Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When Did You First Wear A Ski Helmet?

Poster: A snowHead
About 2002, first time skiing gates.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
2004. Sittting in Rocks bar having breakfast - early as we were racing on the Lauberhorn that morning. I was suddenly struck by a feeling that something was going to go badly wrong. Popped over the road to the sports shop and returned to the bar minus CHF200, but plus a bright red Giro helmet. I've worn it ever since.
Luckily I survived the race.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
About four years ago. Reasonable priced helmets in Costco was the clincher

Fell over that holiday on a hard piste - head bounced! I was glad I'd had the helmet on

PS if you have this happen to you - strongly consider replacing the helmet!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So, apart from the odd one or two (presumably racing related) who wore lids in the late 60s/early 70s, this thread seems to have established that the 2000's on when this fad/safety aid (delete as you wish !!) gained most traction among ordinary punters?

Broadly similar to when cycle helmets became popular (IIRC it was around 2003 or 2004 that their use in the TdF/Giro became pretty much compulsory), and as we know trends in the tours are swiftly followed by commuters.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
2010 in Ischgl when I thought I'd "give it a try". Can't imagine skiing without one now.

Last season I took my old one piece ski suit to Austria to see how that felt compared to up to date skiwear. Bad, is the short answer. So time moves on, some things get better and others just get different.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Must have been about 2005 ish. Had a bunch of boarders in group, all with hekmets. One by one we all succumbed over the next couple of years. On to my third, with flip down visor now. Now that was a revelation,, my Oakleys are unlikely to be used again.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have never worn one, I like a good wooly hat, the dafter the better. It means my wife can spot me on the slopes very easily Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Must have been about 2003. Skied in Whistler the prior season and most people were wearing them. I was used to wearing a helmet for cycling and thought I'd try one. Found it comfortable and practical and have worn one 95%+ of ski days since then.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
After it dawned on me that I can ski as in control as I like but some daft person is still liable to crash into me.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A few years ago. Reason I held off until then was that I thought they'd be expensive and uncomfortable (and that the chance of a head injury was pretty low). In the end they were much more affordable and comfortable than I imagined. Also, even if unlikely, a head injury could have pretty serious consequences.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
since 2004 tho sometimes earlier when learning to snowboard or when racing as a kid. I was first in family to get one, the rest of the family soon followed when they saw how i was fine after small bumps and they would moan! would never not wear one now. technology, improvements and cost have made them much better than from when I first started to wear one. also peer pressure is a funny thing when it comes to helmets!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Can't remember certainly wearing one in 2011.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@telford_mike, I first wore a helmet in Wengen in 2008. I did the speed trap thingy at the bottom of the Lauberhorn which went well until I hit a bump at the bottom. I crashed at speed and one ski caught me right on the side of the helmet. Just got up and walked away but know without the helmet it would’ve been a different story. Always worn one since.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@albob, @Alastair, @Simon94, Another non wearer too - totally hate headgear, carry a hat if its bad but not worn it. - 25 still bare head - but I do still have hair Toofy Grin

I really do love the helmet threads though, and think of the irony at times Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bones wrote:
@albob, @Alastair, @Simon94, Another non wearer too - totally hate headgear, carry a hat if its bad but not worn it. - 25 still bare head - but I do still have hair Toofy Grin

I really do love the helmet threads though, and think of the irony at times Madeye-Smiley

One of my ski buddies occasionally wears a hat (if it is very cold). He has very little hair Laughing . He's a big guy though so clearly runs hot and finds the bare head a good way to keep cool.
ski holidays
Not long after meeting and skiing with @Richard_Sideways, so about 10 years ago. With regards to kids wearing them, when they were little and before they were on the snow, we let them play with all the kit so they could understand more about why each bit was needed. Youngest sideways has a very cool easy for a then 3 year old to manage magnetic clip helmet from nutcase which says "I love my brain" on it. Can't argue with that really!
ski holidays
geepee wrote:
@telford_mike, I first wore a helmet in Wengen in 2008. I did the speed trap thingy at the bottom of the Lauberhorn which went well until I hit a bump at the bottom. I crashed at speed and one ski caught me right on the side of the helmet. Just got up and walked away but know without the helmet it would’ve been a different story. Always worn one since.

That bump's almost always there - It's caught me out a few times. I think people try to brake at the bottom of the hill and this creates a little mogul. Anyhow, what was your speed? Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
always29 wrote:
Not long after meeting and skiing with @Richard_Sideways, so about 10 years ago. With regards to kids wearing them, when they were little and before they were on the snow, we let them play with all the kit so they could understand more about why each bit was needed. Youngest sideways has a very cool easy for a then 3 year old to manage magnetic clip helmet from nutcase which says "I love my brain" on it. Can't argue with that really!

So was this Richard_Sideways influence or a reaction to the way he snowboards?
ski holidays
Last year after I saw a snowboarder who wasn’t wearing one crash and hit his head whilst falling backward at Squaw Valley. Myself and my helmet wearing son were first to get to him. He was convulsing and not responsive. The chopper came to take him to get proper care.
ski holidays
I was another one post Natasha Richardson. A particularly rocky Scotland trip got me to thinking...
Used to wearing one on the motorbike anyway, plus for climbing &winter mountaineering, and it keeps my ears warm...
snow report
Grizzler wrote:
... it keeps my ears warm...

+1
snow conditions
2015/16 season , and Europe had far more helmet wearers than where we ski in the USA

Then again Utah still have snowboarders banned at 2 resorts
latest report
They protect you when being bashed on the back of the head by rogue chairlifts.
ski holidays
Must be about 10 years ago now. Mainly to keep head warm! Thing is have ridden horses for almost 40 years and wouldn't think about not wearing hat.
latest report
i"m claustrophobic, i tried wearing a helmet once but got very panicky, i just didnt like my head being enclosed, when i took the helmet off i felt i could breathe more easily, so its no helmets for me.
snow report
lpsmc1 wrote:
Must be about 10 years ago now. Mainly to keep head warm! Thing is have ridden horses for almost 40 years and wouldn't think about not wearing hat.

We ride here , yet when we have ridden in the USA (even decent ranches) they never or rarely offer helmets

You can have a 10 gallon hat

Watch the pro Rodeo tour , it's still common not to see helmets worn ... but they are nutters

Most American Rodeo you won't see anything other than a Stetson
ski holidays
I think probably 2012.
ski holidays
mmm - about 2001 I think. I concussed myself jumping on a dry slope and boyfriend (now husband) insisted if I was going to jump I had to wear a helmet. Then in 2002 I got into mountainboarding and you really really have to wear a helmet doing that. And when the mountainboarders went snowboarding, of course we wore our helmets because we were used to wearing them, and they had all the best stickers on Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snow report
Yes I know what you mean @harvsurrey about the USA. It's choice but I guess also what you grow up with. I never wear a back protector riding (unless xc and rules state I have to) but know lots of people who do. It's same/similar argument for and against in riding as skiing. ( personally I think they throw your natural balance) .Funnily my son wears back protector skiing/boarding but not in a horse
ski holidays
lpsmc1 wrote:
Funnily my son wears back protector skiing/boarding but not in a horse

Shocked

Might be to do with non-vigorous thrusting... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
2009, after Natasha Richardson died. It scared me that it was such a simple accident.

Also I'd had a couple of people crash into me on different holidays and decided it would be safer. I now much prefer it to woolly hats which never kept my ears warm!
snow conditions
@telford_mike, No idea on the speed as it wasn’t recorded due to the crash. Shocked
latest report
Haven't worn a hemet yet. Will I be the only non helmet wearer at the pre season bash?
ski holidays
@Spud9, no snowHead
latest report
Think it was 2013. Kept getting asked by my daughter why I wasn't wearing one when she had to. I was skeptical that my head my fry as I "run quite hot" with a hat on but have to my surprise never had that with my cheap Aldi helmet.
ski holidays
Hmmm....we were very early adopters in mountain biking and had some experiences which proved the value of wearing them in that context - mainly waking up after an eight hour amnesiac period with a consultant standing at the end of my bed in Brighton General holding up my helmet saying ‘this saved your life’. So I wore a Boeri bonedome (shorty) from 2001 - and had to endure my partner humming the Dambusters Theme in every uplift. Git.
snow report
I think it was 2011 , I remember getting on the ski bus and we were the only 2 people not wearing helmets, the bus was full, it was then we decided it was definitely time. I hated it at first but now would never ski without it, it feels naked without Very Happy
snow conditions
Didn't bother when I was learning back in the 90's. Had kids and resumed skiing and wouldn't have considered NOT wearing them then. So about 2012.
snow report
Believe my second ever ski holiday as a 9 year old in 1997, was in Lake Tahoe and after having earned the nickname "crazy Joe" the previous winter in my first ski school class, my parents decided it was a good idea... I wasn't happy with it but I did it. I stopped in my teens when I was old enough to ignore my parents, started again probably 7 or 8 years ago now when they became compulsory in some Euro resorts if you wanted to go in the terrain park.

I wouldn't ski without one now, I just don't see the downside
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy