warner beach club thing where we were forbidden from going in the water for 3 days because a thunder storm had swept sewage directly into the beachfront, followed by 3 days of the calmest air one could imagine. It's expensive, uncomfortable, vulnerable to the vagaries of the weather, couched in its own bizarre terminology and participated in by a fair number of pompous berks - it's almost the perfect analogue for skiing. Laughing
snow conditions
@Dave of the Marmottes, Laughing
ski holidays
I actually know a number of people that don't like skiing. At all. And some even tried it. Lessons and everything. How weird is that!!??
snow report
I only wish I had more access to off piste skiing. I got a taste of real (i.e. light, fluffy) powder about 20 years ago at Telluride and it was like a drug. And no, wasn't terribly hard to ski, to be honest, so long as you keep the tips up...

What is hard to ski is frozen crust, ice, chowder, deep heavy snow etc. Those are all conditions you're likely to experience, but if you can handle them, then you know you're a complete skier. Nowadays I content myself with sidecountry.

As to the wide ski thing, yes, they will help but before skis were shaped you just run whatcha brung. Take a look at some old powder videos -- those guys handled it just fine on straight skinny skis.
ski holidays
Quote:

It's expensive, uncomfortable, vulnerable to the vagaries of the weather, couched in its own bizarre terminology and participated in by a fair number of pompous berks

Spot on. And pompous berks are particularly thick on the ground in the Solent.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

It's expensive, uncomfortable, vulnerable to the vagaries of the weather, couched in its own bizarre terminology and participated in by a fair number of pompous berks

Spot on. And pompous berks are particularly thick on the ground in the Solent.
Not all at sea then? (where did I put my hat? rolling eyes )

This thread is an interesting read - I can't help thinking that OP posted precisely because of off-piste evangelists.
latest report
Quote:

you do need to invest in some hard work (falling, digging yourself out, finding skis, etc) before you can ski off piste with efficiency and competence.

I’m not convinced even that is necessary.

It’s quite possible to refine one’s technique on piste, without the massive falling over. Then take the proper technique off piste, with minimal amount of adjustment.

Sure, it’s a big faff to get back up after falling over in deep snow. But with decent technique, the number of falling over can be greatly reduced. And enjoyment greatly enhanced. Toofy Grin
latest report
Quote:

Not all at sea then?

No - sailing around the Solent from marina to marina and never going beyond its confines is perhaps the equivalent of only skiing on piste. wink
snow conditions
If the OP doesn't like it, that leaves a little more for the rest of us. What's not to like?
ski holidays
Pasigal wrote:
I only wish I had more access to off piste skiing. I got a taste of real (i.e. light, fluffy) powder about 20 years ago at Telluride and it was like a drug.

I'd say much the same thing about ice. Nothing quite like nailing a icy piste with a good pair of slalom skis and getting those edges in. Yes, when you fall it does lead to more brusing - but you don't get anything like a tired getting back up as you do in powder.
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
GrosPierre wrote:

Fat skis won't really help if you don't have sufficient technique but they will once you do.

This is oversimplified. It’s like telling someone driving on ice to get extra driving lessons rather than winter tires. I’ll have the tires first please!

For sure get lessons but IME the skis will make a MUCH bigger difference in deep snow.

Try taking a pair of GS skis into the deep stuff and however great your technique it’s a battle. On fat rockered skis any half decent skier can enjoy themselves.

And i’ve yet to meet anyone who didn’t enjoy once on the right equipment. When you’re not struggling any more is there a better feeling then floating down a powder field?

I think it goes hand in hand.

The best suited equipment combined with the instruction and tactics to ski the snow conditions and terrain.

Too often I see underskilled skiers clicking into fat, rockered skis and not having the skill set, tactics / mountain awareness to manage the acceleration the larger platform allows.

This normally results in seconds of hurtling followed by an attempt at a hockey stop to slam the brakes on, followed by being pitched over the handlebars or sideways into the snow.

Great if it's a wide open slope. Not so great if there are rocks or trees about.

Or other people.

I like your analogy about winter tyres, but they and 4WD don't stop underskilled drivers ending up in the ditch.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mike Pow, agreed. Not saying fat skis suddenly make you a great skier or are good once it’s chopped up, moguls etc but...

Put put an intermediate on a mellow, side of the piste powder field after an overnight dump of 20-30cm. A realistic pow scenario for most « recreational » skiers. Most will struggle on their 70-85mm waisted « all Mountain skis ». Put them on a DPS Wailers or even a Rosignol Soul 7 and they will have a totally different experience. Able to turn at slow speeds, while leaning back, feeling of planing rather than diving, big extra confidence boost. I suspect some of those who haven’t enjoyed their off piste experiences would enjoy it.
latest report
Some of those comments could also be made about snowboards, couldn't they. One of my sons is a very good skier but given fresh snow, will always take his board out though he is not as good a boarder as he is a skier.
ski holidays
Quote:

Quote:

you do need to invest in some hard work (falling, digging yourself out, finding skis, etc) before you can ski off piste with efficiency and competence.

It’s quite possible to refine one’s technique on piste, without the massive falling over. Then take the proper technique off piste, with minimal amount of adjustment.

Sure, it’s a big faff to get back up after falling over in deep snow. But with decent technique, the number of falling over can be greatly reduced. And enjoyment greatly enhanced.

You know that is probably true. Come to think of it, I was dragged off piste by better skiing friends from my third week on skis so I really had to learn while still nailing down the piste basics. That did involve a fair amount of floundering. TBH so did learning to ski crud and gloop on 2m skinny slalom skis.
snow report
jedster wrote:
I was dragged off piste by better skiing friends from my third week on skis so I really had to learn while still nailing down the piste basics.

This. Never too early to ski off piste. My instructor took me off piste on first week on skis.
ski holidays
Never too early/young for a bit of off piste:

latest report
jedster wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Sure, it’s a big faff to get back up after falling over in deep snow. But with decent technique, the number of falling over can be greatly reduced. And enjoyment greatly enhanced.

You know that is probably true. Come to think of it, I was dragged off piste by better skiing friends from my third week on skis so I really had to learn while still nailing down the piste basics. That did involve a fair amount of floundering. TBH so did learning to ski crud and gloop on 2m skinny slalom skis.

If it helps, lots of people only begin to truly enjoy off-piste once you've reached a level where the majority of pistes don't pose much challenge. That usually means they are at a stage where off-piste isn't the completely exhausting experience that it can be for less experienced skiers.

I can't remember what level you said you are at, but once you reach that stage you might start to see your preferences change (however plenty of people like piste skiing more and there is nothing that says you have to go off-piste if you don't want to)
snow conditions
@BobinCH, Agreed.

I always think about my first trip skiing when I was 13 in Le Mont Dore.....there were no pistes and we were on narrow super long skis, spring bindings with wet leather boots, that kind of focused the mind......it was all offpiste, you either did it or stayed indoors.
latest report
Like mountain biking and road biking, very different things that intersect somewhat.

Off piste needs more fitness to learn and has a higher bar to enjoyment. But the options once you like it are endless! I think it's worth getting a couple of lessons because otherwise you never will enjoy it.
snow conditions
Bennisboy wrote:
If it helps, lots of people only begin to truly enjoy off-piste once you've reached a level where the majority of pistes don't pose much challenge.

Sadly, by that stage, you might also had picked up a bunch of bad habits that really inhibits off-piste skiing.

Getting "dragged off-piste" at week 1 or 3 or 5 is actually a blessing in disguise.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 27-11-18 17:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I prefer to ski on piste and snowboard off piste.

That is the best of both worlds.
snow conditions
Have you ever tried wider skis? I'm tall & am just under 90 kg but I have never felt so comfortable & safe in any conditions since I acquired some Preachers. What BSL are you? If you're similar to me you can try one of my pairs in Scotland (if the snow comes).
ski holidays
@McKenzie, very kind offer but unfortunately I have zero gear here, it all stays in StG.
Also what’s BSL
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy