Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When Did You First Wear A Ski Helmet?

Poster: A snowHead
I'd only been skiing for 20 years before putting on a helmet for the first time in December last year https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=134577, and to top it all it was one of those daft integrated visor ones Cool . I Don't feel the need to wear one, but will probably carry on. The one major downside I have with a helmet is that in the first 20 years of no helmetI can't recall ever hitting my head on the chairlift bar, on the first day on wearing a helmet I must have hit it 10 or more times.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Learnt as kid in the 80s and skied to the 90's and as I recall only very small kids wore them. Didnt ski again until 2004 and I still dont remember that many people wearing them. Another break until last year and had no intention of wearing a helemt (I dont wear one on my bike for communting) but tried one on (only a cheapy Nevica) and found it very comfortable and very warm. Didnt ski without it last year and wont again this year.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When My kids made me, cos I made them...

probably about 2005.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
2009 after seeing a ski instructor wiped out by a skier who was out of control. If it could happen to him I thought it could very easily happen to me so I bought one as soon as I got to the bottom of the piste.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
2003. Did a ski course out in Canada and loads of people wearing them so got myself one, complete with chin guard.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And on the eosb in 2007 got asked what the bit around the chin was for. Reply ‘What, the chin guard?’
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
March this year. First time in 42 years skiing. Will always wear one now I think.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not long after the Natasha Richardson incident I was skiing down the side of a piste on the last day and got taken out completely by an out of control skier. He knocked my bobble hat off in the process, it made me think what if his ski had hit my head.
Bought one when I got home and worn one ever since.
I prefer it and I don’t find mine too hot at all. The only time I’d take it off is if I was skinning but it wouldn’t be unbearable leaving it on.
You do need one with good venting though and I’ve found the cheap ones don’t have very good venting in comparison. I’ve got a Sweet Protection and it’s nice and light and comfortable in all temperatures.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
2016. I realized I was being hypocritical making my kids wear one, and I'm anal about bike helmets...

I like helmets if they are comfortable, sort of. Still prefer just wearing a hat...the issue for me is that the top of the helmet is always pushing down my goggles. However, if you ride a chair lift with your kids enough, one of them will slam the safety bar down on your head sooner or later...so I can live with a helmet.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bergmeister wrote:
And I know the Americans were traditionally years ahead of us Europeans in donning protective headwear.

I'm American. So I don my protective head gear back in 2007'ish. And at that point, I was no longer the minority, though I was joined more by snowboarders than skiers.

The reason I was donning helmet was to do with snowboarding. I was learning to board for a change, after 2 decade of skiing. It didn't take too many knocks on the back side of my head before I ran to the shop to hire a helmet. But after I got the helmet, and after I gave up on boarding, I found the helmet were a lot warmer than my hat. Nor does it fall off even if I take a tumble (which I did from time to time). So I went on a more serious hunt for a lid that fits me and looks "cool". It took a little bit of effort, as in those days there weren't a wide range to choose from. But by the end of that season, I had a nice new shining lid which stayed on my head much of the season, in place of my previously trusted hat.

I still ski helmet-less in spring some of the time. When it's mid-May and 70 degrees, even the best vented helmets are too warm. And given I've skied 20 some years without hitting my head on the piste, I don't feel all that different now.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think it was 9 or 10 years ago....and IIRC in Espace Killy, around 65 - 70% were in helmets back then.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Week after Natasha died ... OH insisted ... Half price in a march sale in Chamonix ...
Wouldn't dream of not wearing one now !
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Around 20 yrs for me now. I bought one the day after sliding headfirst on my back into the forest at high speed. I knew I had to roll over somehow and did, hitting a 2' diameter fir with my knee, breaking the patella. You tell me how my skull/spine would have fared. Thought I would hate it, but its just a hat with some additional protection. I wear it every day, period. They are indispensable for slow speed falls on hard snow, but they are not magic. For real disasters, they just keep the pieces together in one place for easier cleanup by the authorities.

Reminds me of a plea to the world on behalf of us tall people: before you yank the safety bar down and whack my helmeted head, how 'bout a quick warning first? I have to duck. Thanks much.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think I first wore my helmet in mid 90's, probably 95. At the time as someone said, I would rather look uncool than end up a dribbling fool. Thankfully I have only had to need its benefit on a few lifts and never actually needed it whilst skiing but the whole point is that you never know when you will need it!

I bought quite an expensive one and it is very comfortable and has lasted all this time. Just like my car seat belt, I wouldn't feel right if I wasn't wearing it.

To add, I would never compromise my helmet by attaching a camera to it or modify it in any way.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
TCSC47 wrote:

I bought quite an expensive one and it is very comfortable and has lasted all this time.

I wouldn't be so sure... UV degrades the plastic so it may or may not have much 'strength' left.
snow report
Must have been, as so many others have said, when my daughter started, so about 2004.
I do recall trying to learn to board, and getting an almightly thump on the head without one (spent the rest of the afternoon in a darkend room nursing a headache) which almost certainly tipped the balance.

Now on my third: wouldn't be without it now.
snow conditions
2010-ish when we first took the kids skiing. We'd had a break for five or six years (the lost years) while they were small and when we got back to the Alps suddenly everyone was wearing them. As a commuting cyclist (then) and club cricketer (more occasionally now) it wasn't a huge change. I am yet to have an accident which has merited wearing one (long may that continue) but I definitely don't want my children to get the idea that's its optional for them so keep the habit up
snow conditions
Being still relativity new to skiing and having learnt initially at Hemel (where you to wear one for lessons), me and the OH have always worn one. In fact, they were one of our first purchases as we didn't want to be wearing second hand helmets (not through snobbery may I add! But from knowing exactly what the helmet has been through and that it's been well looked after).

I personally don't buy into the whole "wearing a helmet makes you more dangerous as you take more risks". For me, it's a no brainer (pun intended). Having seen my sisters life saved by her helmet whilst cycling, I would never not wear one.
ski holidays
martinm wrote:
TCSC47 wrote:

I bought quite an expensive one and it is very comfortable and has lasted all this time.

I wouldn't be so sure... UV degrades the plastic so it may or may not have much 'strength' left.

That is a good point. I'm looking at my helmet now and it doesn't look like the construction of, say, a motorbike helmet where the strength is in a poly-carbonate casing that relies upon a scratch free or otherwise undamaged surface. There is a thin plastic covering on top of what looks like high density expanded poly-something. But I do have a couple of scuff marks.

Also considering UV damage, 23 years of skiing is only 23 weeks of exposure, admittedly probably at a high level so would that be sufficient UV to do damage?

But you have got me thinking now and I need to look into this further. I really like my helmet though. Pity to loose it, but if needs be -- .
latest report
Probably the first year I switched to skiing after snowboarding, after being forced by my wife who fell backwards on a snowboard (whilst stationary on her toe edge - never let her forget! Laughing) and ticket her arm across the small of her back. She snapped it, and smacked her head on some computer snow/ice.

Have done ever since - tbh the odd timenive taken it off and skied a bit without it I’ve felt naked.

I do like to try to ski beyond my ability because I’m stupid and always push myself - so feels natural to have it I guess.
latest report
TCSC47 wrote:
martinm wrote:
TCSC47 wrote:

That is a good point. I'm looking at my helmet now and it doesn't look like the construction of, say, a motorbike helmet where the strength is in a poly-carbonate casing that relies upon a scratch free or otherwise undamaged surface. There is a thin plastic covering on top of what looks like high density expanded poly-something. But I do have a couple of scuff marks.

Also considering UV damage, 23 years of skiing is only 23 weeks of exposure, admittedly probably at a high level so would that be sufficient UV to do damage?

But you have got me thinking now and I need to look into this further. I really like my helmet though. Pity to loose it, but if needs be -- .

True, but don’t forget the foam will also deform to disperse the energy, much like a crumple zone.

I’m not disagreeing that the plastic will degrade.... in that regard, boots are in the same boat Smile

Thy said, I’ve had a bike helmet with more use than 23 weeks (albeit in cloudy, rainy wales Smile )
snow report
marksymoo wrote:
Probably the first year I switched to skiing after snowboarding, after being forced by my wife who fell backwards on a snowboard (whilst stationary on her toe edge - never let her forget! Laughing) and ticket her arm across the small of her back. She snapped it, and smacked her head on some computer snow/ice.

Have done ever since - tbh the odd timenive taken it off and skied a bit without it I’ve felt naked.

I do like to try to ski beyond my ability because I’m stupid and always push myself - so feels natural to have it I guess.
Ouch. Hope better half is better now.
Re taking off helmet and feeling naked --- ditto what you said!
Re, your skiing style -- ditto again.
snow conditions
I can't remember exactly but many years now and like others it was falling backwards learning to snow board that triggered it.
My kids have always worn them and we all wouldn't be without them.

I went skiing with a friend who said at the start of the week "I don't ski fast enough to need a helmet"
On the last day we clocked him on ski tracks at 93 kmh.
ski holidays
dont wear one piste skiing. off piste have been wearing one since about 2012
ski holidays
2009, went to austria and the few brits in our hotel were about the only ones in the resort without.

Can't imagine not wearing one now, plus has added benefit of drop-in audio
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy