Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suncream protect against the cold?

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know if this is true? I mean does suncream prevent chapping, wind burn etc rather than actually keep you warm!! Going to Stubai for Xmas and bit concerned the kids are going to be cold Skullie
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When I was there at Christmas a few years back we needed sun cream for the sun!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My rule is to use sun cream at all times when skiing. It has a moisturising effect so will help prevent chapping. Sunburn can be severe at altitude. So spf50+ that is water resistant for kids at all times. Lip salve should also be used.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Snowsartre,
It wasn't cold there last Christmas.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Snowsartre, Funny you ask this. Ive always thought there would be a market for a spray that keeps heat in - Would be useful for skiers and rugby players fingers in the cold weather Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mark1863 wrote:
My rule is to use sun cream at all times when skiing. It has a moisturising effect so will help prevent chapping. Sunburn can be severe at altitude. So spf50+ that is water resistant for kids at all times. Lip salve should also be used.

+1
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Snowsartre, Piz Buin make something called glacier cream which is supposed to protect in extreme cold and wind.
https://www.pizbuin.com/en/our-products/mountain I've never used it, so I can't say how effective it is.
I use something called Latschenkiefer Salbe. This is a salve made with mountain pine oil which protects against cold and makes you smell like a Christmas tree. It doesn't have sun protection properties and crazy people use it alone to get a sun tan. I use my normal sun cream and then put it on top on cold days.
I've been Googling for some information in English about it - so far I haven't found anything, but here's an article in German. https://www.servusmagazin.at/mit-der-heilkraft-der-natur

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 9-11-16 11:13; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I use vaseline if im getting caught with wind burn. Ive even used it ontop of suncream. You do end up greasy but its never let me down.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Uhhh, let's just consider the physics and engineering?

Just how could a cream keep you warm?

I always thought chapping a combination of sun related drying, sun burn and licking lips because of the first two so a good UV proof lipsalve essential.

Also sunscreen but for the sun, not warmth.

and, @Snowsartre, if your kids are cold, sunscreen ain't the answer!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:

Deep Heat? rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spyderjon wrote:
Mark1863 wrote:

+1

+ 2

I always use a factor 50. Personally I like the Ultrasun brand, it is a once a day application type, but I always carry a small tube to top up mid day as feel it's better to be safe, and believe the extra layer on top of skin (though I can't feel it) adds for protection from the elements. Their lip care stick product is also good to use around sensitive eyes I found out from one of their reps, a great tip for me as I have an eye condition.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've tended to believe that the thicker zinc based products do provide a barrier against wind burn etc. But it's a double edged sword if you have white zinc all over your face it's harder to monitor for signs of frostbite.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@JimboS, deep heat doesn't insulate or warm you, it just gives you the impression of being warm. rolling eyes rolling eyes

@Dave of the Marmottes, Applying a think layer of Vicks would equally help, and if you did allow frost bite to set in properly, it would mask the necrotic stench for a little while.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Or for being an extra from a Game of Thrones winter scene Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:

OK, let's.

under a new name wrote:

Heat is lost from the surface of the skin via conduction. Applying a barrier layer over the skin helps prevent this heat loss, keeping you warm. This barrier layer could be 'physical' layer (e.g. coat/gloves/etc) but could also be a 'non-physical' non-conductive layer (e.g. a grease or cream that sits on the skin rather than being absorbed in to it).

While plastering your exposed skin with lard or grease a-la cross channel swimmers from the 1950's would work so will a barrier suncream, such as most winter/skiing suncreams.

under a new name wrote:
I always thought chapping a combination of sun related drying, sun burn and licking lips because of the first two so a good UV proof lipsalve essential.

Chapping is burning caused by excessive loss of moisture from an area of the skin. This can be caused by sun burning where the infra-red solar radiation hitting the skin causes moisture in the skin to evaporate. It can also be, and in my personal experience is more often caused by conduction in cold air*. Of course when your lips get dry your natural instict is to lick them, to lubricate them but water's a better conductor of heat than skin, which makes things worse.

Of course lipsalve only really helps on your lips and unless you want to go full-ninja things like your nose, cheek bones and ears will still be exposed. Applying a good dose of winter suncream to these exposed areas will help protect them from both the sun and wind burn/heat loss.

* I'm more likely to get chapped lips on a dark, freezing winters day than a hot sunny summer one - but then I'm blessed with the sort of lips that can burn opening the oven!
snow report
@Mjit, heat loss through conduction into air is the least effective ways of losing heat ~2% (?) Your swimmer analogy works for water not air.

I really don't see sun cream making a noticeable effect on the whole heat loss.

Re chapped lips, I submit the drying/chilling effect is more to do with evaporation than air conduction.

I still don't think sun screen will have much effect.
latest report
If I'm feeling hot at the beach should I skip the sun cream?
ski holidays
I thought this was a humorous thread, but I see the rolling eyes are out.

Sun cream is not the solution to cold, wear some clothes, or if you must go the cream route, try an inch of lard and avoid the huskies.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@JimboS, deep heat doesn't insulate or warm you, it just gives you the impression of being warm. rolling eyes rolling eyes

Next time I will make my jokes more clear, or just funnier rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
@JimboS, They're just trying to rub it in. Toofy Grin
latest report
@JimboS, Laughing Laughing
snow report
@Snowsartre, get some buffs and balaclavas (thin and fleece) from amazon
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
Uhhh, let's just consider the physics and engineering ... if your kids are cold, sunscreen ain't the answer!
That would be using our "expertise", well out of fashion.

Here's a summary. In Finland I regularly rode in -24 or so; in BC it's common to have -20.
At those temperatures you'll notice it's cold if you're not covered.
Much colder and the snow gets squeaky. But you have to watch the wind-chill too.
http://www.ec.gc.ca/meteo-weather/default.asp?lang=En&n=5FBF816A-1#table1
latest report
Heck, damn those experts!

European snow gets squeaky at higher temperatures. Greater moisture? First BC trip I was most impressed that the lifties were a. warning everyone about frostbite and checking and b. told my chum who should have known better to take her earings out... rolling eyes
snow report
@SaraJ, Thanks for the link glacier cream sounds good (vaseline with sun protection!) interesting that Boots had it at £11.99 a tub, amazon at £22.99!!

Thanks all - developing into quite a thread!
snow conditions
High factor suncream for protection against the sun, a good fuelling breakfast (porridge/ fruit and scrambled eggs on toast, strong coffee) and warm multi-layered merino wool clothing (not synthetics) and good gloves against the cold seems to work for me. Piz Buin Mountain F30 or 50.

If its mega cold below -20C we take regular coffee breaks, and ski hard between. Never understood folks who stay out in all weathers complaining its cold, just get wrapped up and take on fuel, with regular breaks - it works. Often the best days too because many folk are in town bemoaning its too cold and the mountain is frequently empty.
snow report
@Mjit,
Quote:

This barrier layer could be 'physical' layer (e.g. coat/gloves/etc) but could also be a 'non-physical' non-conductive layer (e.g. a grease or cream that sits on the skin rather than being absorbed in to it).
I'm sorry, but this is nonsense. The layer of suncream is so incredibly thin (c. 10 microns) that, even if it wasn't absorbed, any insulating effect would be so slight as to be meaningless. In addition, they now know that goose fat never did insulate channel swimmers, but it did prevent chafing. Today's swimmers use vaseline for the same purpose. One other factor is that the thicker, less absorbent suncreams actiually do a pretty good job of reflecting UV radiation. As such, I suspect suncreams are more likely to make you colder than warmer.
ski holidays
Sun Dance, Ladival & Rossman all make a winter cold protection type suncream
According to this test cheaper but better than the likes of Piz Buin and Tiroler Nussöl too.

http://www.testberichte.de/a/sonnencreme-lotion-spray/magazin/test-stiftung-warentest-1-2012/300745.html
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Snowsartre, you could try goose fat?
That might kill three birds with one stone.
ski holidays
PeakyB wrote:
@Snowsartre, you could try goose fat?
That might kill three birds with one stone.

No, goose fat doesn't suit me Smile
snow report
Wear a snood
latest report
I was informed by someone that tested sun protection creams etc in laboratory that any that are clear when applied struggle to protect at anything realistically above SPF 30.

You have to put on and reapply to excessive levels to get anything clear to even get distant look at 50 rating. The instruction will often confirm this in specifying the reapplication time and levels used.

To be consistently above 30 without reapplication they need to be more physically opaque. A bit like those bright eighties examples in old ski photos.

Sudocrem will work like this, plus has antiseptic etc components that can help if skin is dried and broken. So maybe useful if you're already in trouble at prominent points to help recover. It's listed for sunburn also.
snow report
& suncream has a 'use-by date'...
I learned this lesson at the Pre-EoSB '16 - religiously applied before jumping into my boots and again at lunchtime Embarassed - resulted in a colour slightly more red that the Emoji. Repeated the same mistake on the second day before somebody pointed this fact out Embarassed Embarassed

Went and bought some new Factor 50 from one of the pharmacies & didn't suffer any further burning (although most of my face peeled/sloughed over the following couple of weeks).

Sorry for the thread drift but +1 to skidoodle's recommendation for the Ultrasun - will be buying this season's supply tomorrow!
latest report
@HossDoc, you forgot the obvious tip.

If you get cold sores then use sun cream because they can sometimes be triggered by UV and you end up with Chapped lips. I find as a general barrier then Neutrogena is good. I always carry Acyclovir. PS if you do get cold sores, don't rub in the cream. Dab it on.
snow report
Belinda69 wrote:
Watching what kind of sunscreen. It is necessary to carefully select it, and it is better to make the most of natural ingredients. And no chemistry! *MOD EDIT - please don't do the spammer's work for them by quoting the links we remove MOD EDIT*

So another thread resurrection (only 2 years old this time) to promote your homemade sun cream site?

Good luck with the veg' oil and cocoa powder recipe rolling eyes
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy