Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"I hope you die on the slopes!"

Poster: A snowHead
I was in a gondola today in Saas Fee, sitting on a small bench seat and chatting to an american lady next to me.

A pretty big and fit looking guy, about 28 years old or so, in a loose modern onsie approached.

"Is that a Canadian goose jacket?" he asked pointing at her.

"Yes, I think so" she replied

"Then that fur on your collar is real. You should not be allowed to wear it. I hope you die on the slopes!"

She was understandably shocked, and said nothing....this guy was big and very full of indignation and confrontation.

So I did the only sensible thing and spoke up:

"Shame on you for being so judgmental" I said...and then added

"Just FECK OFF YOU WINKER"

He turned away, and I said to her that his reaction was so extreme that it was laughable and that laughing at it was the best attitude and not to be intimidated...and she actually seemed quite OK.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Canada Goose say:

Quote:
The Canada Goose Down Transparency Standard™ is our commitment to support the ethical sourcing and responsible use of down used in our products. Our suppliers are required to certify that our down comes as a by-product of the poultry industry and has not come from live-plucked or force-fed birds. We enforce this commitment through a third-party audit program conducted by IDFL Laboratory and Institute who conduct sample audits at all levels of our supply chain, from farm to factory. The Canada Goose Down Transparency Standard™ also mandates that all down used in our products adheres to the Five Freedoms policy set out by the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE).

The Canada Goose Fur Transparency Standard™ is our commitment to support the ethical sourcing and responsible use of real wild fur. The program mandates that all fur sourced by Canada Goose is in accordance with the Agreement of International Humane Trapping Standards in Canada and the Best Managed Practices in the United States. It also requires that we only use wild fur from North American suppliers and that we never use fur from fur farms or endangered species. We monitor compliance to The Canada Goose Fur Transparency Standard™ through a third-party sample audit program of traplines. These trappers are strictly regulated by state, provincial and federal standards, and play an important role in properly managing abundant coyote populations that are known to endanger pets and livestock.

Never mind all that though, did your 'pretty big and fit looking guy' (oh yeah) mention that every chav in the UK has one and THAT'S the reason you shouldn't ever be seen out in one.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rungsp, David Attenborough eats meat and wears leather.

Good enough for me.

I don't associate with anyone wearing loose modern onesies. Indicative of loose (i.e. not clear) modern thinking.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
One judgement deserves another, @under a new name? Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@pam w, titter.

Possibly also indicative of my middle age...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm beginning to struggle to know what to wear and eat. Carbon fuel based plastics / synthetics are being demonised and we are told we need less cows and sheep to stop methane production, so no wool or leather etc. What are we going to cloth ourselves in? Can the world produce enough cotton and flax etc, won't we be told off for getting fabrics from poor nations etc.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Woad. As celebrated in this song I sang as a Girl Guide - to the tune of "Men of Harlech".

What's the good of wearing braces,
Vests and pants and boots with laces,
Spats or hats you buy in places
Down in Brompton Road?

What's the use of shirts of cotton,
Studs that always get forgotten?
These affairs are simply rotten:
Better far is woad.

Woad's the stuff to show, men.
Woad to scare your foemen:
Boil it to a brilliant hue
And rub it on your back and your abdomen.

Ancient Briton ne'er did hit on
Anything as good as woad to fit on
Neck, or knees, or where you sit on.
Tailors, you be blowed.

Romans came across the Channel
All wrapped up in tin and flannel:
Half a pint of woad per man'll
Dress us more than these.

Saxon, you can waste your stitches
Building beds for bugs in britches:
We have woad to clothe us, which is
Not a nest for fleas.

Romans keep your armours;
Saxons your pyjamas:
Hairy coats were meant for goats,
Gorillas, yaks, retriever dogs and llamas.

Tramp up Snowdon with our woad on:
Never mind if we get rained or blowed on.
Never want a button sewed on.
Go it, Ancient Bs.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pruman wrote:

Never mind all that though, did your 'pretty big and fit looking guy' (oh yeah) mention that every chav in the UK has one and THAT'S the reason you shouldn't ever be seen out in one.

No idea how people in the uk can wear one. Just to warm for our climate
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sounds fair enough though he'd have been better getting out his taste police card rather than his vegan eco warrior badge.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
+ then asking him were the rest of the teletubbies still on the hill
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rungsp, silly question perhaps, but what is the logical connection between the fur on her collar and the down in her jacket? Do geese have fur collars or what?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rungsp wrote:
I was in a gondola today in Saas Fee, ...

This made me so jealous I didn't really take in the rest of the post!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Steilhang, Canada Goose is a brand (in this case) and they use real fur.

https://www.canadagoose.com/uk
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm still curious as to how this bloke walked up to them while they were in a gondola - surely the levitation is the bigger story here?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@pam w, well I for one enjoyed the song. You can tell it is old because it rhymes and scans, and is amusing.
ski holidays
So, let's see if I have this straight...............

The righteous dude, liberal, of course, invites his own snarky, smarmy, beyond insufferable cowardly pejorative against an everyday innocent. Yet......., no doubt (sorry for all the commas) where do we begin............, wears leather shoes, is not a vegetarian, uses various cosmetic that IS v. much tested on critters such a cute wittle wabbits, owns and operates a motor vehicle which, no doubt, begs for a tune up as per the smoky tailpipe, is no stranger ("beneficiary" Read: lamprey) to being a recipient of "the grid", etc., etc., ad nauseam.................

I mean really, how far may I carry out this pos/single-helix's hypocrisy.............?

ps: The main gondola at Saas Fee accommodates a good fifty people as I recall.

pps: Thanx RUNGSP!!!! I would have been a bit more demonstrable.
snow conditions
@arcsinice, more pertinently, participates in a ludicrous, pointless and unproductive "sport" involving enormous amounts of plastic and has the gall to use motorised uplift all at enormous energy and hydrocarbon cost?
snow report
I can't believe that anyone would choose to wear one for skiing, they look too bulky and fur-trimmed oversized hood would be a pita imo. I also assume they'd be very warm too, perhaps OK on an Alaskan/ Manitoban skidoo trip but in a Swiss resort in November likely too hot, certainly for myself anyway.

TCG does appear to have issues, the brand started off as an exclusive and overpriced niche brand and has since been copied to such an extent that it's now chavtastic in most UK cities I go to, and I cant believe that all the kids and yoof I see wearing it are wearing the full price originals, akin to Moncler and many other expensive lifestyle brands. Secondly it receives a lot of hate on the likes of FB with its Koyote killing for hood trims and apparent inhumane goose farming techniques for the down lining. I dont know how much of this is true but I tend to think its a no smoke without fire position so imo its a brand that has lost its mojo and there is definitely a lot of social media negativity towards it. In any event its not for me.

Just saying.....maybe the onesy man had a point but looks like his delivery style needed a bit of refinement Laughing
latest report
I imagine if he ventured into some of the 'garden' suburbs of Glasgow and did the same to the first group of fakey Canada Goose wearing bams he found that he would enjoy a near or even actual death experience himself. I'd enjoy watching that....
latest report
@robboj, It'd be even worse if they coughed/ splutterred and wasted their bucky.... wink
snow report
Quote:

Secondly it receives a lot of hate on the likes of FB with its Koyote killing for hood trims and apparent inhumane goose farming techniques for the down lining. I dont know how much of this is true but I tend to think its a no smoke without fire position

Hmm. I wouldn't assume that there's "no smoke without fire" because there's hate on FB. And it's hard to understand why anyone who doesn't object to killing cows or sheep could logically object to killing coyotes. They're hardly endangered.
ski holidays
@pam w, Canada Goose were involved in several controversies over the past few years, not so much just because they use down and fur, but because of the inhumane ways tgey obtained it - live plucking, trapping, etc.

I don’t know much about the brand, but according to the info quoted above from their website, it looks like they have cleaned up their act.
ski holidays
@clarky999, or maybe they just say they have, who knows? wink Whatever, just becasue they've cleaned up their act doesnt mean they werent culpable in the past. I'll stick with Norrona, they seem like a decent sustainable bunch, until such time as I hear they've been trapping and plucking GTX Pro from wild animals, endangered or otherwise.
snow report
@Markymark29, indeed!

Big props to Patagonia for driving the general sustainability trend in the industry too.
snow conditions
Irrespective of the ethics side, the answer should have been something along the lines of:-
"I hope to, at the age of 107, shredding a black mogul field!" snowHead
latest report
[quote="pam w"]
Quote:

And it's hard to understand why anyone who doesn't object to killing cows or sheep could logically object to killing coyotes. They're hardly endangered.

I think it is very easy to have a different approach to morally and practically to materials from animals farmed and from wild animals.

Firstly, meat and leather from farmed animals is by nature sustainable, in as much that the animals are bred for it. Secondly, particularly in the EU, farm animals are kept and slaughtered in controlled conditions with relatively high regard being put onto animal welfare.

The furore around the use of coyote fur for canada goose is that these animals are wild. They are killed by shooting and more often by trapping in snares so the fur isn't damaged. Pretty horrible ways to die for any animal. The second issue is that our world is full of examples of animals which were plentiful and very quickly got hunted to extinction. Our generation has seen the biggest mass extinction of mammals in the history of the World.
snow report
@emwmarine, +1 well said, I was sat on my hands fizzing, you beat me to it.

@clarky999, ......and also there's a really good company we know for sustainable bamboo toothbrushes! wink
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
@emwmarine, +1 well said, I was sat on my hands fizzing, you beat me to it.

@clarky999, ......and also there's a really good company we know for sustainable bamboo toothbrushes! wink

and of course the other issue with the fake copies is that the use the plentiful supply of cat and dog fur as a by product from Asian meat markets is pretty rife https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/10/fake-fur-sold-british-high-street-actually-cats-rabbits-raccoon/ I can't imagine that the people who make and sell fake canada goose jackets care where their fur comes from as long as it's cheap.

Going back to the original topic. Clearly the guy was a thug and a bully and I imagine that the lady had no idea of the source of the fur around her jacket anyway. Her morale judgements are her business.

I can sort of see why the guy could get upset with canada goose, particularly when you do a bit of research and look at the relish with which the redneck americans try to destroy coyotes and how they are caught etc. His beef should be with the company though.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would have told the him to bug off as he might put me off my lunch of veal slathered in fois gras.
ski holidays
nelly0168 wrote:
I would have told the him to bug off as he might put me off my lunch of veal slathered in fois gras.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
emwmarine wrote:

I can sort of see why the guy could get upset with canada goose, particularly when you do a bit of research and look at the relish with which the redneck americans try to destroy coyotes and how they are caught etc. His beef should be with the company though.

Nowithstanding that he probably went about it wrong -it might be the best course of direct action. If customers get to see how they are viewed for wearing a company's products they are less likely to re-purchase and eventually the company gets the message or sees a flood of its product on the secondhand market.

Fur has always been a trigger issue and I often think people wearing it now are deliberately doing it to make a point of their own (well it's fashion they are always trying to make a statement unless they are true survivalists or Leo Dicaprio in the Revenant.)
latest report
emwmarine wrote:
I think it is very easy to have a different approach to morally and practically to materials from animals farmed and from wild animals.

Yes I agree. However I have never heard of anybody who will only eat farmed and not wild animals, but do know of people who will only eat wild animals, not farmed. Fish and game mostly.

Quote:
The second issue is that our world is full of examples of animals which were plentiful and very quickly got hunted to extinction. Our generation has seen the biggest mass extinction of mammals in the history of the World.

Yes, but your second sentence does not follow from your first, our generation has not hunted them to extinction - that was two or three ago. Secondly, if the coyote were likely to die out for this reason, it would already have done so; instead they are pests. So it isn't relevant here.
snow conditions
nelly0168 wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Have to be honest, I dont really follow fashions in winter coats - either worn by people with too much money than sense or neds.

But, as has been noted above something very thick and down filled is basically too warm unless in the fiercest of climates.

I had a down jacket about 30 years ago, given to me by an american family - actually threw it out as I couldnt wear it anywhere without sweating like crazy.
latest report
Bamboo toothbrushes, farming animals for consumption / conservation ...
Here's an interesting Transcript from Freakonomics

http://freakonomics.com/2013/10/24/why-bad-environmentalism-is-such-an-easy-sell-full-transcript/

The piece is a few years old, but it makes you think ....
snow conditions
Going off at a tangent... Is there a reason (beyond fashion) that parka jackets have fur around the hood? Obviously, when kit was made from skins with the fur to the inside it'd show around the openings but it's continued long after that.
snow conditions
adithorp wrote:
Going off at a tangent... Is there a reason (beyond fashion) that parka jackets have fur around the hood? Obviously, when kit was made from skins with the fur to the inside it'd show around the openings but it's continued long after that.

....and did any kid in the history of the universe ever wear the hood up in a snorkel parka (OK possibly a character in East is East IIRC)?

Actually looks like wiki is all over Parka isshoos including the Mod's favourite the fishtail - Shame on them for hurting the poor fishies.
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
adithorp wrote:

....and did any kid in the history of the universe ever wear the hood up in a snorkel parka (OK possibly a character in East is East IIRC)?

Actually looks like wiki is all over Parka isshoos including the Mod's favourite the fishtail - Shame on them for hurting the poor fishies.

Of course we did. It was the 70's equivalent of the scally hoody Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

....and did any kid in the history of the universe ever wear the hood up in a snorkel parka

The perfect snowball target was a fully zipped up parka hood. They never saw it coming.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy