Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bogner

Poster: A snowHead
I've generously sorted my whole family out with these jackets. One of the many benefits of living in the middle of an earthquake screwed city is that it's really easy to get cheap high quality outerwear Very Happy They go alright over the top of a Swanndri if the weather packs in.

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@hang11...much like one of the benefits of living in a city with a lot of parking restrictions Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Or roadworks. Looks like you’re onto something...

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BobinCH, He is indeed...I just saw welding visors going cheap on screwfix site!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We also live in the world capital of traffic cones. There are millions of the things.

The welding visors could possibly be a useful addition to the family's helmets

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bergmeister wrote:
I've just read that the founder's daughter has married the son of a former West Brom footballer and will be renaming the brand, "Bognor Regis." wink

taxi for Bermeister
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Recently spotted this little beauty

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Dave of the Marmottes, I could see yourself in that mate wink

When you in Anton this season btw?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dunno yet - when are you doing your post Xmas residencies? I'm squatting in INN shortly. thinking maybe a weekend lateish March also.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Team Bogner our in force today!

snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@BobinCH, ...as once was said ‘...Bogner is produced by a bunch of chimpanzees having a knife-fight in a clothing factory...’.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@BobinCH, Yikes...………….. I'd prefer MUCH better skis if I had a Bogner Jacket...………………………….. shame on 2014 Atomic skis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In the 80's I used to aspire to own a Bogner ski suit, but couldn't afford it. By the time i could I wouldn't be seen dead in it. All that American high school, baseball/football logo name & numbers. Absolute crap.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Photo from 2005, my beloved, extremely plain, navy blue Bogner onesie. They were nice in those days.

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Hurtle, Green poles ad a blue onesie. Were you on the Vodka Happy
snow conditions
@Hurtle, styling it out!!
snow report
@GlasgowCyclops, no I wasn't! I miss those lovely poles too; they matched my first pair of (skinny) skis.
snow conditions
Love my Norrrona onsie and wear it on powder and windy days. It keeps you snug and warm - no wind or snow anywhere it shouldn’t be. The hood is also excellent. In these conditions, i feel smug wearing it and everyone else thinks I look silly. Not sure who is the slave to fashion here.
ski holidays
@SkiingQuinHat, Norrona? No beef with Norrona, quite the opposite! This thread is about Bogner...
latest report
@SkiingQuinHat, Yep I have Norrona Lofoten trousers. Get the jacket as well and they Zip together to make a onesie Happy
latest report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

Flashback there to being in Vail during Mexican week.

I have never seen so many dead animals on the backs of people than when I was there (and also similar in Aspen). Almost exclusively worn by Central / South American women (and a few men). I'm far from being a member of PETA but it was so prevalent it was quite shocking to be honest

snow conditions
@BobinCH,
Quote:

No beef with Norrona, quite the opposite!

Are you entirely sure about that?

snow conditions
First, let me say that 'to each their own' and it's your money so spend it as you wish.

However, personally, I would put Bogner alongside Prada, Moncler and other 'High end fashion' ski wear that is actually pretty useless technically.

I was in a resort on a cold, snowy day with a large group on a conference. Many of the attendees (all intermediate level skiers funnily enough) were wearing very expensive high end fashion brands. They all got damp and cold and called it a day early. The advanced skiers were all wearing kit from Arcteryx, Norrona, Marmot and other 'technical brands' and we stayed warm and dry and got a great day of skiing whilst wearing kit that cost, on average, about a quarter of what the others had spent.

So, personally, I'd never buy such kit as I like to ski whatever the weather and don't care about fashion. If you want to look good and don't expect to ski in inclement weather or off-piste then it's fine.
latest report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@BobinCH,
Quote:

No beef with Norrona, quite the opposite!

Are you entirely sure about that?

A few abominations there too but at least it’s the exception rather than the rule!
snow report
jedster wrote:
Is Spyder any better? (ducks for cover)

Both will keep you nice and warm and dry on the slopes of course. Just the high price and acquired taste I'm questioning.

I don't think Bogner kit will .... it's designed to look good at the expense of technical capability. I don't know for sure but I couldn't find any Gore approved Bogner jackets on the Gore-tex site. I would imagine that all the seams, patches and multiple panels mean that they wouldn't pass the necessary waterproof tests that Gore insist on before you can use their logo on an item.
ski holidays
FWIW Mrs TT has two Bogner jackets, one for when she's in the mood for turning heads (shocking pink and white with lots of embellishments and badges), and one for cold weather (plain white). The latter is the warmest jacket she owns, and she has numerous Killy, Phenix and Sportalm ones. One of the most important features, apart from the colour of course, is the fur around the collar.
latest report
FWIW, mine remained warm and waterproof for 20+ years and was blessedly fur-free.
latest report
I just checked the Bogner website, and what's posted here isn't representative of what I saw there, fashion-wise. It's not that different from other brands, if you compare current season stuff.
Those bright overalls from Norrona are hard to beat.

Quote:
advanced skiers were all wearing kit from Arcteryx, Norrona, Marmot and other 'technical brands' and we stayed warm and dry ...

Aye, but they would not wear "no brand" gear, even if it was as good or better. You need the brand to say I'm "advanced", if you see what I mean.
The whole marketing push from Arc etc is a very specific "hard man of the mountains" thing, which is very different from some of the European brands,
which are more on-piste/ race focused.

Snowboard brands work a bit differently. Burton has both "fashion" lines and "technical" ranges.
The brand's the same, but the cheaper lines are more extreme from a fashion perspective and not intended to last as long as the AK stuff.

Bogner presumably is there to tell people that you can afford it. I'm not sure what you do if you can both afford it, and can also ski. Spyder, perhaps?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Bogner kit ... .... it's designed to look good

On the evidence of this thread, that point is most definitely moot.
snow conditions
philwig wrote:
I'm not sure what you do if you can both afford it, and can also ski. Spyder, perhaps?

Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
Quote:

I'm not sure what you do if you can both afford it, and can also ski.

What should a mediocre skier who's a cheapskate wear? Particularly if they are trying to disguise the fact.
I'm asking for a friend you understand.
snow report
T Bar wrote:
Quote:

What should a mediocre skier who's a cheapskate wear? Particularly if they are trying to disguise the fact.

Superdry Toofy Grin
snow conditions
T Bar wrote:
Quote:

The same 'high tech' brands ... but bought at the end of the season from Sportpursuit (or others) at 50% off Happy
snow conditions
philwig wrote:
Aye, but they would not wear "no brand" gear, even if it was as good or better. You need the brand to say I'm "advanced", if you see what I mean.
The whole marketing push from Arc etc is a very specific "hard man of the mountains" thing, which is very different from some of the European brands,
which are more on-piste/ race focused.

Well, maybe, but I have always loved Arcteryx and actually liked it better when they only had a very very discreet logo that you could easily miss. My first Sidewinder had no branding that was clearly visible at all but, lately, I've noticed that they are getting more prominent.

And, probably more pertinently, that you can't really get a much cheaper version of a Goretex Pro jacket due to the licencing and testing fees from Gore. It's only the higher end brands that can afford to play that game.
snow report
martinm wrote:

Superdry Toofy Grin

My ski trousers are Superdry, they seem fine. I bought them because I wanted orange trousers. Am I a cheapskate?
snow conditions
Quote:

I was in a resort on a cold, snowy day with a large group on a conference. Many of the attendees (all intermediate level skiers funnily enough) were wearing very expensive high end fashion brands. They all got damp and cold and called it a day early. The advanced skiers were all wearing kit from Arcteryx, Norrona, Marmot and other 'technical brands' and we stayed warm and dry and got a great day of skiing whilst wearing kit that cost, on average, about a quarter of what the others had spent.

And all the ski bums that could outski all the "advanced skiers" were wearing gear that cost about a quarter of what the 'technical brands' cost.

There's a lot of snobbery in ski clothing. Yes arcteryx has some good gear, but there are plenty of breathable waterproof materials that are not 3 layer goretex! The majority don't need such high performance gear.
snow report
Insulated flannel shirt does the job perfectly well most days. Costs about 30 bux Very Happy

Never really understood the attraction of looking like a bag of skittles.
snow report
boarder2020 wrote:
And all the ski bums that could outski all the "advanced skiers" were wearing gear that cost about a quarter of what the 'technical brands' cost.

There's a lot of snobbery in ski clothing. Yes arcteryx has some good gear, but there are plenty of breathable waterproof materials that are not 3 layer goretex! The majority don't need such high performance gear.

In the park, yes, backcountry and ski touring I don’t see much other kit ... Once you start sweating hard and are stuck out whatever the weather nothing else comes close in my opinion but to each their own

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 13-03-19 8:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

In the park, yes, backcountry and ski touring I don’t see much other kit ... Once you start sweating hard and are stuck out whatever the weather nothing else comes close in my opinion but to each their own

Well I would put ski tourers in the minority of skiers, the average skier is only doing lift served downhill. The trick is not to sweat in the first place. I find vents more important than material. I actually have a gortex jacket (got a cheap deal) - I'm not against gortex or "technical clothing" it is good, but I would never pay that much for clothing. Plenty of cheap gear that's more than adequate for me and that includes touring.

The best skier and most of the lifties I know are currently wearing kinko gloves (https://www.amazon.com/Kinco-Pig-Skin-Glove-Gloves/dp/B01CFWIRIC?tag=amz07b-21) which they all seem to think are better than any ski gloves they've ever had. Of course no flashy name or goretex, but seem to do the job.

Could probably put together an adequate whole ski outfit from decathlon for the price of an arcteryx jacket.
snow conditions
This looks interesting... https://www.stellarequipment.com/ch/price-model
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy