Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

WALES 2018/19: SNOW, IT'S NOT JUST FOR (A CHILD'S) CHRISTMAS IN WALES

Poster: A snowHead
anyone travelling via a465 & looking for some grub. I recommend Red Lion Inn in Penderyn Smile
Roaring Fire that should warm you up!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
23rd January 2019

http://youtube.com/v/22TR7v-84-c

Fresh powder, sunshine and top to bottom sliding at Storey Arms today!

I was there on Tuesday and whilst it was fun (Always is!), I was debating coming back the next day because there was only 'a couple light snow showers' forecast. So thought i'd set my alarm nice and early and check twitter to see if there was any new snow in the usual places. Turned out the A470 between Brecon and Merthyr was closed due to treacherous driving conditions.. so I headed straight for it! There was quite extensive snow cover as far west as Carmarthen but once I past Halfway (just outside Llandovery), it was starting to look like there'd been quite a heavy fall in the hills! Got to Storey Arms at 7.30 and I was expecting to see dozens of cars parked on the side of the road but there wasn't a person in sight!

Fantastic day out!

Forecast is for a short mild spell Friday/Saturday (freezing level 1500-2000m) before a return to colder than average conditions. Models seem to be pointing towards Northerly/North Westerly winds rather than Beast from the East stuff. Whilst this probably won't lead to those widespread sub-zero maximum days, I think it could be quite snowy for the mountains with showers coming in off the Atlantic! Fingers crossed snowHead

A few pictures..

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Awesome.

Can't wait to ski with you Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It will be an honour to ski with the legend Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Mouse555, Great stuff Very Happy .
I remember that bouncy feeling as the ankle-deep snow seems to bounce on top of the moorland grass beneath - feels deeper than it really is. It'a fantastic feeling to ski on home ground Very Happy
Well done!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah it's a lot of fun with a bit of fresh snow, and as Mike said it doesn't need much because it's quite grassy. There's some nice little jumps in the middle as well but i'm sure you could make some bigger ones if you're into that stuff snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mouse555, snowHead snowHead

Any news from the North ? The web cams look promising...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Snowdon/6day/top

Looking very snowy from tomorrow onwards. Mild at the moment though.

snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Loads of snow forecast, but look at those winds
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looks like there could be some heavy falls on Tuesday and Thursday/Friday in the South down to pretty low levels.

https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Penyfan/6day/top

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcjx1v0vs#?date=2019-01-31

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/0/2638202

What's the best way to get to Storey Arms from the west when there's snow about? I usually go through Llandovery/Sennybridge but parts of that route look like a death trap in the snow! Is it better to take the big roads towards Hirwaun and go up through Penderyn?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Penderyn section is the worst in my opinion.

A465 to Merthyr, and then A470 to Storey Arms.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What are the chances of a slide this week/weekend?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BertieG,
Quote:
What are the chances of a slide this week/weekend?
Pretty good, I'd say...

latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm going to try Storey Arms tomorrow morning. Thursday looks like potential for even more snow so Friday/Saturday look awesome if it's not all blown off the mountain!

I'd try get there early on the weekend because if there's snow about, everybody's up there thinking they're Edmund Hillary and it's a pain to park Laughing

That was 1pm this afternoon. Think they've had a bit more snow since but i'm not expecting it to be as good as last Wednesday because there's no base underneath the fresh snow this time.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DyFVrVLXcAAOOy0.jpg
latest report
Enjoy
snow report
Snow still looks good for Thursday eve. Might have to take cheeky 'Holiday' day Friday and get up there early morning. Anyone else fancy it?
snow conditions
yeah, I regular skier/boarder up penyfan, looking to go up early Friday, live local in Merthyr so not far travel, should have a good base as well with the Tuesday fall sitting pretty up there.
snow report
@Mouse555, hi mouse555, I think I recogonise them skiis, did I speak to you lower down slope near carpark, I had a border colly with me.
snow report
@Mouse555, hi mouse555, I think I recogonise them skiis, did I speak to you lower down slope near carpark, I had a border colly with me.
snow report
yeah, I regular skier/boarder up penyfan, looking to go up early Friday, live local in Merthyr so not far travel, should have a good base as well with the Tuesday fall sitting pretty up there.
snow conditions
snow conditions
Nice, give us the report if you can on your return on Friday!
snow report
Great updates and good to see! Agree it is potentially looking good for Friday or the weekend. Fingers crossed for Saturday for me - I will probably be on the North side as easier access for me, assuming no drifted snow in the lanes. Rob
latest report
[img]https://traffic.wales/sites/default/files/styles/rotator_large/public/1548924743-CCTVCAM_A470_99_5A_8482.jpg?itok=L2bFoWKV[/img]

still looking good if it snows tonight. snow forecast.com saying 17cm on top 14cm at bottom - increase from yesterday - windy though
snow report
oh yes, 10 miles south of beacons, snow falling thick and fast, thinking the peaks will be packed with powder come morning. early start earning some turns I think.
ski holidays
oh yes, 10 miles south of beacons, snow falling thick and fast, thinking the peaks will be packed with powder come morning. early start earning some turns I think.
ski holidays
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
where this taken, when
snow report
stevie.j. wrote:
where this taken, when

brecon beacons
ski holidays
Goddamnit, knew I should have gone for the sicky today and not waited until tomorrow! Is that picture this morning? Bristol is still in a light snowstorm! Has been snowing since 9pm last night.
latest report
well, after good snow most of night, set off at nine this morning,. windy thus windswept snow, a good drift built up on side of path, so after reaching a windy first ridge, I kitted up and skied back down the path about 3/4 way, hiked back up, down again 3/4 way path then a traverse and through the rougher grasses, down to the bottom bridge. although not the snow I hoped for but a good day had.

any suggestion for a trip tomorrow sat
ski holidays
Chucked the skis in the car to see if there’s anything going after this morning’s MTB. Not a lot of snow at all in lower valleys (Risca); perhaps in rain shadow of the Beacons? Will take a drive towards pen y fan to see if there’s much to go at this afternoon...
ski holidays
1st February 2019

http://youtube.com/v/kLDmHnqX4Js

Not as much new snow as I was expecting but enough to get from top to carpark! Seems a lot more snow fell further south in Devon/Cornwall and possibly further east - Black mountains? Bumped into Stevie.J and there was a few other skiers/boarders up there as well. Great fun as always.. just a shame there's no lifts to take you back to the top Very Happy I couldn't go Saturday which is a shame because I think the weather was a bit better.

Looks like the next couple weeks will be fairly mild but we'll see!

Some pictures

ski holidays
Fair play, you're shifting there
snow report
Has anyone got a recommendation for a car park that works for the black mountains (Waun Fach) and is accessible shortly after a dump? I was looking around Pengenfford. I'm guessing Gospel Path would need chains / winter tyres to reach.
ski holidays
Lots of people out in North Wales this weekend. We headed up into Cwm LLoer on Carnedd Dafydd for a few turns on the east facing head wall of the cwm, a partial ascent of Y gully and a lovely skin up to the ridge of Cefn Ysgolion Duon and a lovely fast ski back down. It did involve a bit of combat skiing, a couple of stream crossings and some very wet feet.

latest report
Mike Pow wrote:

Yeah I heard the burger van in the carpark was closing early Very Happy

When do you get back Mike?
ski holidays
@galpinos, Love it. Hope to do the same one of these days. Have skied from the ridge a few times but the steeper ground had never been on condition.
snow conditions
Mouse555 wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

Yeah I heard the burger van in the carpark was closing early Very Happy

When do you get back Mike?

Smile

27 Feb
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy