Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

WALES 2018/19: SNOW, IT'S NOT JUST FOR (A CHILD'S) CHRISTMAS IN WALES

Poster: A snowHead
Do you usually get many snow days in March/April?

I imagine if it's anything like the rest of Britain, you'll see more snow in March than December?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mouse555 wrote:
Do you usually get many snow days in March/April?

I imagine if it's anything like the rest of Britain, you'll see more snow in March than December?

Yep.

March has been my constant for many years.

The dumps can be heavier and offer better coverage than December or January, but it doesn't stick around long though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Penyfan/6day/top

Seen a few reports of a possible mini cold snap this weekend. Snow forecast predicting 10cm on Saturday but their totals seem to change massively every few hours and have been wayyy off a couple times this year.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Always about the freezing level and wind speed
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sleet/snow tonight with freezing level dropping to 600-700m. Visibility improving tomorrow but winds increasing.

Can't see it being one of the better skiing days but I might give it a go! Snow forecast still going for 10cm on the top.

10 is actually a very special number for me. Last month marked 10 years since I last skied outside the UK Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Fingers crossed for you
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I went.. it was a bit windy Very Happy

Looks like a bit more snow tonight (above 700m) and a much better day tomorrow. Tempted to give it another go because there was a 'decent' amount of snow collecting up high and with a bit more added.. it could be quite fun!

Would like to explore some new areas but conditions today were pretty tough so didn't want to stray too far from the path Very Happy

http://youtube.com/v/gqE_-mLsv4w
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Excellent
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great stuff! hats off to the Welsh Warriors Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Didn't manage to get up Monday. Saw a couple photos on Twitter that suggested there was a bit more new snow on the tops but it was thawing quickly by the afternoon.

Looks like mild stormy weather now until March - maybe Mike will bring some powder back? Very Happy

I've heard a lot of people saying this has been a mild winter? But I've had 4 good days in the Beacons so far (hard to define good.. because I don't really class myself as a proper skier Very Happy ) and another 4 more 'Mike days' where conditions aren't ideal but skis still quickest way to get about.. Very Happy

Really enjoying the Beacons experience I must say and this is a great community of snow sports enthusiasts snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47360952

UK temperature record for February has just been smashed.. and it's in Wales! 20.3C.

Next week is looking more average so the wait goes on Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just arrived in Cardiff Airport.

Wax the skis Wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mike Pow, A bit forecast for North Wales over the weekend but windy.

Welcome home.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheers
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks like freezing level will be quite a bit lower in Snowdonia than the Beacons.. and more precipitation as well.

Any areas up north suitable for the less experienced skiers/boarders?
latest report
Carneddau
Straight up from the lay-by next to Llyn Ogwen.

If it snows in Southern Snowdonia, then the slopes opposite Cadair Idris above Tal-y-Llyn are perfect - read grassy.

So too Aran Mawddwy near Lake Bala.
latest report
Thanks Mike.

Will be interesting to see what happens over the next few days. Loads of precipitation forecast but how much will be snow...

Arpege model is suggesting some extraordinary accumulations further west on the Irish mountains. Only live 10 minutes from the ferry so i'm keeping a close eye on this Very Happy

https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Carrauntoohil/forecasts/1038
ski holidays
Any updates on the Welsh pistes? Very Happy

Apparently there was heavy snow in Dublin earlier but haven't seen any reports of anything here? 10C recorded at Capul Curig at 4pm makes me think there won't be much about?

It all looks a bit messy down south for the next week with temperatures up high mostly hovering a couple degrees either side of freezing.

I've got a few days off but I'd hate to have to travel over the border to get some turns in Very Happy
snow report
Nothing in the Beacons yesterday
latest report
Bit on the web cams off the A5. Next week is looking tasty though...
ski holidays

A very light dusting above 750-800m

Left the skis in the car but there was probably a turn there somewhere Very Happy
latest report
Most models suggesting colder weather from Sunday ('some' snow gaurenteed I would've thought).

Interesting to see what happens tomorrow and Friday. MWIS suggesting heavy snow above 600m, in the Beacons, met office suggesting something more sleety and snow forecast going for a couple cm's at 800m.

Snowdonia seems more 'snow sure' and looks like it'll see more precipitation over the coming days. Looks stormy though - I certainly wouldn't want go go venturing up there with the conditions I had on 10th Feb!

Oh the excitement Very Happy
latest report
In Italy this weekend.

Back Monday evening.

Fingers crossed for some sport early next week
snow report
https://twitter.com/snowdonweather/status/1103945706618933248?s=20

Snow above 650m in Snowdonia. Nothing down South.. yet.
ski holidays
Has anyone tried the Berwyns in North East Wales? Looks very grassy and similar looking to the Beacons.

Also looks to be in the firing line for some heavy snow tonight/tomorrow Very Happy
ski holidays
@Mouse555, Yes, but never quite got them in condition although have seen avalanches up there. Photo's below from a few years ago from the Pistyll Rhaeadr side:

^^ Moel Sych

^^ Above the main path

^^ A line for the list, old workings.

Assuming the roads were ok, parking in Llangynog and heading over towards Moel Sych could work.
latest report
I'm pondering doing something in Snowdonia on Monday but not sure if it's going to be worth the drive.
ski holidays
@Mouse555, indeed:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1417396
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks fantastic.

I'm tempted to have look at Berwyns tomorrow.. even it's just scouting new terrain for next season and taking some wintery photos Cool

Higher winds in the South and seems to be question marks about how much of the precipitation tonight will be snow. Seems like it might be a case of latitude over altitude..

We'll see
ski holidays
@Mouse555, Did you go over ? I walked our local hills and could see snow on the Berwyns.
snow report
I did indeed.

I should've probably planned it a bit better because I struggled to find places to park. I ended up parking a short distance down from the phone box in Tyn y Ffridd. Then I took the footpath by the farm opposite the phonebox up towards what I believe is Godor? (map reading skills aren't the best!). Unfortunately I had to head back early so didn't make it up to Cadair Berwyn. There wasn't much snow but there's always enough for a couple turns on the nursery slopes Very Happy

http://youtube.com/v/khW8m4dMU8s&feature=youtu.be

ski holidays
@Mouse555, Good effort ! snowHead snowHead
latest report
It's always an adventure Very Happy

Snow forecast suggesting there could be quite a bit of snow for Tuesday/wednesday in the North. Also suggesting 12cm tomorrow for top of Pen Y Fan. Interesting to see if that comes off.

Milder Thursday/Friday and back cold again on the weekend it seems. Seen this quite a bit this year. Haven't really tapped into a prolonged cold spell so the snow has mostly been quite soft and baseless.
snow conditions
Well played
snow report
great bit of snow/grass skiing, amazing how little is needed to attract the snowheads out, fair play, hoping for some up penyfan .
latest report
Thanks Mike and Steve. I can't believe you haven't had a day yet Mike and we're half way through March. Surely a contender for your worst year?

I believe that was my 9th day so far. (Been really trying to bag as many days as possible Very Happy ). I would say 3 days we're pretty good and the rest were something of a novelty.. which isn't bad for what's been a very mild winter Very Happy

What I like about Wales is every time I've been, the snow always feels a bit different. Quite slushy yesterday (below 600m) but you can still get your turns in on the right terrain. February 1st in Beacons snow felt really quick, January 24th it felt fluffy and bouncy. It always feels different and I've never experienced that abroad.. but then I've never been off-piste Very Happy
snow report
Yep.

0 days this season.

So far.

Hopefully soon.

Just back from Italy.
snow report
Met Office and snow forecast still suggesting the possibility of a few cm's this morning up high in the Beacons.. so a possibility for Wednesday.

Looks like a lot will depend on exactly when (if) the rain turns to snow and how many showers there are following in behind.

Similar thing happened Saturday night. Temperature around freezing on the tops, precipitation moves in, temperature rises by 4-5 degrees in about an hour and then drops back just as quick as the front has moved through.

Off to Bridgend tomorrow so may stop by to check on the pistes if I've got time Very Happy
snow report
Just had a quick look. Snowing heavily at Storey Arms with car temperature saying 0.5C.- freezing level lower than forecast it seems.

Rainfall radar looks like lots more precipitation left to fall so It could be on lads Very Happy
latest report
Zero days here too. I usually manage something on the local Shropshire hills but it's not worked out.

Sunday for North Wales was looking a possible on the charts. We'll see.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy