Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skins and nordic bindings

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am thinking about getting a second hand pair of skins and some nordic bindings and using them for climbing up snow covered terrain.

Do I need another set of boots for these bindings or will normal ski boots suffice?
Can I just use the skins without special bindings?
Are second hand skins likely to be useful or will they be damaged and so rendered useless?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Boots, skis, bindings & skins are all totally different from alpine.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Bigtipper, you mean touring tech (Dynafit) bindings? For which you need touring boots with moulded-in inserts in the toe?

Or Nordic BC (back country) bindings that go on back country skis and need boots with a bar under the toe?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Themasterpiece, I am considering whether skinning up a hill is more efficient than hiking and carrying skis and boots. To determine this at a reasonable cost, I am considering putting skins on normal downhill skis, boots and bindings. It has never generally been worthwhile for me to get skins, as most of the time when hiking up hills there is not enough snow and way too many rocks to skin up.

I am really not going to buy new boots, bindings, and skins as this would be overkill for what is required. Small areas of deep snow might need covered, but generally there will be a well trodden or wind blown path.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A pair of skins and some Alpine Trekkers (or similar) is all you need.

You won't be able to skin very far without a pivot at the front of your boot - this is what the Alpine Trekkers provide.

Your downhill boots will be perfectly adequate for short distances - just loosen the buckles.

Oh, and it's hot work so make sure you have decent breathable clothing.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have thought about it some more, and for the short time I would have the skins on it does not seem worth the effort of taking my backpack off, unpacking my skis, putting skins on, boots on, and then having to take them all off again when I cannot use the skis any more due to rocks. When I come across a hill which contains enough snow to merit skins all the way to the top I will think about it again.

Best just to trudge through deep snow for short period than take all the stuff off your back.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I skin over rocks and grass and thin snow cover, also skin across small brooks too, so do most other back country tourers at some point - its par for the course. We call the kit - rock skis - and its usually a beat up pair of piste skis with touring bindings and old skins Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sounds like you might be interested in a variant they call Approach Skis:

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Gear/Approach-Skis

They're short - like blades - but with a hinged binding. You can use your walking boots so no need to swap to ski boots. Nor great skiing but they're just about as fast uphill.

If you're only interested in the downhill: a friend has a pair of blades he takes with him on winter hikes. No hinge (or skins) but they still work with his leather boots. Bit ungainly but it works for him.

Alternatively, consider snow shoes. I've seen several folks in the back of beyond using these - even a snowboarder following a bunch of ski-tourers!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
altis wrote:
Sounds like you might be interested in a variant they call Approach Skis:

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Gear/Approach-Skis

They're short - like blades - but with a hinged binding. You can use your walking boots so no need to swap to ski boots. Nor great skiing but they're just about as fast uphill.

Amazed there is a whole category of ski that I’ve never hear of Very Happy

I’ve seen (and been jealous of) climbers on Ben Nevis with snow blades for the way down, but I didn’t realise they could be adapted for the way up!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy