Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I dont like off piste.

Poster: A snowHead
I don't like Mondays in the office. Off piste I am ok with
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Scarlet wrote:
@DB, That is pretty much exactly my experience (though I'll skip on the ML refs, as I find them quite distasteful). @admin may remember waiting quite some time for me to repeatedly fall my way down a line, finishing with a particularly spectacular entrance back onto the piste that involved my head meeting the ground several times Shocked I was determined to get it though, and I took about 3 weeks of lessons and practice to sort myself out. I don't fall over that much now, so don't expend so much energy getting back up again, but when I do there is usually blood and/or broken mountain furniture to deal with

FIFY
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I feel much the same and have now given up trying

yeah, me too - even before my current health problems I found that the amount of falling I did in the difficult snow (easiski's description) at La Grave left me with a hugely swollen and very stiff knee (despite a steroid injection into it the week before, in preparation). Even so, some tuition specifically looking at how to descend what (to me....) were quite steep slopes, made a big difference. I just left it too late in my skiing career, I guess - I was in my late 60s when we did the La Grave descent - which will count as the high spot of my patchy off piste skiing career! I'd had lessons before, in deep soft snow, which had been enjoyable (if also knackering) and much improved my performance. Just not enough! I'm glad I did it - it gave me a "taste" of the real thing and helps on those days when the snow on-piste is far from perfect. But I am very happy to ski nicely groomed corduroy in the sunshine, as I am to beam-reach at 8 knots on a flat sea rather than hammering to windward in a chop. I don't feel I have anything to prove (it's one of the few advantages of being old....).

Good attitude (though I'd rather ski the tamest nursery slope for the rest of my life than try any more sailing) I have to admit I'm not that interested in skiing lines where the "being gripped" detracts from the pleasure of the skiing. So even though I get my fair share of off piste skiing there are those doing far gnarlier stuff that I have no real aspiration to emulate.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't like doing off-piste either (any more). I did quite a bit in groups with instructors many years ago and loved it.

Now I simply prefer staying on the piste in my comfort zone!! I know I could get lessons to improve off-piste, but I enjoy skiing and the mountains as I am. I just hate falling in the deep stuff, and half the time the off-piste is all tracked out crusty sh*t anyway unless you're prepared to hike.

I'm just an average intermediate, I can ski most runs in a resort - some of them reasonably well! I don't think that's anything to sneer at.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Thing is, if you rule out off piste you are missing more than just skiing, it's the experience of being in the high mountains away from the masses.

There are other ways of being in the high mountains away from the masses. And if you are getting to and from your off-piste by using pistes, you're not that far from the masses and their hardware, are you?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ive used pistes and lifts to get to off piste day tours .... and the mountains were high and there certainly werent masses of people ... if any

there are plenty of refuges just over ridges you wouldnt dream of going to unless you ski off piste .. and theyre not a great distance not hard to get to and from... for example you can sit/eat/drink in the abomination at the Palet lift in Tignes or go to the top of the lift and pop down to the refuge and have a more traditional mountain experience away from the masses ...

off piste skiing is not for everyone ... skiing is about putting that big grin on your face and plenty of whoops where ever you are ..

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 26-11-18 14:37; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
HoneyBunny wrote:

I'm just an average intermediate, I can ski most runs in a resort - some of them reasonably well! I don't think that's anything to sneer at.

I don't think it's sneerable either, and anyone that does can soon be reminded that without average intermediates they would be accessing all their gnarl by their own power exclusively as there wouldn't be the funds to run ski lifts for the gnarly boyz n girlz alone.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Dave of the Marmottes, Err..., not my fault, my nose bleeds easily. Nothing to be concerned about, generally looks a lot worse than it is Embarassed Don't know nuffin 'bout the fence, guv Little Angel
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
limegreen1 wrote:
ive used pistes and lifts to get to off piste day tours .... and the mountains were high and there certainly werent masses of people ... if any

Exactly, I use lifts to help access off piste routes, usually with no one else but the group we are in.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@tonyswift, thanks, there will be no bragging from me, far to old for that.
@Layne, Just curious, I knew I wouldn't be the only one but there are a few on here who are well into double figure years of skiing & I just wondered if everyone eventually got into it. As for Motive I must admit the Valle Blance run does appeal & I know my kids will want to do it at some point BUT I would only ever do it if I was totally comfortable off piste & yes I would have a guide.
Also it been quite on here & I haven't seen the topic before so I thought I would start one.
I think I will get myself a set of ex hire fat skis to try out (can get them for 150 euro) & if I feel it slightly easier I will book a couple of lessons.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I can well believe it, and in most of my on-piste skiing I don't encounter masses either - often the only people on a slope, straight onto lifts etc. I'm just mildly irritated by the suggestion that off-piste skiing is the only way to get into the mountains away from the masses. I've done plenty of walking in mountains miles away from any lifts and totally devoid of masses.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 26-11-18 14:37; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
started 5 seasons ago I ma 42 now, doing maybe 20 days a year with kids if i am lucky. Had lessons from my wife who has been on skis since she was 10.
after one season I booked 6 days lesson with ESF. Was with beginners for one day but was told off and transferred to Advance group. I always loved playing off sides of piste and designated freeride terrain-not true off piste?Quiet, demanding terrain, i keep learning a lot. In Feb I am booked for off piste course. I like piste to practice technique only.
I cannot carve- I don't care (it will come or not) i want to have fun but I am not stupid and i don't want to die.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I too don't bother with off-piste. Been skiing 30+ years, always seems such a fuff to me, shovels, backpacks, transponders blah blah.
In the years I've skiied I always feel there is plenty of room for improving my on-piste skiing without worrying about other aspects. I also haven't tried ski jumping nor nordic either, yet don't feel a need to do them too. Little Angel
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Apologies folks I may have gotten my terminology mixed up, when I stated off piste I meant down the side of the piste, maybe 10-20 meters off the side or cutting a couple of hundred meters over from one piste to the other, I have no interest in transponders/avalanche bags ect.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I had to google it, but it seems that going off piste is no longer compulsory.

Apparently, so long as you enjoy yourself, you can ski however you like.

Weird.
snow conditions
I used to enjoy those occasional fresh powder days to ditch the skis, get a snowboard on, and enjoy that floating feeling.

Then I usually found off piste, even if quite steep, much easier on snowboard than on skis.

Maybe that’s an alternative for skiers who find fresh snow difficult or too much like hard work?
ski holidays
Jonny996 wrote:
As for Motive I must admit the Valle Blance run does appeal & I know my kids will want to do it at some point BUT I would only ever do it if I was totally comfortable off piste & yes I would have a guide.

No need to be an off-piste expert to do the Vallee Blanche. There are various routes down, and the one we did was the 'easy' route. It was so well skied it was almost like being on a piste anyway. It's truly stunning, just go for it!

You have to have a guide/harness/transceiver anyway to get past the crevasses.
latest report
@Jonny996, well, technically those ungroomed bits off the sides are off piste.
Not going to cut it with Gnarly Charlies I don’t think.
snowHead
snow report
Shouldn't this topic be in 'Off Piste' Puzzled

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 26-11-18 14:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Jonny996 wrote:
Apologies folks I may have gotten my terminology mixed up, when I stated off piste I meant down the side of the piste, maybe 10-20 meters off the side or cutting a couple of hundred meters over from one piste to the other, I have no interest in transponders/avalanche bags ect.

Nope, your terminology is correct. In Europe anyway, there is no such thing as a little bit off-piste, and bad things can happen just a few metres outside the poles. Maybe you should get yourself on an avi course wink
snow report
@Mosha Marc, Laughing
snow report
Jonny996 wrote:
@Layne, Just curious, I knew I wouldn't be the only one but there are a few on here who are well into double figure years of skiing & I just wondered if everyone eventually got into it.

TBH if I meet someone and they say they ski, I assume they mean piste ski. Most of the time when I am skiing most of the people are skiing on piste. A lot of people have dabbled, some do so on a regular basis. But as discussed on this thread if you are have dodgy knees, are a bit unfit, don't yet have great technique, it will be hard work, even inadvisable, and the rewards not there. Those that have will, age, fitness, perhaps the right people to do it with, will get there eventually and it's certainly a buzz/joy to be able to comfortably link a number of turns down a slope of untracked snow. That's when you really get it and get hooked and really get into it.

Jonny996 wrote:
As for Motive I must admit the Valle Blance run does appeal & I know my kids will want to do it at some point BUT I would only ever do it if I was totally comfortable off piste & yes I would have a guide.

I've done the VB twice - once the standard route and another time a variant. As much as it's a bit of a popular thing to do, and not particularly gnarly, it's still a worthy one. But IMO there is also a lot of fun to be had with the kids in more humble terrain.

Jonny996 wrote:
I think I will get myself a set of ex hire fat skis to try out (can get them for 150 euro) & if I feel it slightly easier I will book a couple of lessons.

IMO any all mountain ski with a waist 85 to 105 will do - you don't need to go super fat. It's just as important it's a ski your comfortable driving.
snow conditions
Layne wrote:
.........if you are have dodgy knees........it will be hard work, even inadvisable, and the rewards not there.

Ah but my dodgy knee prefers off piste. One day of carving can have it stiff and swollen, but it can do multiple days off piste without a squeak.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 26-11-18 15:25; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Jonny996 wrote:

You are straying into contentious waters here. People will, quite rightly in some ways, tell you, there is only piste and off piste and that one metre or 100m from the slope doesn't matter. A more pragmatic view of course is that there is some "just off the side of the piste" that is patently safe. That said it doesn't take long before you start to spread your wings a little more - and sooner, rather than later, you should consider getting some training and the kit. It doesn't have to be expensive and becomes a bit like wearing a seat belt in the car and understanding the dangers of the road.
ski holidays
I do sometimes find the perception of offpiste being all gbarly gnar quite amusing

There’s plenty of glorious mellow meadow skipping, especially in spring corn conditions, that’s far more relaxed and fluffy bunnies than your average icy black piste.

But each to their own. No need to make what you do for fun stressful (unless type 2 fun is what you find most fun).
latest report
Layne wrote:

You are straying into contentious waters here. People will, quite rightly in some ways, tell you, there is only piste and off piste and that one metre or 100m from the slope doesn't matter. A more pragmatic view of course is that there is some "just off the side of the piste" that is patently safe. That said it doesn't take long before you start to spread your wings a little more - and sooner, rather than later, you should consider getting some training and the kit. It doesn't have to be expensive and becomes a bit like wearing a seat belt in the car and understanding the dangers of the road.

Yeah that's fair enough but it's also the basis for many an opinion of "tried off piste and didn't like it". The stuff next to pistes is rarely life affirming greatness, it can be fun if you approach it in the right frame of mind but skiing on piste on piste-focused skis then dipping off and finding it harder work then the nice manicured groomer is hardly a rarity even among those who love off piste skiing.
ski holidays
I've been known to link quite a lot of turns in nice new snow not far from a piste. Especially following an instructor. Made me feel great! But some of the rest of it ..... made me feel totally inept and knackered. I know it's mostly technique but too late now to acquire enough.....
snow conditions
Think that there's an element of confusion here.

I could take many of you guys n'gals off piste far away from the hordes and you'd have a ball and be able to ski perfect un-tracked snow, and feel that you're a super star, for sure you'd have to be fairly fit but as long as you can hike up a hill you'd have no issues skinning mellow terrain believe me.

Off piste is not just about powder, spring snow can be as good as powder* and almost as exhilarating; and if you can ski piste then you'd have no trouble skiing spring snow and you'd love it.

Unfortunately it's more about logistics, having the right kit at the right time to take advantage of conditions, hence a guide is better in this scenario than an instructor.

*and I'm just back from six days of awesome powder skiing in Siberia!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weathercam wrote:
........*and I'm just back from six days of awesome powder skiing in Siberia!

And with that final line I've just won my bet Toofy Grin
latest report
@Weathercam, funny, I enjoy off piste but am fairly sure that I wouldn't enjoy what you've described (in terms of skinning and generally making an effort)
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
Weathercam wrote:

Damn I had >24 hours in the sweepstake for bragging outsie Off Piste Forum...
ski holidays
Like @clarky999, says some of the best off piste is on not particularly challenging terrain, for me i get much pleasure traversing out on a relatively open slope and bouncing down the meadow far left or right in untracked powder to meet my wife who frequently says I’ll see you at the lift, and stays on piste. The joy of playing and using the terrain features as ramps, jumps and wind blown berms is fantastic. Equally I’m happy to go in a group and do high level routes through av barriers and exposed stuff but depends what mood I’m in, some days the best off piste in my view is no more than 50/ 100m from the nearest piste, other days it can be a lift served trip into a other valley, quite often with a steep crux. Also happy to bash down pistes preferably quiet ones, and prefer interesting terrain changes and features, with tech sections rather than just motorways. It’s all good.....that’s the beauty of skiing. I also maintain fat rockerred skis are such a help, to get into the powder you dont need extensive technique lessons if good on piste rather just go exploring, and keep safe hence learning mountain knowledge and snow/ terrain knowledge rather than how to ski off piste from a guide is my suggestion.
latest report
Much as I love piste skiing I will be found off piste pretty much every opportunity I can do it, I've even tried powder on GS race skis when conditions were just too nice not to venture off.
I have to admit though, that the 120mm Bents are so much easier to manage Laughing
snow conditions
Scarpa wrote:
120mm Bents are so much easier to manage Laughing

Maybe for you!! I'd have better luck strapping on two snowboards!!
snow conditions
queenie pretty please wrote:
… I don't mind steep but I don't want hidden obstacles ...

Same here. I used to ski a lot of "just off the edge of piste", with occasional forays further afield, but had a rethink after the Schumacher accident and have now largely given it up.
snow report
ecureuil wrote:
queenie pretty please wrote:
… I don't mind steep but I don't want hidden obstacles ...

Same here. I used to ski a lot of "just off the edge of piste", with occasional forays further afield, but had a rethink after the Schumacher accident and have now largely given it up.

Sorry if I am being harsh here... but of all the dumb reasons.....
latest report
Skiing on the "edge of the piste" can be dangerous. I once fell through deep snow into a covered stream and was stuck in freezing cold water with only my head and shoulders visible. Others in the group tried to extradite me but in the end had to call the rescue services to dig me out

And I was only 10 metres off the side of the piste
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
Weathercam wrote:

Damn, there goes my crowdfunding as promised at 8p per Snowhead if he didn't start bragging about his trip..... Mad
snow report
I was fed up of making an a**e of myself in fresh powder, so signed up for Ski Marmalade’s one week residential Introduction to Off Piste week; on the basis that if I wasn’t happy to go off piste at the end of the week I would stick to the pistes going forward. After a great fun week, doing mainly off the edges or between the piste skiing I think that I cracked it by the last couple of days ... and I am now looking to build on this for the coming season.
snow conditions
@gazza330, ditto 10 years ago directly opposite a mountain restaurant in Lech much to the delight of the crowded terrace - except I thought I was going to drown, upside down and head in the water! My pals all rolling about in hysterics until they realised I was in trouble. I too laughed afterwards but at the time I was inverted with skis upside down in the snow and had to do pull ups on my skis to keep out of the icy water!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy