Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

freestyle help (kickers)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
is there a particular forum that has more of a freestyle base or is this one sufficient?

having trouble with a few things in the park
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go big or go home is a good place to start.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
On a serious note what are you struggling with?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mainly keeping my weight forward on kickers. I'm ok with the smaller ones but having problems being thrown into the back seat on the bigger ones. I try and keep the pressure on my shins but it isn't helping. also, when I pop it knocks me off balance
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snowboard freestyle coach here, not skier, but most of this stuff crosses over pretty well.

It's hard to say without seeing you ride, but your issues with pop and weight distribution could be down to timing. As a general rule, you should be in a low stance as you hit the bottom of the transition, then gradually push with your legs / get taller as you ride up the transition.

At the lip, you can make the decision to accelerate the push to pop hard, keep it sustained to "cruise" off the lip or release the push to absorb the lip. This will depend on how well you've matched your speed to the size/shape of the kicker (e.g. do you need more pop to make sure you clear the knuckle or are you going to overshoot and die a painful death in the flats?). This will also depend on what trick you want to do.

If you're just trying to pop hard at the lip, this might be why you're getting off balance and in the back seat.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks for the response.

when I just cruise of the lip things are much better. the fact that I find the back seat when poping has led me to think that this is the issue. is popping essential to a good jump? or can you just ride out kicker with a little more speed to make up for the lack of pop?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some great advise from Dave.
If you want to progress to performing tricks perfecting your pop is essential.
Try practicing on the flat moving at slow speeds , this way you can ensure you are balanced.
The "pop" motion is quiet, imagine the spring you get from a trampoline.
Any big movements in the pop will throw you off balance and cause you problems in the air.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As @willski17 says, pop doesn't have to be a sudden, jerky motion. You actually get better pop from a steady push all the way up the transition.

Try this for a drill guaranteed to make you a feel like a muppet. "Flowering". Get low and all tucked up in a ball as you approach the kicker. As you ride up the transition and pop off the lip extend your whole body (legs straightening, torso unwinds, arms start tucked-in and finish extended out above your head). It's a full-body pop.

Be warned, I nearly died the first time I tried this. I got a beautiful, smooth pop off the kicker, then had loads of time to admire the view as the lip, the deck, the knuckle and the landing cruised by beneath me while I was still at altitudes envied by passing jumbo jets.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Be warned, I nearly died the first time I tried this. I got a beautiful, smooth pop off the kicker, then had loads of time to admire the view as the lip, the deck, the knuckle and the landing cruised by beneath me while I was still at altitudes envied by passing jumbo jets.

Very Happy Very Happy

I once saw an inviting lip off to the side of an unfamiliar piste I was on. Didn't look very big. I was going quite quick though. Piste was nice and quiet so I thought I'd have a little jump back onto it. As I came off it I realised a) it was bigger than I thought b) I was going faster than I realised and c) the piste rolled over and dropped away steeply below it. Being a general coward about being airborne I ended up at a radically different altitude than I expected. One of the few times I have ever had time to think "bloody hell, that snow is a long way down". I'm not saying that my landing was a pretty sight but with nothing damaged but a bit of pride I got off lightly. Stupid middle-aged man.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BTW I've found the advice on here really useful - think i've been trying to pop too hard at the lip rather than smoother and from earlier
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
you two guys certainly know how to inspire me with confidence 😉
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Many of the domes and dry slopes have freestyle sessions, Tamworth has one on a Tuesday evening with a coach for advice. The freestyle crowd are very friendly and there'll always be people happy to share advice
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jedster, I did that on piste once, off a transition on one of the steepest blacks around here (41degrees in places). I decided foolishly to pop the edge only to realise that I was going way too fast. Kooky was actually worried, I wasn't very high but managed over 20m before touching down on one leg due to a big pile of crud in front of me. Honestly... I was terrified Skullie

But on the other hand, sometimes the snow is so sticky you just can't get the speed.

http://youtube.com/v/lgp8b_urBLM

It entertained the local kids though. 2nd run I straightlined it and still only managed to clip the lip on landing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Scarpa,

slightly chubby air! nice

we've all done that too
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy