Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Not another helmet debate!

Poster: A snowHead
waitrose is STW's TJ and I claim my £5
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
[quote="DrLawn"]@Ghost Dog good question ..
I'd like to try a helmet with a visor, I wear varifocal glasses ...
but is this getting even more needles clobber involved in my skiing?

I bought a new helmet last year (Bolle £40 from Costco) then saw the Bolle Visor one online and thought, I could keep my varifocals on under this. Works really well. Only prob is if you go out with the medium/high glare visor and conditions change. So I sometime carry my low light oakies anyway. But mostly I keep the low light visor on the helmet and have my Transitions Varifocals on underneath. Wouldn't go back. Mrs Dr Ghost Dog has just acquired an incredibly light Bolle helmet with visor too.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@OTS, Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cool
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So it IS another helmet debate! rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Theodolite sucking wanka post.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
telford_mike wrote:
Helmets save lives.

So do ambulances and lifeboats but I wouldn't wear one of them
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@dsoutar, I don't think you're supposed to. Do you wear a seatbelt while driving or flying?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not snow related but about 20 years ago we had this debate amongst our cycling friends. A chap who I've been friends with for my entire life and who's the father of my best buddies had flatly refused to wear a helmet whilst cycling since the year dot, despite putting in 200 miles a week on road and trail.

We (the youngsters) were in the grip of the mid 90's helmet fad. Giro were a stylish company and just getting into their stride, particularly for MTB, and suddenly helmets became cool. Might have all started after seeing GT factory team rider Hans Rey stunting at a bike show whilst wearing one. We all wanted one. Finally, a cool choice vs. the 90's Britax buckets from Halfords (Integra model..sheesh).

After a ton of pressure from us all over months and months, he finally relented and bought a Giro Hammerhead SC which I can picture in my head, even now.

Two weeks after buying it, and we remember it well, he fell whilst road cycling and the rear of his helmet struck the edge of the kerb barely half a mile from his house, smashing his helmet in two. Without one, he'd have been dead but instead got up and limped away.

We never really debated the subject again after that.

I know the whole death vs. paralysis argument and cases like Michael Schumacher do really send shivers up your spine, but by all accounts he had a very serious impact so it's extremely unlikely that would happen imo.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Recent report on injuries and ski helmets posing some interesting conundrums

Tl:dr
Helmets protect against injury
Helmets encourage more people to take risks
https://www.planetski.eu/news/12328

Sounds a bit like the Auto Deployment Device debate in sport parachuting
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Where else could I mount my GoPro?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I much prefer my good old 210 GS Lange skis to the current trend of small carvers.

Went without a helmet for years as others did. Worn one for 4/5 years (same with cycling when I took it up),now wouldnt be without one. Strangely enough, my step kids have worn helmets for over 30 years, way before the where fashionable for all.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've never crashed my car and drive sensibly. I would happily drive without a seatbelt. .....if it was just me on the road.

Same applies to the mountain and wearing a helmet.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AL9000 wrote:
Do you wear a seatbelt while driving or flying?

Pretty sure the ones on planes aren't doing much other than keeping your body in the right seat.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Long story short...

Went skiing on a very flat light day
Had wrong goggles on
Couldn't see shadows/countour/anything (yes, it was a bad idea)
Skied off a ledge into a flat catwalk area
Since I had no idea that the ground left my feet, I landed face first (witnesses told me it looked like I dove head first into a pool)
Was able to regain my composure and then ski back down to pay any amount of money for correct goggles
I don't even want to think what would have happened to me had I not worn a helmet

1) wear the correct goggles
2) wear a helmet
latest report
same thing happened me last friday, but I went down the side of the mountain in deep snow, but what if there were rocks? My DH is buying me a helmet for christmas! I would rather rose prizm goggles from Oakley Cool
snow conditions
ItaloSkier wrote:
Had wrong goggles on

1) Take the goggle off
2) Ski very slowly (so that when you DO ski off a ledge into a flat area, you still land on your feet!) to the bottom to change (buy) a correct goggle.

Helmet is suppose to help protect the brain. But many of the story justifying helmet I see here seem to be from people who don't have a brain worth protecting to begin with. rolling eyes
snow report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
AL9000 wrote:
Do you wear a seatbelt while driving or flying?

Pretty sure the ones on planes aren't doing much other than keeping your body in the right seat.

Clear-air turbulence, old boy, you'd be glad of the belt if you hit a pocket of that.
snow conditions
Mega thread bump.

Best to buckle up when seated; especially in small planes.

@ItaloSkier, Similar happened to me once. Flat light and didn't see the edge at all. Disorientating to say the least.
snow conditions
abc wrote:
ItaloSkier wrote:
Had wrong goggles on

1) Take the goggle off
2) Ski very slowly (so that when you DO ski off a ledge into a flat area, you still land on your feet!) to the bottom to change (buy) a correct goggle.

Helmet is suppose to help protect the brain. But many of the story justifying helmet I see here seem to be from people who don't have a brain worth protecting to begin with. rolling eyes

Appreciate the eye roll.

I admit everything I did leading up to the point that I skied off the ledge was poor decision-making on my part. Live and learn. I was in Obergurgl with the bulk of terrain above tree line so it was just a bad day for everything to go wrong. That said, that was 2016 and I learned. I didnt make the poor decisions because I wore a helmet but my helmet kept my dumb moves from having worse consequences.
snow report
Helmets on Groomed Slopes injure and somtimes kill people .
snow conditions
@ItaloSkier, I totally agree "protections" such as helmet, airbag, crumble zone etc. can turn out to be helpful AFTER we made poor judgements. Sometimes, it even save our brain to learn from our mistakes. And it's also quite likely to be helpful when someone ELSE made a poor judgement and the helmet wearer ended up bearing the consequences too.

I've been wearing a helmet for many years. It had saved me from more severe scratches in a few times when I made less than perfect decisions (mostly deflecting tree branches that turned out to be bigger than I anticipated). But I'm pretty sure I would have been ok in those few cases too, perhaps lost a few more drops of blood or a bigger scar. There's nothing bad about wearing helmet. I'm totally for it. Just that many of the so called "justification" for wearing one sounds so far fetched and irrational. Prompting me to ask if there's a brain worth protecting inside those helmets people put so much faith in. (Not your case, obviously. You clearly see the irony)

In short, helmet's value is often overly inflated. On the other hand, just because something is over-hyped, doesn't diminish its (however tiny) true value. I'm merely pointing out the big stretch of grey in between the black and white people tend to paint.
latest report
I assume all those who argue against doubtfully against the helmet are of fixed mind?
ski holidays
abc wrote:

Actually it protects the skull. The brain gets a good old shake up regardless. But I agree with where you are going with this in that poor choices can't be rectified by head protection and the helmet industry has to carry some of the blame for selling helmets as 'safety' when they are merely protection that may or may not work depending on the circumstances. It's why you see little skittles (a.k.a. kids) in the middle of icy and busy home runs - but it's OK because Mummy and Daddy equipped them with a helmet with fluffy ears.
ski holidays
The one thing not mentioned here. My insurance is dependent upon wearing a helmet. So like it or not, one has to be worn. On a claim in 2017, I had to confirm it had been worn. One small point for on this one - a fellow chair traveller managed to get their tip stuck in my rear binding, span me round & ‘catapulted’ me backwards & I smacked down on a sheet ice ramp getting off the chair. Along with a very bruised sacroiliac & ribs I smacked my head a treat. I have no doubt my injuries would have been much worse without the helmet.
latest report
I like the idea of a "crumble zone". Rhubarb is my favourite Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
I remember this discussion with my ex wife when she scoffed at me buying and wearing a helmet as that wasn’t needed and I was just doing it as I didn’t know better (me a complete beginner, she a good snowboarder on the slopes).

Day 2 she wipes out on the snowboard jump and smashed her head into the ground I hear at lunch. Strangely enough she came back to the house that night with a new helmet purchase - apparently she had also narrowly avoided putting her head into a rail later on in the day with a last second head tuck.
snow report
halfhand wrote:
I like the idea of a "crumble zone". Rhubarb is my favourite Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Apple for me. Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pruman wrote:
abc wrote:

Actually it protects the skull. The brain gets a good old shake up regardless. But I agree with where you are going with this in that poor choices can't be rectified by head protection and the helmet industry has to carry some of the blame for selling helmets as 'safety' when they are merely protection that may or may not work depending on the circumstances. It's why you see little skittles (a.k.a. kids) in the middle of icy and busy home runs - but it's OK because Mummy and Daddy equipped them with a helmet with fluffy ears.

+1

I wear a Helmet on motorcycles, but do absolutely everything to avoid crashing them. Of course it's there for the eventuality of accident but it should definitely not influence the wearer's behaviour in thinking they are any less vulnerable to injury.
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
Helmets on Groomed Slopes injure and somtimes kill people .

Are you saying you've injured or killed someone Nige? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
About 5 years ago, my then 11 year old fell off his bike, cracking the front of his head on a sleeping policeman. He was wearing a helmet, however the impact was on his face. He fractured his skull in several places and spent 2 days on a high supervision ward.
Do I take the fact that his wearing a helmet didn’t prevent these injuries therefore there is no need for one? Definitely not.

I started wearing a helmet skiing because if I don’t, he doesn’t see why he should (fair enough). Aside from anything else, it stays on better than any woolly hat I’ve ever owned Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

Are you saying you've injured or killed someone Nige?

only on fortnite I would suspect. He doesn't get out in the real world very much.
snow conditions
I'm sick of the grief & questions I get these days because I don't wear a helmet, there are many reasons for this but life is too short to debate further.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 5-12-19 21:18; edited 1 time in total
snow report
tangowaggon wrote:
I'm sick of the greif & questions I get these days because I don't wear a helmet, there are many reasons for this but life is too short to debate further.

Me too, although these days I just have a bit of sport.Usually pretend someone has stolen it Very Happy

Live and let live, I say.
snow report
Can only see it getting worse as those who don't become the minority more and more.
snow conditions
Quote:

those who don't become the minority

Been the case for several years now, probably 95/5 if not more.
snow conditions
Absolutely, and the figures will become more extreme as the youth all wear them and the old dude who skis down in jeans smoking a pipe dies off.
snow conditions
Tazz2bme wrote:
Aside from anything else, it stays on better than any woolly hat I’ve ever owned Very Happy

Totally! Warmer too.

I had my helmet "stolen" (forgot to pick up after skiing, but no one turned it in to Lost and Found Sad) one time. The next day, I skied ONE RUN in a my wooly hat. Was so cold I had to go hire one immediately!

But I can see those who are always too hot would really dislike it. Worse in spring time.
snow report
Wouldn't consider getting on the T-bars at Glenshee without a helmet. Have you seen the way the guy in front releases the T-bar at the top? It's a swinging pick-axe!
latest report
Great use of Gish Gallop here by the OP with these half baked arguments.

Wear one because don't trust others not to ski into me.

Plus it's another excuse to spend more money on Ski gear.

Win Win for me.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy