Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Quality pilot in French rescue

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This pilot is trhe 'muts nuts'

https://www.wvlt.tv/content/news/WATCH-Helicopter-Rescue-in-the-French-Alps--504106601.html
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My first heli ski trip the pilot did the same and we clambered out using the skis over a bit of a cliff.

Chapeau.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Impressive. But if they used the hoist in the end why did he have to do that?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scary for the guys on the ground as it came in to land / hover. A long time ago when I was a geology student I took some flights in a helicopter from the Italian Navy which was ferrying us around Mt Etna during a large eruption. He did a similar thing, landing on a steep slope with just the front of one strut on the ground while we jumped out. It was complicated by the incredible turbulence coming up from the lava flow beneath us, so the helicopter bounced around like a bucking bronco as I sat in the doorway with my feet dangling out ready to leap. Scariest moment of my life, but apparently I should have felt honoured because it was the chief pilot of the Italian Marines who was flying us. Wasn't entirely convinced by that, although no doubt the man was skilled at his job.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't wish to underplay this but the PGHM pilots are the best trained in France and undertake all the difficult or truly life threatening rescues. To the layman it is very dramatic but given the lack of turbulence it is just another day at work for highly trained guys, just like UK search and rescue. For the winch issue I would suggest the low hover, nearly landing, would be the quickest way of getting the rescuer on scene, as he could jump the last few cm. The injury appears to be to the knee/leg so maybe the climb into the chopper would be tricky, a winch would be easier as he could dangle by the door and be swung into the cabin. Also the last thing a wingman needs on his initial descent is help from over eager victims and their mates thanks to static discharge and loss of control of his destiny thanks to folks grabbing hold of himself. Having done lots of drills during my career we we taught to do nothing to assist. Bottom line: God speed to all of them!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ster, one would assume to get the medic on the scene as quickly as possible to stablise the IP
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Includes interview with pilot:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-46817131/french-alps-skiers-rescued-in-dramatic-helicopter-manoeuvre
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It was very dramatic indeed to watch and his shrug in the interview was so very understated.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheesie168 wrote:
It was very dramatic indeed to watch and his shrug in the interview was so very Gallic.

FIFY
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Orange200 wrote:
Cheesie168 wrote:
It was very dramatic indeed to watch and his shrug in the interview was so very Gallic.

FIFY

Bof! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Having flown in many (uk military) helicopters and know plenty of chopper pilots... I thought it was awesome flying. End of. Bof. Good to know those guys are there although you'll never see me in such an exciting off piste position anyway.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Many moons ago, on exercise in Scotland, we were bored. Not much flying when a request came in to help a farmer rescue a stranded sheep on a rock cliff face. The sea king on board was dispatched, and as we weren't doing much, off I went in the back. We never used to exit out of our Lynx/gazelles, so why not. Muggins was first to get lowered down onto the rock. My lasting memory was flying six feet back back up in the air again, with the matelot winchman laughing his head off looking down. The barstewards had secured the static earthing strip so I earthed the aircraft first. We still have a chuckle about it when we see each other around town, thirty plus years later.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy