Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

WALES 2018/19: SNOW, IT'S NOT JUST FOR (A CHILD'S) CHRISTMAS IN WALES

Poster: A snowHead
Mouse555 wrote:
Just had a quick look. Snowing heavily at Storey Arms with car temperature saying 0.5C.- freezing level lower than forecast it seems.

Rainfall radar looks like lots more precipitation left to fall so It could be on lads Very Happy

Brilliant.

I'm up for tomorrow.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sleety snow at low level Merthyr, so Wednesday tempting up beacons, finger crossed
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks like possibility of some snow tonight/tomorrow morning as well.

Could be day of the season tomorrow! Hoping visibility/wind isn't too bad.

I've just finished in Bridgend so will stop by on my way home and see what's it's looking like.

Skis and boots in car (as always), so might have a mess about on the slopes down to Pont a Daf Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Excellent. Look forward to the updates.

Will need to go early tomorrow to be back in Llandeilo by 1pm
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry it's a bit late (internet connection is terrible).

Yeah I went up at lunchtime and snow was thawing up to about 600m (as predicted). Tried skiing the slopes by the path but snow had been blown off and what was left was quite sticky so it didn't really work that well. So I headed up higher and stumbled across this slope (not sure of the name) immediately south east of Corn Du. Snow wasn't quite as sticky but seemed like a lot more collected there than elsewhere.

I was a bit nervous about jumping in there because it's a bit steeper than anything i've done before in Wales Very Happy and obviously no base to dig into so turns were quite big. But after the first turn I was really surprised it seemed to ski quite well Very Happy

There were a couple slips and tumbles from scuffing rocks and getting caught up in thick heather but it's quite grassy so no damage done!

http://youtube.com/v/3E6yliqdqpo&feature=youtu.be

This was the scene at about 2pm - snow almost from top to bottom

This was top of the Pont a Daf path at about 3.30pm

And finally this was the scene on the way back at about 4.45pm. Big thaw of snow below 600m but video was recorded at about 4pm so definitely snow around up top.

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Can't wait for Mike's video. Plenty of falls, flips and flying skis Very Happy

Absolute pleasure to ski with the Beacons legend even if conditions weren't ideal!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mouse555, snowHead snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mouse555 wrote:
Can't wait for Mike's video. Plenty of falls, flips and flying skis Very Happy

Absolute pleasure to ski with the Beacons legend even if conditions weren't ideal!

Likewise. Always better skiing with company.

Better than being sat at home.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Really interesting to see how much the condition of the snow impacts how easy it is to get the turns in. Probably about the same amount of snow today on that South East face but rain/drizzle overnight made it feel heavy/sticky and much harder to string a few together. Seems condition of the snow and terrain type play more of a role than depth in the Beacons?

Very interesting learning about history of Beacons skiing, good places to go when winds blowing from different directions and a bit about skiing in general. You should charge for this Mike Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
WEDNESDAY 13 MARCH 2019

A Day Late And A Buck Short Wink Smile

Mouse555

http://youtube.com/v/eZF_lUH5tac

Yours Truly

http://youtube.com/v/Kv0ypzMA6QU

Great to meet and ski with you Chris.

Fingers crossed for a few more days yet.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 7-05-19 8:58; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

http://youtube.com/v/-gmCPbJVRSQ&feature=youtu.be

Still kicking myself I didn't land that little jump Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Brilliant snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looks like rain will turn to snow this evening over Beacons with freezing level dropping to 500m and temps below freezing tomorrow.

Don't think there'll be enough but will keep an eye on the radar before deciding whether to give it a look Very Happy

The aim is to reach 2 weeks Beacons skiing.. in a year where winter temperatures for Wales have been 1.7C above average (17th warmest on record). Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can't make it tomorrow Sad

Fingers crossed for you
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

Sunny skies, cold, very little wind and a whopping 1cm of snow (possibly nearer 2cm on the top) snowHead

Thanks for the PM Mike - spot on. Some hills around Sennybridge had a light white covering (I don't normally see this), so was hoping there would be a lot more up high but wasn't the case today.

Did manage a little run across the Cefn Crew slopes but not one of the better days.. which is shame because everything else was perfect!

Next couple weeks are looking quite mild so 11 days in the Brecons may be it for the 2018-19 season.. we'll see Very Happy

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 17-03-19 13:00; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Well played boy.
snow report
Probably going to try western Beacons a bit more next season... Especially weekends. Spent about 20 minutes trying to get out the carpark because people have parked in the turning area and managed to cause a traffic jam rolling eyes

At least 100 cars parked on the verge either side of the A470 when there's 4 empty lay-bys by the reservoir and the massive one about 30% full - 200 yards from the phone box.

Pen Y Fan seems to lose its charm on the weekends .
latest report
Snow forecast has predicted 1cm of snow on Pen Y Fan for Tuesday. I'm ready! Very Happy

latest report
Thursday 04 April 2019

Been and back from a sunrise ski with Mouse555.

Low visibility but not too much wind.

Good coverage from Pont-ar-Daf car park to the summit of Pen-y-Fan.

Skied from the top back to the car park on surprisingly firm and fast snow.

Fingers crossed the snow continues to fall and the temps stay low.

Tomorrow and Saturday could be great if it does.

Loads of snow blown into Cwm Llwch.
latest report
well done boys, going up myself in a bit, any recommendations as to where best runs
ski holidays
stevie.j. wrote:
well done boys, going up myself in a bit, any recommendations as to where best runs

Mouse555 will still be up there. Hope you bump into him.

Obvious shots from Pen-y-Fan into Cwm Llwch.

Then skier's left (above) the footpath all the way back to the car park.

Enjoy.
latest report
what the cover like stone rock wise , do I use my good skis
snow report
Snows starting to get a bit slushy at carpark level but it's brightened up and Fan Fawr looks like it's collected the most from what I can tell. I find slushy actually works well on that lower slope by Pont a Daf where the grass is short. Easier to make turns!

I'm by the bustop opposite Storey Arms at the moment.

Dunno about best skis. I haven't hit anything yet but always a risk I suppose Very Happy
latest report
Probably going to go back up the path from Pont a Daf actually. Don't know the other side very well and don't want to get stuck in a blizzard Very Happy
snow report
I think I'm going to call it a day. Went back up to Corn Du and just as I reached the stone thingy, heavens opened, snow coming down heavier than earlier and visibility dropped to about 10m. Snow on the ground was noticeably deeper than this morning and still crunchy. Radar suggesting a smaller but more intense band of precipitation spiralling around.

Skied down next to the path and actually got all the way to the bottom again. Snow below about 600m was getting sticky and basically patchy slush from about 500m.

Conditions at the carpark in the last 20 minutes - basically every precipitation type possible Very Happy biggest snowflakes I've ever seen became rain, then sleet, hail and as I'm leaving it's kind of raining snow and everythings getting white again snowHead

Definitely going to give it another shot tomorrow. Hopefully it doesn't warm up too much!
snow conditions
Excellent.
latest report
THURSDAY 04 APRIL 2019

Day 2 sliding in the Brecon Beacons for winter 2018/19

Met up with Mouse555 - his 14th day of the season - and we were pleasantly surprised to find top to bottom coverage and low wind.

Didn't see much to be fair Wink

Chris

http://youtube.com/v/xjf4TlHmPNs

Yours truly

http://youtube.com/v/pgkqQOZybP0

http://youtube.com/v/NE6MUBlG4Rw

http://youtube.com/v/OMouhtnswqk
snow report
@Mouse555, @Mike Pow, bravo!
Great effort, but I'm not sure about the vid's title. It's not what I have in mind when thinking about "Spring snow!" Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chamcham wrote:
@Mouse555, @Mike Pow, bravo!
Great effort, but I'm not sure about the vid's title. It's not what I have in mind when thinking about "Spring snow!" Smile

It's Spring and there was snow Smile

Classic Beacons conditions Smile
snow report
Didn't know my face was frozen snowHead

April 3rd 2019 - hitting the slopes of the Preseli's!

http://youtube.com/v/mwohOYJby7s&feature=youtu.be

This is my local 'resort' down in Pembrokeshire. Very Happy Doesn't usually get snow that often because highest point is only 536m and when it comes, it usually goes as soon as it's stopped snowing. Have seen decent falls from 'Pembrokeshire Danglers' and January 2010.

https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Preseli-Mountains/6day/top

Some pictures from yesterday:

Spoiler

I'll upload some stuff from Beacons later as well.
ski holidays
Top notch
ski holidays
@Mouse555, I think you might be becoming something of a Welsh legend. Look out @Mike Pow, he's snapping at your heels! wink
latest report
Chamcham wrote:
@Mouse555, I think you might be becoming something of a Welsh legend. Look out @Mike Pow, he's snapping at your heels! wink

He certainly is.

Put the hard yards in this winter fair play.

And very good company to share turns with.
latest report
Nah Mike is the original and watching his videos got me interested Very Happy

Will upload some footage from the last 3 days later.
latest report
SATURDAY 06 APRIL 2019

Day 3 sliding in the Brecon Beacons for winter 2018/19

Met up with Mouse555 again - his 16th day of the season fair play - and our 5am start was rewarded with a fantastic sunrise and very enjoyable patch skiing from just below the summit of Pen-y-Fan into Cwm Llwch.

Chris

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 10-04-19 12:24; edited 2 times in total
snow report
April 4th/5th and 6th 2019

Awesome 3 day break in the Beacons Very Happy Day 1 probably had the best snow with temps below freezing top to bottom and this allowed us to ski down to carpark in the morning. It warmed up a bit and rained on and off in the afternoon and throughout the night down low. However all this precipitation was falling as snow above 700m so there was some decent accumulations to be found the next morning! Unfortunately temperatures rose slightly above freezing around sunrise and it started drizzling, so didn't really get those powdery conditions from day 1 Very Happy Although there was no sunshine so snow wasn't melting very quick. Still quite a bit left up high on day 3 and visibility was much better. If that is the end of 2018-19 then I don't think it's not a bad way to go out!

I was expecting to see a lot more skiers/boarders but I don't think many snow days have fallen on weekends/holidays which is a shame.

http://youtube.com/v/XAf8f5YC6h4&feature=youtu.be

some pictures:

Spoiler

ski holidays
Great days, great memories
snow report
@Mouse555, well played, great pics.
snow report
SATURDAY 06 APRIL 2019

Day 3 sliding in the Brecon Beacons for winter 2018/19

Met up with Mouse555 again - his 16th day of the season fair play - and our 5am start was rewarded with a fantastic sunrise and very enjoyable patch skiing from just below the summit of Pen-y-Fan into Cwm Llwch.

Chris

http://youtube.com/v/IoNO0uyD5Nk

http://youtube.com/v/hnCCqsen9zU

Yours truly

http://youtube.com/v/p-8c4On-nBk

http://youtube.com/v/WbWqXpgOytk

http://youtube.com/v/1r8i8EJes14

And we made WalesOnline Smile

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/snow-pen-y-fan-gives-16093049

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 10-04-19 12:22; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
That 2nd run was terrifying Very Happy was expecting to slow down as it levelled out but wasn't happening and thought if I made a turn at that speed I'd be over the side!

I have a bit of a phobia for those narrow sections Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy