Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing at Christmas

Poster: A snowHead
Hi I’m looking at taking my daughter Skiing over Christmas just wondering where the best place to go in Europe she’s only skied once before so somewhere for beginners and good family resort thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to Snowheads @kev1977. There are many better times to ski than Christmas but nothing better to do at Christmas than ski. If there's just two of you it might be beat to wait and book at the last minute.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Obergurgl is a good bet for early season. Was there for xmas a few years ago: reasonable area of slopes but not much terrifying stuff (and what there is is easily avoidable), mainly blues cruise. Nice quiet village, lots of stuff to do with kids, atmosphere jolly but not rowdy, very good snow record (which seems to be becoming increasingly important over the xmas/ny period in recent years).

https://www.weathertoski.co.uk/european-resorts-a-z/obergurgl-austria/

Only downside (as with all high, snowsure type places unfortunately) is the weather could lead to you being socked in for a day or two - but you have the option of bussing down to solden (not many trees but more than obergurgl) or a bit further to the excellent Aqua Dome at Langenfeld

https://www.aqua-dome.at/en/thermal-spa/
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome.

Try Val d'Isere in France, or Zermatt in Switzerland.

They both have flat(ish) trails up-high (in case of bad snow).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you don't mind the cold, Finland is an option. Snowsure , christmassy feel, things to do other than skiing and slopes are kind. Nothing terrifying.
We are trying Norway this Christmas. We have skied Christmas the last 5 years. Yes it's early season, yes it's cold but beats England!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dolomites or one of the reliable Austrian snow making resorts ?

Pretty much guaranteed skiing and sheltered from windy weather and poor visibility.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ski2 in Champoluc have really good British instructors for their ski school and a good range of hotel options in a very pretty village.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@kev1977, do a search on Amazon for a copy of where to ski and snowboard. It is an excellent book but sadly no longer published. Things change such as new lifts built but geography doesn't. What was a suitable resort in 2010 is still a suitable resort (after all many of us here haven't been to more than a dozen resorts in 9 years)

Spend many happy hours reading it and planning.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Obergurgl as previously mentioned, with 2 important points:
1. It's a small village with basically nothing to do outside the hotel. Twice a week they have an extremely small christmas market.
2.Neighbouring Solden is better for beginners IMO, with wider blue pistes and more diverse offers on and off mountain. They have the same skipass and frequent ski buses connect them, but in bad weather (thick snow) you may get stucked so don't adventure to the other one from the beginning/leave early.
Val d'Isere has beautiful green and blue pistes from Bellevarde. Might be a gamble with the weather: strong wind/visibility challenges for beginners for being high and treeless, thus exposed. Like Obergurgl.
Les Arcs 1800/Vallandry would be my choice this Christmas for France, blue pistes running in between trees= sheer happiness
If an exceptional snow rich December - Les Houches.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 24-05-19 11:16; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all the replies I think I might look into somewhere in Austria Who is the best travel agents to book with thanks
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@drporat, where is “Les Hoches” and why is it exceptional?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
@drporat, where is “Les Hoches” and why is it exceptional?

I think you understood I meant Les Houches, didn't check spelling before sending it.
And I recommended it for beginners but only in an exceptionally snow rich December.
You've been there more times than me. What do you think?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@drporat, I misunderstood your comment as to mean that a December holiday in Les Houches would be exceptional and snow rich! Now I understand, it makes more sense.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold wrote:
Welcome.

Try Val d'Isere in France, or Zermatt in Switzerland.

They both have flat(ish) trails up-high (in case of bad snow).

I much prefer your oddball one word answers Whitegold.
Please stick with them in the future.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@kev1977, You could do a lot worse than La Rosiere, it's high 1850 meters, very snow sure, consistently in the top 5 French resorts for snowfall and with good facilities for beginners. We've skied there frequently at Christmas and I can only recall one occasion when snow cover was less than very good.
snow conditions
Milton Keynes?

No, I don't mean to be flippant, just that a beginner might find a day or two at a snow dome just as rewarding, in terms of developing their technique and confidence. Perhaps with lessons. Obviously, it's not the same as going abroad, but perhaps ask your daughter what she thinks? Just a thought. If you still opt to go away, a day at a snow dome beforehand would still be useful.
ski holidays
Quote:

@kev1977, You could do a lot worse than La Rosiere, it's high 1850 meters, very snow sure, consistently in the top 5 French resorts for snowfall and with good facilities for beginners. We've skied there frequently at Christmas and I can only recall one occasion when snow cover was less than very good.

+1 it is also very family friendly in that they have lots of events for kids whilst also being quieter in the evening than some resorts (ie no banging Europop until early hours).
latest report
denfinella wrote:
@drporat, I misunderstood your comment as to mean that a December holiday in Les Houches would be exceptional and snow rich! Now I understand, it makes more sense.

My bad, should have been "If" Skullie . I rectified it.
latest report
@LaForet, Or might put her off for life - if fridges was all there was i'd personally never go skiing, totally dislike the places, they are usually overcrowded and have poor man-made chemical induced snow, too short (I know they can't be any longer) and don't have a view. Apart from that they fulfil a need I guess but if I was trying to teach a relatively new skier they are the last place i'd go.

@kev1977, Obergurgl, Lech or Tignes would be my suggestion, high and snow sure (as well as anywhere would be in December).
snow conditions
@kev1977, Berwang in Austria would be fabulous for a novice and pa!
snow conditions
Thanks For all your help I will google some of These ski resort in Austria and see what one suits us do you think its best to book late and keep an eye on the snow reports nearer the time also which travel agents are best to book with thanks
latest report
Why not book direct with a tour operator through e.g. topcashback and get a few quid back?
snow conditions
Lech is beautiful at Christmas.
latest report
@Swissie, please tell more. The slopes should be perfect but will be crowded for sure, how is the village at Christmas? Any special atmosphere?
In Jan. I'll be in St. Anton. Thought of Les Arcs for Christmas but no special atmosphere there
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy