Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Scooter Christmas

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all
Looking for advice as me and another non skier would like a few days in the Alps over Christmas where we can hire and use snow scooters.
I did this year's ago and had a ball so would like to repeat the experience with my gf who has never skied but is a very accomplished motorcycle rider.
We are looking at Tignes / Val at the moment but would really appreciate any advice
We will be driving down and are looking at doing 4 days either over Christmas or from boxing day onwards
Thanks in advance
Mark
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Markymark9999, I think that in France at least you can only use scooters in very, very controlled situations, e.g. on a track. You definitely can't just rock up and hire them. It might even be EU regulation as they are eye-wateringly dangerous.

Would help if you knew what you were googling for... https://www.sport-decouverte.com/scooter-des-neiges-rhone-alpes.html

Not sure if that's enough fun for 4 days!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Do you mean scooters or bikes? Most French resorts seem to have one or another but it is a bit of a fringe activity i.e. people arsing around for half a day typically. There was someone used to do it here but IIRC that's because she and her husband had found skiing too hard as they got older

Best hitting up the Tourist info sites for resorts you are interested in.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@under a new name, You're talking snowmobiles/skidoos aren't you?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Apologies sorry that's not what I meant...
I mean these;
https://www.longway-sports.com/snowscoot/
Thank you
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
"Snow Scooter" can mean quite a few different things.

https://www.google.at/search?q=snowscooter&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjexI7omePeAhVOMewKHRf5AF0Q_AUIDigB&biw=1680&bih=901
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Isn't this the more usual type of thing? http://www.axissnowtrikes.com/index.html
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The most i've seen them in use is Val Cenis, Lansvillard.

Quite a few of the shops hired them out and saw a fair few on the mountain, often groups of people together.

I've no idea about regulations but there appeared no restrictions there as all I saw where on piste. All seemed to have tethers for safety so they couldn't be released onto other's using the slopes in the advent of unintended dismount Very Happy

They don't look that easy to ride but I've not tried one.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Markymark9999, oh I see.

That's completely different although I'm not personally sure very much safer! I might stick with the ice driving myself Happy

Could, as DoTM says, either "scoots" or "bikes" - maybe "velos". Fat e-bikes might be a giggle.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've heard from people that admittedly were pretty decent skiers that the bikes are pretty intuitive. Their main complaint was once they'd put in the hour or so to master it everything was the same, a bit like rolling down a gentle tarmac road on a bike and yet to take them anywhere more interesting like offpiste or in bumps was clearly beyond the design capabilities of the tool. Maybe they were wrong on the latter but I've no reason to doubt them on the former.

Maybe that's why snowbike holidays aren't really a thing.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Velogemel. Very popular in the Bernese Oberland and you can rent them easily in Grindelwald.

https://swisspicks.wordpress.com/2014/02/02/grindelwald-riding-the-velogemel/
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There are one or two pretty wicked draglifts in the Espace Diamant which forbid them. They do look fairly pointless, after the first enjoyable hour of mucking around and on difficult slopes, if you went for a burton, I imagine that being tethered to them could become fairly painful (though much safer for everybody else).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Do you mean these
http://youtube.com/v/jAiyI7uqKjI At which point they are readily available in Les Arcs and I am sure they are available in Tignes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've seen peeps on them in Tignes 2 years ago. Presume there didn't have their lift pass taken away Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Markymark9999, These are probably fun for a while, but 4 days could be pushing it! If you're going for that long is there a reason you wouldn't get some skiing or boarding lessons - it's way more fun than the scooters.
snow conditions
I saw a rental shop in Val Thorens that had a few outside,
somewhere about here:
45.296600, 6.584467
ski holidays
You can hire them in the Grand Massif area as I've seen them used a lot. Theres a shop in the valley at Morillon that hires them for sure. Near the telecabin. No idea on costs/details.
snow report
I’ve always thought they look like a bit of fun but also a bit of a hassle and I’m sure they can’t be too comfortable for your back.

Most large resorts seem to have a reasonable number of them about so probably not too difficult, just head for somewhere with a decent number of the chain type ski rental shops (eg Tignes, La Plagne, Morzine, VT etc etc).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy